vanko25

Whining engine noise. Increases with RPM

Hi all, 

I noticed over the weekend that there is a whining noise coming from the engine bay and it increases with RPM no matter on idle or under load. It is like a supercharger noise and is quite obvious around 3000rpm. Engine is stock except the HKS drop in filter. I could try putting back the original filter in but I am more keen it is not that. Anyone experienced that before? Thanks in advance! 

P.S. Engine power is not affected at all. Will try to get video uploaded soon.

@Mark-in-Stoke been driving the filter for 3k miles but just noticed it while waiting in cue inside multi storey parking. Will try putting the stock filter on the weekend but sound more like a bearing noise rather than air leak as it is constant with RPM. If I hold it at certain RPM on idle the noise is still there. @Rob I will probably ask RRG to look at it when it's due for service in Aug/September and have just keep having fun. :D

are you definitely sure the noise is in the engine bay and is it definitely increasing with rpm or is it actually increasing with your speed? I only ask these questions as I had an issue like that which turned out to be the diff bearing as the oil level was low (previous owner had changed the final drive back before selling and didn't fill it up enough)

Yeah @Tareim it does it at standstill in neutral. On the road is not that noticeable because of the road noise and exhaust but when I park rev it in a multi story it the noise is quite noticeable. 

Yes. Water is on the same belt. I will do it on a cold engine in the morning. Don't want to run it w/o alternator too. I am still on the original Panasonic battery. :D

There is a turbine kind of noise when I get my foot off the throttle, Lauren. Anyway I will check the air filter box for leaks and also will remove the fan belt to make sure is not pump or alternator. Will update when check stuff on Friday. Hope I don't need to leave it with a dealer cuz I am kind of attached to it. :D

Turbine kind of noise when off throttle? My guess is that it comes via sound generator passing inside intake noise when it's vacuuming. Try plugging out it's hole in cabin using "free" cig lighter plug from glovebox for quick test. Was there on mine when it was completely stock and made even more pronounced with changing to sound generator insert with less foam filling in it.