Sign in to follow this  
infernouk

Prospective owner, some questions!

Hey all,

Just signed up as ive been looking at a GT86 since they came out back around 2012 but have been too busy with sorting my career out to consider taking on a new car, ive been driving a 1.0 corsa i bought new until now. 

Im looking at a few different purchase routes for the 86 and wanted some insight from owners as to what are the most sensible.

First im trying to decide between used vs new, new means i can get the new MY17 car but the finance is stupid at 5.9% APR so its not a good move money wise, alternatively there are nearly new cars for 20k ish with more sensible dealer finance, some around 2.9% ive seen on auto trader.

Finally there are the more aged cars, around 30k miles and some from 2012 onward, my concern here is mechanical issues? Im 25 and driven a car i bought new since my first car, so i have no experience with used cars and really dont want to shell out to find something bad happen, so partly coming here to ask, has that happened to anyone / can it get pricey? 

Thanks for some insight an help picking the best route to ownership! it will be my daily driver replacing my corsa

The GT86 comes with a 5 year warranty, so as long as a second-hand car has been serviced in accordance with Toyota's requirements, you should be OK. That said, major issues seem to be rare.

Also, many people bought these as second/weekend cars, so you can find older (2012/2013) cars with much less than 30k miles.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

The GT86 comes with a 5 year warranty, so as long as a second-hand car has been serviced in accordance with Toyota's requirements, you should be OK. That said, major issues seem to be rare.

Also, many people bought these as second/weekend cars, so you can find older (2012/2013) cars with much less than 30k miles.

Thanks I have seen some as low as single thousands for about 14kish, ideally i think id like a used 2015 model as thats 3 years warranty still which may be my length of ownership! I also wondered if there is a guide to trim levels anywhere as it seemed to develop over the last models lifespan that there were more and more trims! 

3 minutes ago, Adamd said:

I would never consider buying new unless you really want a particular spec.

Its more the new MY17 car seems to have a lot of updates and refinements, also silly reason, but i despise the red interior stitching and they got rid of it on the 2017 model! But i may have to over look that factor!

1 hour ago, infernouk said:

Its more the new MY17 car seems to have a lot of updates and refinements, also silly reason, but i despise the red interior stitching and they got rid of it on the 2017 model! But i may have to over look that factor!

From what ive read the improvements are incredibly minor is seems there is a slightly better ratio final drive and just a bit more of a balanced car with a few minor tweaks to make it a bit better but much the same car, steering wheel buttons, make ur own suede dash for £100 : ) ,xenons, different front end, slightly nicer wheels. It almost justifies buying one of the slightly used MY17's however its something like 5K more investment and probably 3k worse depreciation and this money would be much better spent on the slightly older car and bah, id rather the aero anyway : )

17 minutes ago, jevvy said:

From what ive read the improvements are incredibly minor is seems there is a slightly better ratio final drive and just a bit more of a balanced car with a few minor tweaks to make it a bit better but much the same car, steering wheel buttons, make ur own suede dash for £100 : ) ,xenons, different front end, slightly nicer wheels. It almost justifies buying one of the slightly used MY17's however its something like 5K more investment and probably 3k worse depreciation and this money would be much better spent on the slightly older car and bah, id rather the aero anyway : )

The UK doesn't get the different final drive ratio and the UK cars (bar the primo) already have xenons

9 minutes ago, Tareim said:

The UK doesn't get the different final drive ratio and the UK cars (bar the primo) already have xenons

so does this strengthen going for a used model then?

and i do like the aero but they are all sitting at 20k!

Just now, infernouk said:

so does this strengthen going for a used model then?

and i do like the aero but they are all sitting at 20k!

doesn't matter if you go for pre/post facelift, they both have the same final drive

36 minutes ago, Tareim said:

doesn't matter if you go for pre/post facelift, they both have the same final drive

did just americans get it? I watched a video where it said 60 could no longer be reached in second due to this

Just now, jevvy said:

did just americans get it? I watched a video where it said 60 could no longer be reached in second due to this

yes, we didn't get it as it effected the emissions result iirc

17 hours ago, jevvy said:

You can't hit 60 in second anyway on the older car. No there is absolutely definitely no change to the final drive or power output. The new car has LED's not HID's as the old car has. Other markets got the revision changes, but it is not just limited to North America. Europe doesn't get it. Likely due to emissions regs and higher speed limits. 

At the OP, if you are going to keep the car for a long time, I would see if you could stretch to the MY2017 car. If you could get a pre-reg, result. It's a better car than the old one and is a nicer place to be. In years to come, it will be the newer model that people want, so it may help residuals. 

If you can't make the maths work, get a car that is no more than two years old and then you still have three years warranty left which is plenty. They are pretty strong mechanically. Yes, you will hear about it when it things go wrong, but the cars are quite robust. Coil packs seem to be dicky and this will throw an EML, but it is easy to get it replaced under warranty. I have done 96,000 miles plus and will soon hit 100K. My car is now in it's fourth year of sprinting, it's done a fair few trackdays and it's been round Europe four times! In all that mileage I've had two coilpacks (the same one twice!), a driveshaft (a known problem if you lower the car) and my heated seat switch has now stopped illuminating for the second time. The seat heater still works fine though. I'm still on my original clutch. The brakes last really well, it's a cheap car to run too. 

As far as mileage goes, I don't think there's an issue, but there are plenty of low mileage cars around. The most expensive services are at 60K and 80K, otherwise service costs are not too bad. 

Whatever one you choose to go with, it's well worth getting one with the leather/alcantara heated seat option. The sat nav option is over priced and is not very good. But it's easy to put another head unit in with whatever you want. 

If the warranty is important if you buy one with full service history this can be extended for another 2 yrs for £540 with Toyota when it hits 5yrs old anyway, so could save a few thousand buying a 2012/2013 model and do that too. I

MY17 has HIDs with LEDs in the other lights ... DLR, front sideand fogs, and rear clusters/high brake. Side repeaters are old-school W5W bulbs from what I can tell and possibly rear fog/reverse.

19 minutes ago, gazza82 said:

MY17 has HIDs with LEDs in the other lights ... DLR, front sideand fogs, and rear clusters/high brake. Side repeaters are old-school W5W bulbs from what I can tell and possibly rear fog/reverse.

MY2017 has LED headlights. It may well have LED's like the Zenki did for the DRL's but it has LED headlights. 

No reason not to buy used, but you'd do well to find someone that knows how to spot a dud to help you choose. It's very easy to miss stuff when you're not used to looking at older cars, and that can cost you time and money later to put right. I found a hole in the bottom of the boot of a 13-year-old I bought once! All the GT86's are still fairly young so everything ought to still look very good unless abused. The first '86 I looked at had odd tyres and yawed right under throttle. It had obviously been worked hard and I surmise it had been treated roughly by little clues around the car. The second one was mint, and I bought it. Very happy!

A savvy buyer looking at lightly used cars can save a fortune, but you don't get that new car thang.

Welcome inferno, I was in a similar position a couple years back. I will go against what has been said and say buy new. I bought new at the time as it made more sense than buying something which was 1-2 years old. First off I used a car broker, drive the deal to be precise, with Toyotas £1k deposit contribution using their PCP deal I saved  £5.5k on the spec I wanted, so straight away i was looking at a brand new 86 for £22k, putting it in second hand price terroritory, next comes the other perks of having new, there wasn't 10k-25k miles worth of wear and tear (tyres, brakes etc), I had the full 5 years of warranty, the car was taxed. No Brainer for me.

24 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Welcome inferno, I was in a similar position a couple years back. I will go against what has been said and say buy new. I bought new at the time as it made more sense than buying something which was 1-2 years old. First off I used a car broker, drive the deal to be precise, with Toyotas £1k deposit contribution using their PCP deal I saved  £5.5k on the spec I wanted, so straight away i was looking at a brand new 86 for £22k, putting it in second hand price terroritory, next comes the other perks of having new, there wasn't 10k-25k miles worth of wear and tear (tyres, brakes etc), I had the full 5 years of warranty, the car was taxed. No Brainer for me.

I looked there but they never have the 86 listed

I went used.

You can sort out your own finance cheaply enough nowadays.

Nothing too scary to look out for! I'd say travel for the right car, they can get cheaper the further north you go, with some great deals to be had with a little patience.

Don't be afraid of good quality aftermarket bits on car either.

Cheers guys, I've got broker offers of 25k on new cars that are decent but still far above used, Toyota finance is 5.9% so the cost over 3 years finance is big and almost makes new a terrible choice over used considering used values, warranty, and wider finance options.

when you guys speak about used finance what routes did you take? I looked at bank loans but as Apr is based on credit checks I can't actually see any real world prices!

6 hours ago, Falix said:

I went used.

You can sort out your own finance cheaply enough nowadays.

Nothing too scary to look out for! I'd say travel for the right car, they can get cheaper the further north you go, with some great deals to be had with a little patience.

Don't be afraid of good quality aftermarket bits on car either.

Agreed. I went all the way to Scotland for mine, then drove it back to London.