Stutopia

Stubaru BRZ

I spent a small fortune modding my 350Z and, as expected, saw none of it back when I came to sell. So this time I'm not modding the BRZ and it's staying OEM, so really there's very little point in this thread as I'm leaving it alone. Definitely. No mods.

This is how she looked after collection and a wash - stunning - if I do say so myself.

Ic0fg05.jpg

Despite the modification ban, I am allowed to do maintenance and preventative maintenance. Like all addictions, it starts with a gateway item - in this case a simple cabin filter. Original was absolutely minging.

Dg5l6kO.jpg

Then the (I think original) wipers were looking quite smeary, so in with the Bosch. I did dabble in PIAA last time but I didn't rate their water clearing as much as the Aeros.

QlmLrTW.jpg

After seeing all the posts about battery capacity leaving people stranded, I plumped for another preemptive strike - more Bosch.

z0yVGSp.jpg

With a complete absence of Bluetooth it made the BRZ impractical as a work/commuter vehicle, so I decided to deal with that problem and fit a Sony headunit. I've since improved the surround finisher trim.

9MMYSG9.jpg

Naturally it made good sense to fit a reverse camera at the same time, another preventive job this one. Preventing bodywork repair.

mxZxayf.jpg

Now there is not much point in being able to see out the back and not see what's up front, so I popped in a Mobius dashcam - unbeatable piece of kit at the pricepoint.

jNzVoCU.jpg

The screw covers in the registration plates were unsightly and the plates were frankly awful (overlapping text, dealer advert etc) so they were recycled and new ones fitted with double sided.

xkOysXt.png

I also moved the rear one down a touch, as I wasn't happy with the use of negative space in the rear plate recess ;) and it stopped it touching the reverse camera.

Subaru "forgot" to include an armrest to cover the expanse of hard plastic in the centre console, so I sorted out another bit of maintenance there.

Joi7bvv.png

Had to strap on the Captain Brave pants before drilling INSIDE the car, but manage to retain my dignity in the most part. You might have also noticed I popped in a lightning adapter for the headunit. I did initially retain the OEM USB/AUX port but I would have had to mount my phone on the dash or have unsightly cables knocking about.

Another bit of forgetfulness from Subaru saw me add a Beat Sonic shark fin, as this is stock on a MY2017, it's technically more maintenance.

1unUKbu.png

This one was very nearly just a mod, but some of the OEM exhaust had some light surface rust, so yet more maintenance.

995mq8W.jpg

Thanks to bildingo for the Ark GRiP - it sounds brilliant at idle and at cruise, with a nice beefiness when you get on the loud peddle. On top of that it looks superb. Slash tips are JDM yo, but I think I prefer rolled. I genuinely won't be playing around with HFCs, de-cats or the rest of the exhaust as I can't be doing with the MOT hassle and CELs I've had to deal with in the past.

For reasons unknown Subaru don't have a cargo net offering for the boot, which given the way the car is meant to be driven, is a huge oversight. More maintenance required here. Picked up these self tapping fixings from fleabay.

LmErYED.jpg

And recycled the cargo net from my 350z

GNDKKD6.png

I have four spare fixings left over (enough for one more 4-point cargo net). If anyone wants them, please get in touch. Yours for free.

Last but not least, I allowed myself one genuine mod. A club sticker.

0OCNfD1.jpg

Local seagulls felt this relenting on my zero mods policy should be met with a dirty protest.

I had a go at the plastic scuttle under the windscreen, which is already looking tired even with our 4 weeks of sun a year.

j1FTsU3.jpg

Got a sample pot of this from a Waxybox a while back, decide to splash out on a full bottle. 

6P1HTlH.jpg

Very easy to apply and buff, but I won't know if it's really any good until it's lasted 6 months or so. Definitely looks the part for now.

4MwLSqZ.jpg?1

Now the bit of bad news. The dealer promised a service before I collected the car and after a week or so of nagging I got a copy of the invoice for work done (mainly for my service history). Disappointingly, the wrong grade of oil had been used and cheapo filters all round. So I splashed out on some Millers Nanodrive (I even got the right viscosity), a K&N oil filter and a Cosworth panel filter. She's now breathing better.

Worryingly, the best part of 10 litres of the olive oil the previous servicer used came out. I believe the correct capacity with an oil filter is 5.4L?

uYcJWKr.jpg

I had checked the dipstick at collection but it was only showing a splash over full! Needless to say I'm glad the wrong grade was used, as that convinced me to drop it out, so it was only over full for a short while. Slack work though from "professionals", the sump plug and oil filter were only touch tight as well - GRRRRR.

That's me for now, only maintenance and preventative maintenance from here on in. With that in mind, I've got a paint correction booked with a local detailer in a couple of weeks. I need to know what glaze the dealer valet used because it did an incredible job of hiding a truck load of swirls and random deep scratches. Soon to be perfect though :)

9 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

:lol:sorry had to laugh at some of your non mods/service changes :P 

Why not say the whole engine is a bit rusty and fit a turbo/supercharger lol.

Don't know what you mean :lol:

12 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Or keep the originals, that's what I am doing. Although my loft is full of car parts now :lol:

Makes perfect sense, but I'm too sentimental to strip something that's been painstakingly built 💔

Have you still got the net fasteners or the eBay link ... I've got a net and like you nowhere to hook it.

And where did you get the armrest ... ??? Although that might stop my putting the phone in the slot of the cup holder unit. But with Bluetooth it can go anywhere.

17 minutes ago, gazza82 said:

Have you still got the net fasteners or the eBay link ... I've got a net and like you nowhere to hook it.

And where did you get the armrest ... ??? Although that might stop my putting the phone in the slot of the cup holder unit. But with Bluetooth it can go anywhere.

PM your address and I'll send you the net fixings.

Got the armrest from Fensport here there's a handy guide here too - make sure you print it at 100% .

My iPhone 7+ just still fits in there, on its side, wedged against the cup holder.

Cargo net fitings arrived. Msny thanks.

So did you just screw these into the boot floor cover with the screws supplied? Anything on reverse to hold/reinforce it?

1 hour ago, gazza82 said:

Cargo net fitings arrived. Msny thanks.

So did you just screw these into the boot floor cover with the screws supplied? Anything on reverse to hold/reinforce it?

I just screwed them in to the floor then dremmeled the excess off a touch as the tips are rather sharp. Not reinforced it at all.

I am considering putting some Velcro on the underside to stop the boot floor getting air over bumps and crests. It seems quite prone to lifting.

Yes - all perfectly legitimate maintenance... I admire your refusal to compromise and commitment to stock specification.

You may notice though (I did) that the stock suspension undoubtedly deteriorates over time, and it's only prudent to invest in quality replacement parts...

The engine map it came with can also usefully be - ahem - 'maintained' upwards.

On mine I noticed Toyota had only remembered to paint part of the wheels black and they also weren't quite filling the arches. Again - easily remedied.

Carry on enjoying your stock car. I can see why you went for the BRZ. Stoyota just doesn't have the same ring does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having removed all the glaze hiding the myriad swirls all over my mica blue paint, I bit the bullet and took her to local a professional - http://www.autoshineblackpool.co.uk - I'm very pleased with the results and obviously can't resist some glamour shots to show her off. Hope you don't mind the self indulgence.

o9pMnQe.jpg

94fR4Gl.jpg

4Q5xG6P.jpg

And a few reflection shots as well.

oKbTOGq.jpg

stVgtUp.jpg

P5rdo7B.jpg

QLQz0in.jpg

One last glamour one.

WSRnpUb.jpg

:cloud9:

35 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

You can't trust OEM bonnet stays, especially in a breeze. Accordingly I've popped in some gas struts to avoid any breed mishaps, preventative maintenance FTW

efd1Vyn.jpg

What struts did you order all the ones I've seen are considerably longer! Cheers 

3 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

They're from speedline.

Literally just ordered lights from there and didn't order the struts, bugger me.

On 14/04/2017 at 4:49 PM, Stutopia said:

You can't trust OEM bonnet stays, especially in a breeze. Accordingly I've popped in some gas struts to avoid any breed mishaps, preventative maintenance FTW

efd1Vyn.jpg

These struts have come off today, slight rub between the bonnet arms and the strut's bottom mount on the body, causing a mark on the bonnet arms and an incredibly annoying squeak. Suffice to say, I'm not blown away by the fitment of these and I can't recommend them.

I'd be a little ticked off it wasn't so blissful to have dealt with the squeak!

Nice subtle changes there man look forward to seeing more, could i ask where you got your engine bay bolts/washers been after some for ages 

55 minutes ago, Jared said:

Nice subtle changes there man look forward to seeing more, could i ask where you got your engine bay bolts/washers been after some for ages 

I got them from pro-bolt, decent quality components, especially the titanium stuff (not that I went for that this time, too expensive). Some info here: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/4797-engine-bay-bolt-list/

On 2017-5-5 at 0:50 AM, Stutopia said:

These struts have come off today, slight rub between the bonnet arms and the strut's bottom mount on the body, causing a mark on the bonnet arms and an incredibly annoying squeak. Suffice to say, I'm not blown away by the fitment of these and I can't recommend them.

I'd be a little ticked off it wasn't so blissful to have dealt with the squeak!

Aww wish I had known. Ordered few days ago from same place, should be with me soon.