ThatGuyThere

Supercharger stopped working?

5 hours ago, GT86Jay said:

VVTi Might be failing. 

I have had this in the past. VVTi doesn't switch correctly and you lose all your cam control. 

Exhaust note goes horrible and tinny and rattly. No power low down and drives like shit. 

You can't monitor it without an ECUTek Dongle though unfortunately. 

The HKS V2 Kits have been known to lose drive on the shaft too. They've got a clever clutch system in which disengages at light cruise to reduce drag. If this is stuck open then it'll never be spinning the impeller. 

But i'd definitely check the VVTi first. When Mine failed it was awful. 

How do you monitor it with the torque app?

1 hour ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

How do you monitor it with the torque app?

I think you need to use the Ecutek dongle as Jay mentioned. I don't think torque will do it unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gringosteve said:

Dashcommand monitors cam angle but not sure what healthy values are? Where are you based mate?

When the AVCS stops working, it tends to stop operating and therefore the values are static. On a working system they are constantly changing so it'll be obvious.

The easy way to check the OP's issue is the manifold pressure readings, as you'll know when it's in positive pressure etc and therefore actually boosting.

Logged on my N/A car for you, to the right you can see max, min and average values for each VVTI sensor

Hope this helps in some way, if you are near Stockport I will gladly run this on your car for you, as well as full diagnostics.

794fa10da63fa5b75dd2dc784ae940ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Gringosteve said:

Logged on my N/A car for you, to the right you can see max, min and average values for each VVTI sensor

Hope this helps in some way, if you are near Stockport I will gladly run this on your car for you, as well as full diagnostics.

794fa10da63fa5b75dd2dc784ae940ba.jpg

That doesn't look like it's working or logging correctly. You should be seeing 0-40 degrees-ish on both intake and exhaust.

1 minute ago, Gringosteve said:

Not sure what FR means

Usually From Rest I believe. Intake rest retarded so angle shows angles Advanced and the opposite is true for the Exhaust. Here's an example drive on mine:

Screenshot_2017-06-21_18.11.52.png

Can't believe this much time has passed!

So it's still not working right - fuel economy is constistently higher than it was prior to last May, and it's still hugely down on power. I finally did as advised today by @Mark@Abbey M/S and removed the intake pipe, and the impeller is spinning fine on tickover. Also, when not running if I gently push/pull on the impellor it moves the belt/pulley slightly - so clearly at least PART of the SC gearbox works.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I've bought myself a cheap runaround for now to allow me to get to the bottom of what's wrong with the GT86.

It continues to drive fine, and strangely last week on a run I did feel a large increase of power at higher revs. But only that once.

Looking at the extensive thread on a different site about the HKS supercharger - when they fail they usually sieze and stop the car from runnging. Which is not what I've found.

Still no engine warning lights. Is there a device I can plug in to diagnose further?

15 hours ago, Lauren said:

If you've been trying to sort it for this long, I'd give up and take it to Abbey. 

All I've done is drive it for 10 months! - Down/up side of it otherwise running fine. First attempt to sort it is this. It likely will need an expert to look at it but I'm trying to rule the basics out.