Guest 86guns

Mods when your car is on a PCP

Guest 86guns

I recently contacted my finance company to "get agreement" for some modifications. Nothing major, but the answers surprised me:

Mud flaps - accepted (a good job since they're already on)

Upgraded speakers (such as Focal is165toy) - not acceptable 

Remap - not acceptable (I kinda expected this)

This left me wondering what others do if their car is on finance. Turn a blind eye and say nowt, or keep the car stock until it's paid off? I must admit the unwillingness to allow me to upgrade the speakers surprised me.

Blimey, I did all of those including replacing all the audio, fitting active suspension, remap, exhaust and included in that were Focal 3 speakers! I didn't bother asking them!  In fact I junked all the audio a month into ownership! 

But I did buy the car at the end. Though I admit at the time I wasn't exactly sure what I'd do, but it's more that I would have had to change it back to stock as I kept all the stock parts. As long as the finance company isn't out of pocket it won't matter. 

2 hours ago, GT86-Ian said:

Don't tell my finance company I have a turbo fitted :)

Haha same I had my turbo fitted on PCP  if ya gonna keep the car then it doesn't matter👍👍 ow and had JL AUDIO C3 speakers banged in when it was nearly a year old🤐🤐🙈🙈

if you know you can afford the monthly repayments and are going to keep the car at the end, go mad with the modifications, I modified my whilst on PCP and I even sold it before I had paid it off (used the money from the sale to pay it off) 

never bother telling the finance company that you are modding it and you'll be fine, the only time modifying the car is going to be an issue is if you have to hand the car back as you cannot afford the repayments/final payment

I think it's always an issue if the finance company find out, don't forget till it's paid off its their car not yours. (Assuming PCP or HP). I would guess reversible mods like wheels etc if you keep stock parts would be less likely to lead to problems but I exspect if they wanted they could still end the agreement as it's no doubt in small print. Best option in terms of modding is a personal loan as not linked to car.