Really :o They even replaced my rear screen when an element went. but I won't hijack the post with that lol

Just now, nikndel said:

Rayleigh? You have been lucky can't print what I think of them

Just now, Ulphy86 said:

Really :o

Oh yes useless bunch of twats far as I'm concerned and I'm not the only one who thinks that if you are near RRG Macclesfield  give them a go at least you will get a fair assessment 

Just now, nikndel said:

Oh yes useless bunch of twats far as I'm concerned and I'm not the only one who thinks that if you are near RRG Macclesfield  give them a go at least you will get a fair assessment 

Only there for a day and a half that is the trouble and by there still 2 hours away

9 minutes ago, Ulphy86 said:

To be fair though, it does seem to be cheaper if you shop around, so might be worth a look

Motorline have all of three of the franchises local-ish to me ... been calling around and the next nearest (30 miles away) can do it for £168. Just think it is off that the franchise sold me the car and then doesn't have the capabilities of doing something that seems so simple, at a reasonable price compared to other franchises...

Just now, GT86_Girl said:

Motorline have all of three of the franchises local-ish to me ... been calling around and the next nearest (30 miles away) can do it for £168. Just think it is off that the franchise sold me the car and then doesn't have the capabilities of doing something that seems so simple, at a reasonable price...

That's a bit better, to be honest I may get in touch with my dealer (It was a third  part one) to see if they have any idea what I could do.

1 minute ago, Ulphy86 said:

Only there for a day and a half that is the trouble and by there still 2 hours away

All I can suggest is find someone with the correct gas and get it recharged taking it that's the problem is low on gas they should vac it out first to remove all moisture which is the enemy of aircon then see if  they can check for leaks but If you go to non Toyota outlet you will pay but you most probably will anyway if it wasn't for the special gas I may have been able to get it done where I work but we use the other stuff

2 minutes ago, nikndel said:

All I can suggest is find someone with the correct gas and get it recharged taking it that's the problem is low on gas they should vac it out first to remove all moisture which is the enemy of aircon then see if  they can check for leaks but If you go to non Toyota outlet you will pay but you most probably will anyway if it wasn't for the special gas I may have been able to get it done where I work but we use the other stuff

Thanks anyway, I will have a look into it :)

2 minutes ago, Ulphy86 said:

Thanks anyway, I will have a look into it :)

I think the gas is like £130 a kilo your car won't need that I think but most people charge for a kilo anyway let us know if you get a positive result

6 hours ago, Rich196 said:

Its just annoying that some cars were made with the cheap stuff. I have been looking to replacing the various parts to put it back to the cheap gas, but the toyota parts list system is awful, and a lot of the dealers dont know that cars between 2014 and 2015 ran the cheap stuff.

It looks to me you to swap it out you need 3 bits of aluminium piping at £60 a pop and maybe a new aircon compressor at around £500. Although my car has a sticker on the aircon pump that lists both gasses.

I wouldn't bother swapping over with RRG charging £99

7 hours ago, GT86_Girl said:

Is this a warranty issue? I thought the gas would be considered a consumable part, so not covered?

Why? I've done a 100K had my car 4.5 years it still works. Every car is fitted with this refrigerant so it will get cheaper everywhere. The trick is to run with your AC on all the time and never turn it off. 

I sort of get why it's a consumable but I'd expect it to last an easy five years more like ten. My old AE86 when I got it was 26 years old it still had working AC. Mark has a 16 year old Yaris. The AC still works. I think it's fair to expect to re-gas it at 10 years or so, but I'm very surprised at the number of GT's with this issue. 

20 hours ago, nikndel said:

Fair comment if is wasn't a leak where did it go?

He reckoned it hadn't been gassed since new,don't you lose it over time?

34 minutes ago, Ulphy86 said:

He reckoned it hadn't been gassed since new,don't you lose it over time?

I've had a chat with guy s at work they work on refridgeration but can check and regas cars they say you can loose 10% of gas over a year so wouldn't expect our cars to run out in a couple of years 

Richard offered to recharge mine, after 100K and 4.5 years as I'm off to Germany in a couple of weeks. Thing is, it's still ice cold, I've noticed no drop in efficiency. So I'm not going to bother on this occasion. 

On 7/18/2017 at 1:35 PM, GT86_Girl said:

Mine has simply run out of gas... car is 4 1/2 years old now :-(

I spoke to Toyota GB this morning and they were less than helpful ... basically said it was tough luck.

I would say that it is a warranty issue. Given the age of your car I assume that it was, like mine, fitted with the 'expensive' air con coolant HFO 1234yf in line with the EU directive that came in to force for new cars in 2011 (before a challenge by Daimler who pointed out it is a fire risk in crash situations), as opposed to the regular 'cheap' R134a gas that you can get topped up at the likes of Kwik Fit for £30-40 a pop.

However, the point about 1234yf is that while it is expensive (largely due to a DuPont manuacturer monopoly) , unlike the cheap gas that normally needs a top up every 2 years or so as it slowly leaks naturally, 1234yf should not normally leak at all (to do molecule size I think) , hence it being considered 'greener' as it should last the lifetime of a car and so overall less gas is needed (and over the lifetime of a car it would also then be cheaper).

So given 1234yf shouldn't ever need re-gassing, if yours does then that would to me indicate a leak in your system, and if there is a leak in your system and your car is less than 5 years old I would be insisting that it is treated as a warranty rather than a consumable wear and tear issue (not least because unless you find the leak a re-gas will not last very long).

As an aside, the seals in the air con circuit apparently need the air con to be regularly used to stop them failing, so if you don't have it on all year round (like me) at least use it once a week for a good while.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:35 PM, GT86_Girl said:

Mine has simply run out of gas... car is 4 1/2 years old now :-(

I spoke to Toyota GB this morning and they were less than helpful ... basically said it was tough luck.

I would say that it is a warranty issue. Given the age of your car I assume that it was, like mine, fitted with the 'expensive' air con coolant HFO 1234yf in line with the EU directive that came in to force for new cars in 2011 (before a challenge by Daimler who pointed out it is a fire risk in crash situations), as opposed to the regular 'cheap' R134a gas that you can get topped up at the likes of Kwik Fit for £30-40 a pop.

However, the point about 1234yf is that while it is expensive (largely due to a DuPont manuacturer monopoly) , unlike the cheap gas that normally needs a top up every 2 years or so as it slowly leaks naturally, 1234yf should not normally leak at all (to do molecule size I think) , hence it being considered 'greener' as it should last the lifetime of a car and so overall less gas is needed (and over the lifetime of a car it would also then be cheaper).

So given 1234yf shouldn't ever need re-gassing, if yours does then that would to me indicate a leak in your system, and if there is a leak in your system and your car is less than 5 years old I would be insisting that it is treated as a warranty rather than a consumable wear and tear issue (not least because unless you find the leak a re-gas will not last very long).

As an aside, the seals in the air con circuit apparently need the air con to be regularly used to stop them failing, so if you don't have it on all year round (like me) at least use it once a week for a good while.

On 7/27/2017 at 4:41 PM, nikndel said:

I've had a chat with guy s at work they work on refridgeration but can check and regas cars they say you can loose 10% of gas over a year so wouldn't expect our cars to run out in a couple of years 

But when it gets below a certain pressure it shuts down the compressor ... so 40-50% would probably be enough.

Just phoned my local dealership as mine isn’t running cold enough . They quoted £170, l didn’t realise how old this thread was so said rgg do it for £100. They have offered to price match 😁. This will be the second time in less than 3 years. They had checked for leaks last time and found none. ☹️

Spent all day in the car yesterday as was wondering how cold it should be. Even with mine set to "low" it doesn't seem that cold, or is it just because it is so hot out side and the system isn't that great in our cars.