PeterMc

First time owner

Hello all,

i have just bought the GT86 Pro in ice silver from Johnsons Toyota Liverpool. Fell in love with it from the moment I saw one in the showroom in red. Put a deposit down before I had even test drove it though decided against the red as I thought it was a little flash for a man of fifty. Just getting used to it at the moment with a continuous smile on my face. Only disappointment so far is the rear speakers. I altered the balance to play from the rear speakers only and the sound was a barely audible tinny sound. No exaggeration, I couldn't even recognise the song playing. Surely this can't be normal can it ? If it is then I don't want to embarrass myself taking it back to the dealers. 

Anyway ive joined the club now and am looking forward to reading what you more seasoned owners have to say about your own vehicles.

Cheers

Peter.

Stock speakers are absolute crap buddy luckily the used one I purchased had the jbl sound system without the dealer even realising. So that was a nice bonus when I went to pick it up and was one less job for me :)  You can buy the jbl factory sound system on eBay for like 750 but that's an extraordinary amount to pay really. It's not a massive job to replace the speakers to be honest and any decent audio shop won't charge the earth for fitting but to be honest since tts such a scarce car you'd be better attempting to enlist the help of a fellow enthusiast as when I had my tints done they broke the clips on my brake light housing and insisted it must have been like that. A few people have made posts about this so try searching speaker and have a look what they opted for as I'd have no clue what would be your best aftermarket bet. I think a lot of people reccomend putting a bit of sound proofing material in when replacing the speakers as well hopefully someone who's replaced their speakers will chime in! 

Welcome aboard Peter, look out for NW meets in social meets. You don't need to use the rear speakers, unfortunately they're useless, but it would be better just to fade it to the front as in such a small cabin rear speakers are pointless anyway. It is normal, the rear speakers are only there I reckon to make up the number of speakers in the marketing brochure. They don't contribute anything. 

I have a complete install done on mine as I was so dissapointed by the stock system. My new (well four years old now!) setup doesn't have rear speakers. 

The JBL system is miles better than stock, but it's still not good enough IMO. You can improve things by changing the front speakers out for a set of plug and pray Focals, though it depends what you want to do really. I had all my audio pulled out and relegated to the shed when my car was a month old. 

Thanks for the advice to the both of you, and such quick responses. It's really appreciated . I did ask for the jbl system but was told that Toyota had withdrawn it.  Thanks for letting me know that this is normal for the stock set up, it's off to the audio store for me then. Will keep an eye out for the NW meets , would love to attend one. 

Once again, thanks to you both.

Peter, if you can make it to a NW meet, I'm happy to show you what I had done ICE wise in my car. I did go the full hog, but it makes a tremendous difference. Many people have swopped the front speakers for Focal replacements and that does make a big difference. If you don't have sat nav then a different head unit is a good option. The stock one is a bit limited especially if you want to add a sub, but obviously depends how far you want to go with it. If like me you're going to keep the car for a long time, then it really can make a lot of sense to get these things how you want it. :)

If you're bored this weekend and at a loose end a load of us will be at Blyton Park (near Scunthorpe) for the first round of the sprint sereis on Sunday. Bit of a trek, well a couple of hours for you, but you are more than welcome to come and meet a load of us. :)

Failing that, there is a big meet coming up in the NW area in Warrington on Sunday 16th April: 

There will be a huge turnout and there is a curry the night before in Chester as well if you're interested. :)

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard Peter, look out for NW meets in social meets. You don't need to use the rear speakers, unfortunately they're useless, but it would be better just to fade it to the front as in such a small cabin rear speakers are pointless anyway. It is normal, the rear speakers are only there I reckon to make up the number of speakers in the marketing brochure. They don't contribute anything. 

I have a complete install done on mine as I was so dissapointed by the stock system. My new (well four years old now!) setup doesn't have rear speakers. 

The JBL system is miles better than stock, but it's still not good enough IMO. You can improve things by changing the front speakers out for a set of plug and pray Focals, though it depends what you want to do really. I had all my audio pulled out and relegated to the shed when my car was a month old. 

Are the focals much better than the jbl? Might be worth just swapping my door speakers if it's worth it as I do value my tunes how mucbare the focals?

Focal IS165TOY replace tweeters and woofers for £120+postage. There are far superior units for more cash, but then you need to mess with mounts, more of the wiring and generally faff about. I think on balance this is the path I'll take. They're only fibreglass cones, but I'm guessing the stock gear is cardboard or something.

Here's a nice picture of the stock rears: Looks legit

11 hours ago, jevvy said:

Are the focals much better than the jbl? Might be worth just swapping my door speakers if it's worth it as I do value my tunes how mucbare the focals?

I've got different Focals in mine with a crossover which were a fair bit more than the plug and pray replacement Focal speakers so I can't comment I'm afraid. 

I would say mine are far better than JBL's but I've got a £3K install, so it's night and day really. 

3 hours ago, Willtl said:

Are the speakers in the BRZ and GT86 the same? I'm no Audiophile but I've never thought "the rear speakers sound utter crap".

Fade it to the rear and see how useless they are. Pretty sure the speakers are the same in both cars.