James

Fensport Ecutek Remap

Purchased used GT86 and found out next day that previous owner had had vehicle remapped using Fensport Ecutek software.  It was set on Map 2 and I have since switched it to Map 4 (non-super unleaded option).

1)  I assume that having used half tank of standard unleaded petrol whilst in Map 2 setting will not have caused damage/ created issues?!

2)  I have no wish to bear cost of super unleaded (sorry).  Am I better of just keeping in Map 4, or go back to standard "factory setting" Map (and if the latter, how is this achieved?)

3)  I presume previous owner will have voided 5 year Toyota warranty by remapping?

Hi James,

1) I think you'll be fine, though it is worth noting that even if you didn't have a remap it is recommended to run on 98 RON fuel, so super unleaded and the best fuel is Shell V-Power Nitro. 

2) You can get the maps removed and simply go back to a stock tune. Obviously this will cost you. It will run okay on regular unleaded (I admit, I've never tried it myself), but obviously with a slight loss in performance. 

3) It's not crystal clear, but if you had a problem with the engine it could void the warranty but wouldn't affect anything else. I guess you could remove the Ecutek software and keep your warranty that way. It is unlikely that they would be able to tell. 

Close to me is 97 and 99 Ron fuel the shell is in town 20 mins away so I only go when nearby what's better in the absence of shell

Thanks.  With cars I have owned in the past I've only ever used the standard unleaded, on the basis that the super-unleaded was more costly.  It never occurred to me to buy the more expensive stuff.  If you are supposed to used super unleaded even without the remap, there is probably little point in going back to stock settings (concerns about the warranty aside).

36 minutes ago, James said:

Thanks.  With cars I have owned in the past I've only ever used the standard unleaded, on the basis that the super-unleaded was more costly.  It never occurred to me to buy the more expensive stuff.  If you are supposed to used super unleaded even without the remap, there is probably little point in going back to stock settings (concerns about the warranty aside).

Supposedly you get better mpg from the best fuel for your car anyway that makes up for the cost increase and this is true for many cars so I've been told. I'd choose to agree with it to justify the better fuel anyway :) haha 

1) You'll be fine

2) You could flash back to stock, just need someone with an EcuTek cable. Shouldn't cost you. Probably no advantage to however, depends on how the mode 4 is setup, it may just be stock mapping anyway. Email Fensport?

3) You should be fine under warranty.

Inside of the fuel cap indicates that the car is to be run on 97-98RON fuel only.

The car is fairly economical on that fuel though, so overall you shouldn't have to bear an increased cost.

While, as manual states, car can run on 95 without any effect on longevity, due more knocking ECU tune with fuel trims will reduce power a bit and economy also may suffer. So imho better using 98 fuel. It costs more, but is used less, money-wise - almost same.

While, as manual states, car can run on 95 without any effect on longevity, due more knocking ECU tune with fuel trims will reduce power a bit and economy also may suffer. So imho better using 98 fuel. It costs more, but is used less, money-wise - almost same.

Adrian at Fensport explained using less than super unleaded in one of the higher map settings wouldn't harm the engine, just that due to Knocking the ecu will re learn it self and decrease the horsepower to compensate. He explained that the car can learn itself back up to the higher performance when using higher octane fuel, but takes longer to gain hp than when loosing it. All said that's why MAP 4 is there so other maps don't get effected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Shell out of preference, however I often go past a Tesco so sometimes substitute with their 99RON stuff. Worst case is my nearest station, BP with 98 RON Ultimate. Used 95 RON only once when I was in the middle of nowhere with no fuel and no options. It ran, but lumpy and a bit flat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BP Ultimate is 97 unless they've changed recently. I tend to avoid it as it used to be a dirty word on scoobynet when I had an Impreza. Given the amount of import Impreza's that had blown up using it there was a lot of suspicion it was often somewhat less than 97 octane.

On 16/04/2017 at 10:28 PM, jevvy said:

Close to me is 97 and 99 Ron fuel the shell is in town 20 mins away so I only go when nearby what's better in the absence of shell

Slacker, my closest Shell is 15 mins away and I've still never used anything else.

It's a good excuse to go for a blast :P

1 hour ago, Ztox said:

Slacker, my closest Shell is 15 mins away and I've still never used anything else.

I'm thinking that way! So it might have to become part of my routine, I set two car alarms off today with the tomei type 80 getting up to speed gently in a closed in terraced lane and I've still got the rest of the decat piping to go in yet, Jesus 😂😂 but 97 vs99 what's better?

1 hour ago, jevvy said:

I'm thinking that way! So it might have to become part of my routine, I set two car alarms off today with the tomei type 80 getting up to speed gently in a closed in terraced lane and I've still got the rest of the decat piping to go in yet, Jesus 😂😂 but 97 vs99 what's better?

Haha really? I set my brothers 350Z alarm off, but that was when I took the exhaust off from the catback. Just to hear it :) 

34 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Haha really? I set my brothers 350Z alarm off, but that was when I took the exhaust off from the catback. Just to hear it :) 

i think it was mostly becuase of narrow streets with tall terraced houses amplifying the noise, like 1/4 of the effect of a tunnel and the exit being on the left side where the cars are

2 hours ago, jevvy said:

99 is better, as it's higher than the specified octane. Your options are basically Shell VPower and Tesco Momentum, as I don't think anyone else sells 98+. Most places sell 97 octane super unleaded.

FWIW I mostly use Tesco and it's fine.

5 hours ago, jevvy said:

The best fuel you can buy on the street is Shell V-Power Nitro. It's all I run my car on. I don't use Tesco, it would be a distant second choice over Shell. 

4 hours ago, Rich said:

99 is better, as it's higher than the specified octane. Your options are basically Shell VPower and Tesco Momentum, as I don't think anyone else sells 98+. Most places sell 97 octane super unleaded.

FWIW I mostly use Tesco and it's fine.

There's a Tesco near me and I'm sure it's 97 Ron but I'm pretty sure it's momentum? 

8 hours ago, Ztox said:

Think my cars about to be almost as loud as yours, hks decat el manifold, someone's 2.5'' custom made overpipe that I'm sure is just as good as any 200£ overpipe! And a 3'' avo front pipe decat to the tomei type 80. Everything includkng the exhaust cost me 1000 dead so I'm happy with the bang for the buck factor!

29 minutes ago, jevvy said:

someone's 2.5'' custom made overpipe that I'm sure is just as good as any 200£ overpipe! 

That's why I told you not to buy a £200 overpipe.... They're all the bloody same.

4 hours ago, knightryder said:

That's why I told you not to buy a £200 overpipe.... They're all the bloody same.

Actually when I called fensport to inquire the installation and map the guy seemed to think it was a bit special of me to have 4 different aftermarket parts and said it will likely have some fitment issues but they would be able to solve it most likely, I did originally plan to put it in myself as it's not like it's moving parts or anything but if I shear a bolt I'm foooked so I decided against it :)