Bfranklyn86

Benjamin Franklyn's 86

Hi all,

I thought I'd do a build thread for two reasons: firstly, although I've only done 2 significant mods so far, they have transformed the driving experience in terms of added performance and enjoyment gained. Secondly, I'm poised to make a few more upgrades and would appreciate any guidance. 

I got my silver '13 GT86 with no ambition to modify it, as the last car I'd owned was a bone stock Toyota starlet......... so the 86 was a big step up! However, about 6 months into ownership the torque dip was starting to annoy me, and I thought the car had unused potential because it is light (ish), has a low center of gravity and a good chassis.  I also did one track day while the car was stock which confirmed to me that the car could use a tad more power in this domain too.

Overall, my aim is to keep this car as a comfortable daily driver which can also hold it's own (reliably) on track. My second aim is to avoid the look and sound of a heavily modded car.

Mod 1) Harrop Supercharger (installed and tuned by Mark at Abbey). 240whp, dyno'd on the hottest day of the year. 

Very happy with how this turned out - torque everywhere and it produces the power reliably lap after lap on track. It is not perfect, there are a couple of niggles (like hesitation at low revs when the engine is cold), but overall it has been fantastic. However, noting that the stock brakes had struggled on track even under NA power, I soon realised I needed to do something about the brakes: 

Mod 2) AP Racing front BBK. 4 piston. (I've also got Stoptech disks/pads on the rear)

This has been another great buy. I have not experienced any brake fade since they were fitted. And no longer any squeal....that was worth the 2.2K alone.

Minor Mods: I also have an Extreme Organic Clutch, the intec high level brake light, and have swapped the Primmies for PS4s.

Now for the exciting bit......my wish list!!!!

- Catback: I think this car deserves a more aggressive/louder exhaust note. However, I do not want it too loud so that it sounds obnoxious or attracts too much attention, and my GF has said she is not a fan of loud cars. @Ade's custom Hayward & Scott catback is probably the one I'd go for because it is quiet in the RPM ranges where I usually drive - 2-3k. Unless good quality second hand catback comes up really really cheap in the meantime.

- Suspension: I like the way this car twitches around a bit on country roads, but lets be honest the stock suspension is much too 'floppy' on track. Currently looking at coilovers but I have a lot of research to do. I do want to lower it just a little bit, I do want to be able to adjust damping from track to road use, and I want to be able to add some camber. I'm happy to spend a bit of money here, because i'm not willing to compromise too much on the stock ride quality.

- Wheels: While I think this would be a good place to save some weight, the price of good quality forged wheels is prohibitive for me. They also fail the 'keep stock look' test, so unless the right style set come along at the right price, I will not be getting any.

- Cosmetic: The valenti sequentials look really nice, but can't decide what colour is best for Silver. Also, I want an ebay rear diffuser.

Right, thanks for reading! As I suspect I am the only one who will read this, I will therefore thank myself. I'm really happy with the mods I've made because the performance has been transformed, while the stock look, sound, and fun factor has not.  PLEASE, if you have any suggestions to help with what I've mentioned on my wish list, let me know.

IMG_0853 (1).JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

Love the mods so far, I'd also recommend looking at the Invidia Q300 for a catback if noise supression is what you're after but with a nicer tone.

Can I ask how you're finding the clutch?

Nice. 

Probably a silly question but when you fit a supercharger doesn't the manifold get changed too? As I thought the manifold was a "limiting" factor; so surely fitting a supercharger and changing manifold would give you a better performance boost?

If so, that would make the exhaust note change slightly?

As Paul said, Q300 is a good catback for a better exhaust note but not being overly loud. It was the one I was planning to get until I came across a 2nd hand Avo; which I love. 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Love the mods so far, I'd also recommend looking at the Invidia Q300 for a catback if noise supression is what you're after but with a nicer tone.

Can I ask how you're finding the clutch?

The q300 is a good shout, and I would probably snap up a second hand one. However, two reasons why my number 1 preference is Ade's Hayward and Scott:

1) the q300 is (supposedly) quiet throughout the rev range, whereas the H+S has been designed to be quiet around the RPMs where you get the annoying cabin boom on WOT, but then louder when you want it to scream.

2)exhaust flow. The H+S is a 2.75" and it's a Y-shape. Unlike the q300 which is a back box.

The clutch has a slightly sharper biting point than stock. It's hard to say if it's responsible for any other changes because it went on simultaneously with the supercharger. Its fine for DD and for track, so overall I'm happy.

24 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Nice. 

Probably a silly question but when you fit a supercharger doesn't the manifold get changed too? As I thought the manifold was a "limiting" factor; so surely fitting a supercharger and changing manifold would give you a better performance boost?

If so, that would make the exhaust note change slightly?

As Paul said, Q300 is a good catback for a better exhaust note but not being overly loud. It was the one I was planning to get until I came across a 2nd hand Avo; which I love. 

Not a stupid question at all!

There is 17whp more at the top end on offer for me if I get an aftermarket catless manifold and a high flow cat centre pipe. I don't think it's worth it.

If I was ever to drop a pulley size (which Mark has told me unequivocally not to do) then I'd definitely do it. A guy in the states is making 280whp with just a tomei UEL manifold and a dropped pulley size..... rest of the exhaust stock

I also considered paying £330 to get the stock manifold cat removed - not sure what the horsepower gain is with this though.

Good to see another Harrop equipped car on here :-)

I went for the HKS Spec L, cruising around its no louder than stock but loud enough when you want it to be.

12 hours ago, DanJ said:

Good to see another Harrop equipped car on here :-)

I went for the HKS Spec L, cruising around its no louder than stock but loud enough when you want it to be.

I really like the spec L, and again, if a second hand one came along.........

But it is a bit louder than Ade's, also not a true Y shape, and more expensive. Getting a quieter exhaust covers me just in case I ever do the manifold.

They are pretty expensive now, I was lucky enough to buy mine when the price was lowest last year. Not planning on selling mine so can't help you there I'm afraid!

On 5/14/2017 at 2:07 PM, Bfranklyn86 said:

Hmmm.... genuinely difficult decision. The catback I want, or the catback that saves me £700...... money which could go towards an oil cooler (much needed) or some coilovers 

Honestly if you have heard a spec L and happy with it, then for £575 in good nick its a steal. Its one of my favorite exhausts.

0.25" smaller pipe difference and the sharper bends wont affect flow that much. My H&S will set you back £1200 (inc vat) fitted for a new one.

Alternatively you could buy a used H&S 2.5" cat back on the cheap. If its non resonated H&S can sell you a big box like I have for about £350 which is what @Rich196 has done. Additionally if you want bit more volume higher up but less low down for cruising, the Helmholtz can be added for a additional £330 inc vat fitted. 

4 hours ago, Ade said:

Honestly if you have heard a spec L and happy with it, then for £575 in good nick its a steal. Its one of my favorite exhausts.

0.25" smaller pipe difference and the sharper bends wont affect flow that much. My H&S will set you back £1200 (inc vat) fitted for a new one.

Alternatively you could buy a used H&S 2.5" cat back on the cheap. If its non resonated H&S can sell you a big box like I have for about £350 which is what @Rich196 has done. Additionally if you want bit more volume higher up but less low down for cruising, the Helmholtz can be added for a additional £330 inc vat fitted. 

My concern with the HKS is just it may be a bit loud. Apparently it's 91-93db at 5.5k rpm, which would be more for mine as supercharged. This is significantly louder than your system, right?

I just spoke to Ian who interestingly said he thought he could achieve the same drone-deletion at low revs by redesigning the shape of the back boxes,  rather than using the helmhotz. He said he did it for a customer at the weekend. 

Offered me a 2.5" system, small centre silencer, and the redisgned back boxes for £550+ VAT. 

Thoughts?

Without seeing details I couldn't comment. He knows the neck length and size was well as the volume of the chamber are important and has my spreadsheet to do the maths. 

He probably incorporated the helmholtz into each of the bigger single box like an OEM solution.  

Was it a GT86 he did it on?  I shall P.m. you

Mine was 80 dB(A) static at 4500rpm when measured at Bedford if that helps.

Stock manifold, Cobra HFC and Spec L catback.

3 hours ago, DanJ said:

That is very helpful, thanks. That seems a bit below the noise level some others have recorded.

Just now, Bfranklyn86 said:

That is very helpful, thanks. That seems a bit below the noise level some others have recorded.

My spec L with stock 2nd cat and JDL catted manifold measured higher than Ade's exhaust set up did but having listened to Ade's video I'd say it's definitely quieter. Problem is probably that unless they're all measured with the same equipment in exactly the same way the measurements won't be the greatest for comparison purposes.

Just an update on this exhaust:

The spec L did look nice, but, second hand it is only slightly cheaper than a new h+s system, and I also would prefer to keep the stock tail pipes.

I have ordered the following from Hayward and Scott:

2.5", extra large centre silencer with redesigned 'anti-drone' back boxes. I have not gone for the helmholtz at this stage, but crucially there is room to have them welded if needed. £575 +VAT.

I spoke to Ian about those boxes. He made them for a customer that wanted loud. He made the small chambers built into there boxes a bit bigger and reduced the amount of absorbtion silencing. Not sure where the anti drone idea came from as the customer whizzed off before it was tested.

On 5/16/2017 at 3:43 PM, DanJ said:

On 5/16/2017 at 7:35 PM, Deacon said:

My spec L with stock 2nd cat and JDL catted manifold measured higher than Ade's exhaust set up did but having listened to Ade's video I'd say it's definitely quieter. Problem is probably that unless they're all measured with the same equipment in exactly the same way the measurements won't be the greatest for comparison purposes.

Mine was measured as 76dB at bedford last  December. That was before the Helmholtz were fitted, but their measurements massively vary. 

The Helmholtz made it a bit louder at higher revs but massively reduced the 3krpms drone when going WOT on the motorway to the point where it is a nice low pitch hum at WOT and not something that draws your attention. 

When I measured SPL with my non calibrated SPL meter at 45deg, 1meter away it was about 83dB @ 5500rpms with the helmholtz when hot. Cold its about 3-5dB less. 

12 hours ago, Ade said:

I spoke to Ian about those boxes. He made them for a customer that wanted loud. He made the small chambers built into there boxes a bit bigger and reduced the amount of absorbtion silencing. Not sure where the anti drone idea came from as the customer whizzed off before it was tested.

He told me it was less drony when he listened in the shop. But anyway, I'm aware I may end up getting the helmholtz added in the future.

12 hours ago, Ade said: I spoke to Ian about those boxes. He made them for a customer that wanted loud. He made the small chambers built into there boxes a bit bigger and reduced the amount of absorbtion silencing. Not sure where the anti drone idea came from as the customer whizzed off before it was tested.

He told me it was less drony when he listened in the shop. But anyway, I'm aware I may end up getting the helmholtz added in the future.

He cant hold revs and go WOT in the shop chap unless on a dyno. Anyway see how it goes you may be okay withbit as it is. But expect it to be a few dB louder at 5k rpms due to the reduced absorbtion chamber size.