jw191

I'm new here

Hi, I'm new here. Newbies seemed like a good place to start. Had my 16' Stock Black GT86 for a few months now. I live in Hampshire.

Obligatory pic:

image1noplate.thumb.jpg.819299cc9eaa8b00e6eb6962687c36c4.jpg

Looking forward to learning more and maybe see some of you at meets.

Cheers all. No firm plans for the car. I'll be doing 25k per year in it and need most of the warranty intact. I de-badged the boot, fitted mudflaps and a Brodit phone holder, but that is all so far. Looked into stereo upgrades but couldn't convince myself to spend two and a half grand on a custom install or a little less on the OEM+, when it will hang off the existing amp (to keep stock look). Might do 20mm wheel spacers, and the whiteline sub-frame bushings. Probably some Michelin PSS at the next tyre change. If anyone has any must have, non-warranty invalidating mods I'd love to hear about them.

I saw the Beaulieu event. Will check dates :).

That's a shiny as it's going to get. 20Hrs of cleaning, polishing and sealing before that pic!

10 hours ago, jw191 said:

Cheers all. No firm plans for the car. I'll be doing 25k per year in it and need most of the warranty intact. I de-badged the boot, fitted mudflaps and a Brodit phone holder, but that is all so far. Looked into stereo upgrades but couldn't convince myself to spend two and a half grand on a custom install or a little less on the OEM+, when it will hang off the existing amp (to keep stock look). Might do 20mm wheel spacers, and the whiteline sub-frame bushings. Probably some Michelin PSS at the next tyre change. If anyone has any must have, non-warranty invalidating mods I'd love to hear about them.

I saw the Beaulieu event. Will check dates :).

That's a shiny as it's going to get. 20Hrs of cleaning, polishing and sealing before that pic!

For the first three years of owning my car I did 25K or so miles. Four and a half years later I'm on 99K miles! You can do a fair bit without worrying about invalidating the warranty, with things like exhaust, induction and suspension and I admit, I spent £3K on a custom install a month after getting the car. Well worth having decent sounds if you like your music and do the miles. In fact when I ordered my car, my dealer gave me the option of an exhaust and induction kit, so I ticked that box. There are a lot of us that have done these kind of mods with no problem with the warranty. So if you change your exhaust it will invalidate the warranty on your exhaust but not on the rest of the car. I'm having a full polybush kit fitted in the next two weeks, adjustable lower suspension arms too. 

So, thinks like exhaust, decat, air filter, wheels and some good coilovers are a good way to go. A remap and exhaust manifold makes very good gains if you choose carefully too. That's happening for me in three weeks time. :) 

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

For the first three years of owning my car I did 25K or so miles. Four and a half years later I'm on 99K miles! You can do a fair bit without worrying about invalidating the warranty, with things like exhaust, induction and suspension and I admit, I spent £3K on a custom install a month after getting the car. Well worth having decent sounds if you like your music and do the miles. In fact when I ordered my car, my dealer gave me the option of an exhaust and induction kit, so I ticked that box. There are a lot of us that have done these kind of mods with no problem with the warranty. So if you change your exhaust it will invalidate the warranty on your exhaust but not on the rest of the car. I'm having a full polybush kit fitted in the next two weeks, adjustable lower suspension arms too. 

So, thinks like exhaust, decat, air filter, wheels and some good coilovers are a good way to go. A remap and exhaust manifold makes very good gains if you choose carefully too. That's happening for me in three weeks time. :) 

All sounds like a lot of fun. I'm watching the pennies a bit at the moment. Buying an 86 was the least 'sensible' decision I've made for a while so still coming to terms with that :)

3 hours ago, don said:

Welcome! 

I'm probably doing around the same mileage your estimating. It's a nice car to do it in!

I'm about 50K miles in and it's been trouble free motoring - touch wood :lol:

I wouldn't worry about your warranty that much as whatever you replace on invalidates it on on that part. So just don't touch the engine! 

Yep, it's been fine on the commute. I've been driving C1's for 10 years so its definitely an upgrade.

38 minutes ago, Subota Boy said:

Welcome James.  Good to see you on here too!

Beaulieu is a great day out!!

Ahh, a familiar face ;) I'll see you at Beaulieu!