ThatGuyThere

Supercharger stopped working?

Noticed a lack of pull today especially in higher revs, which is where the supercharger usually makes its-self known.

Everything looks normal under the bonnet. Anything I can check before I try to find a local and reliable garage?

5 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Noticed a lack of pull today especially in higher revs, which is where the supercharger usually makes its-self known.

Everything looks normal under the bonnet. Anything I can check before I try to find a local and reliable garage?

Belt slip perhaps

how severe is the lacking?

7 minutes ago, Ade said:

Belt slip perhaps

how severe is the lacking?

I wish I could be more accurate....I think it's barely there, if at all. No mid-range urge and no back of the seat push at higher end. Never had it standard though so hard to be precise.

Just now, Adamd said:

I wish I could be more accurate....I think it's barely there, if at all. No mid-range urge and no back of the seat push at higher end. Never had it standard though so hard to be precise.

That would be severe then!! Different between stock and SC'd is quite large. Is yours the Cosworth kit? 

2 minutes ago, Adamd said:

HKS. The exhaust tone is quite different too.

No check engine lights?  Seems odd.  Get it booked into somewhere that knows what they are doing. 

8 minutes ago, Ade said:

No check engine lights?  Seems odd.  Get it booked into somewhere that knows what they are doing. 

Yeah that's what I thought.

Just asking around now for an experienced garage. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

11 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Yeah that's what I thought.

Just asking around now for an experienced garage. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'd probably ring abbey Motorsport because there's a reasonable chance they were the ones who did the stroker kit and SC install (it was you who runs the stroker kit wasn't it)?

Just now, Bfranklyn86 said:

I'd probably ring abbey Motorsport because there's a reasonable chance they were the ones who did the stroker kit and SC install (it was you who runs the stroker kit wasn't it)?

No, I don't think so :D

This has the HKS v2 supercharger, and standard internals as far as I know - it was fitted by Abbey a few years ago by previous owner but I'm now 300 miles away from them sadly :(

Hmm sorry to hear this. 

You can try one of the other traders (Fensport or Tuning Developments) if they are closer to you, I think they know about the supercharger kits? And I would rather go to one of the traders that have been working on our GT86's/BRZ's for years rather than a standard garage. 

Just now, Cerastes said:

Hmm sorry to hear this. 

You can try one of the other traders (Fensport or Tuning Developments) if they are closer to you, I think they know about the supercharger kits? And I would rather go to one of the traders that have been working on our GT86's/BRZ's for years rather than a standard garage. 

Same, to be honest. Hoping to find somewhere local who does modifications to have a quick look in the hope it's something simple.

Now it's cooled down, gonna go have a look myself and see if anything is hanging off - any exploded diagrams of what I should be looking at?! Supercharger's are all new to me...

I guess basic things to check from a look under the bonnet is:

Is the belt that drives the super charger spinning?

Does traction fluid reservoir have fluid in it?

I'd say check if the belt is tight enough. Look on the inner side of the belt if it is damaged (do that when engine is OFF). 
Secondly check for any loose connections on the pipes from the SC to the intake manifold and the intercooler to SC. It could be split air pipe or loose connection somewhere. 
Thirdly and less likely look at the condition of the intercooler, look for any severe damages to the front of it. 

I don't know if it's a passive or active bypass on these, but as everything seems okay mechanically it would suggest an air leak to me. Either bypass valve stuck open or a hose popped off.

Not to be out of order but just in case you know how to change maps via the cruise control? If you do disregard the following.

If not you could of put it in some kind of low traction map by accident. I know mark at Abbey put one in on my car when I was supercharged. Just a thought bud.

4 hours ago, Ade said:

It's unlikely to throw a CEL if the SC fails. There have been a few reported instances of failure from the USA of the HKS superchargers.

2 hours ago, Adamd said:

Is it worth trying to reset the ECU?

Unlikley that will make any difference, the ECU wouldn't just stop making power without a CEL due to an issue.

Have a read through some of this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89226&page=34

To quote a French member:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
I still wonder what it is causing problems only in Russia, and now France. We've sold hundreds of these kits in the U.S. and haven't had any warranty issues on the
supercharger itself that I recall.

Originally Posted by Koj

Torry, I m agree : there is a lot of HKS kit that work well.
But for only 2 or 3 problems, HKS give no reason, just "Yes it is under warranty" or "no it isn't". So some ideas can come up ...
My car is sleeping in my garage all year at 20/25°C. I see no snow & no ice.
But my supercharger stopped to turn, even if the belt & the pulley ran normally. sic!

20 hours ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

I would say the gearbox in the SC unit will have failed. Remove the intake pipe into the SC unit and start the car up you should see the impeller rotate if it isnt the gearbox has failed.

Any questions ask away

Is that what is referred to in the HkS fitting guide as the 'suction pipe'?

Excuse my ignorance.

Also, is continuing to drive it going to make things worse?

Many thanks Mark @Mark@Abbey M/S

VVTi Might be failing. 

I have had this in the past. VVTi doesn't switch correctly and you lose all your cam control. 

Exhaust note goes horrible and tinny and rattly. No power low down and drives like shit. 

You can't monitor it without an ECUTek Dongle though unfortunately. 

The HKS V2 Kits have been known to lose drive on the shaft too. They've got a clever clutch system in which disengages at light cruise to reduce drag. If this is stuck open then it'll never be spinning the impeller. 

But i'd definitely check the VVTi first. When Mine failed it was awful.