smudge

Top Gear 2017

56 minutes ago, nikndel said:

I knew I saw you how did they do the Extra Gear bit?

Was an extra part of the show which we didn't stay for. We were there from 12pm to 8pm and were on our feet all day, so wanted to get some food and get home

Overall a good episode and one I could see me watching again, something I haven't felt since about season 14 of old Top Gear. 86 is a great car choice and apart from the cage and taking the rear seat out looks stock which is good. People who are disciplined and have a bit of talent will do genuinely well and I can see there being a wide gap between the times. I just hope they don't go fudging times to pander to the guests like old Top Gear did. Chemistry is good, sometimes seems forced but no where near as TGT and old Top Gear towards the end. If it's left to organically grow it should do well. The FXXK piece was good. The filming wasn't heavily edited and was as raw as the car was which was nice to see. The Volvo crash seemed genuine as Chris's face was a picture :lol:

I've seen some on Twitter criticise the audience for not being that into it with some dubbed laughter. Old Top Gear did this all the time and they'd even dub in the same woman sounding shocked or the guy starting the cheer at the end of a VT to get the crowd going. I downloaded them all over the years so it's noticeable.

We shouldn't compare to TGT but we will. The easiest difference is that I'll probably watch this again but TGT I have no interest in. Far too much cocking about and I like that the 3 TG presenters are car guys too but are almost as geeky as we are about them. I'd say we need even more of this but then there's the balance of appeasing the petrol head and also appealing to the general potato who isn't that into cars and just wants some Sunday evening escapism before the reality of going back to work Monday morning hits.

32 minutes ago, KobayashiMaru said:

Overall a good episode and one I could see me watching again, something I haven't felt since about season 14 of old Top Gear. 86 is a great car choice and apart from the cage and taking the rear seat out looks stock which is good. People who are disciplined and have a bit of talent will do genuinely well and I can see there being a wide gap between the times. I just hope they don't go fudging times to pander to the guests like old Top Gear did. Chemistry is good, sometimes seems forced but no where near as TGT and old Top Gear towards the end. If it's left to organically grow it should do well. The FXXK piece was good. The filming wasn't heavily edited and was as raw as the car was which was nice to see. The Volvo crash seemed genuine as Chris's face was a picture :lol:

I've seen some on Twitter criticise the audience for not being that into it with some dubbed laughter. Old Top Gear did this all the time and they'd even dub in the same woman sounding shocked or the guy starting the cheer at the end of a VT to get the crowd going. I downloaded them all over the years so it's noticeable.

We shouldn't compare to TGT but we will. The easiest difference is that I'll probably watch this again but TGT I have no interest in. Far too much cocking about and I like that the 3 TG presenters are car guys too but are almost as geeky as we are about them. I'd say we need even more of this but then there's the balance of appeasing the petrol head and also appealing to the general potato who isn't that into cars and just wants some Sunday evening escapism before the reality of going back to work Monday morning hits.

I can promise you the crowd were VERY much involved at the filming 

I really liked, it but then I had no big issues with the last series. I also watch the TGT and I like that too. It's about cars, what's not to like? 

I too thought the scripted bits tried to force the chemistry between the presenters as there is aleady it seems a sort of galvanising of the character that Harris is, or will become. For the most part it worked though, sometimes it didn't. 

I thought the content was good and the road trip was good fun as it wasn't overly contrived. The Star coming on for a chat, doesn't interest me and never has. 

I just watched it on catch-up. Impressed, really enjoyed it. A proper car challenge, funny moments, good chemistry and didn't seem scripted except some of the studio stuff. I give that a 8/10 maybe even a 9/10 if I am feeling generous. Let's hope the other episodes keep it going. 

Very entertaining - some properly funny moments to be had. Ideally the presenters need to ease their lines a bit more when on auto-cue/delivering lines. They lack the instinctive timing for comedy, maybe it'll come with time? I certainly hope so, as the raw material is there.

I skipped all of last season, decided to have a watch of this. Enjoyed it - the run across Kazakhstan was actually entertaining, and the GT86 provides a bit more on track spectacle than previous cars (lets face it, watching a Lacetti understeer round a track isn't that fun).

A bit of extra info for this that might help . If you are standing in the rain waiting to go across  you can't take umbrellas with you unless you can put them in a small bag. Toilets are limited either side of venue and won't let you out till tea break . They supply hot drinks at the break . If you want to do Extra Gear limited to 75 people look out for girls giving out blue wrist bands at tea break. At 13.30 they turned people away but once you are in the car park you will get in to show. They did supply cheap rain macs and bottled water in car park when delays occur. Be prepared to wait some people got there at 0900 don't know why and some chucked in the towel and left. Oh and no drinks inside hanger.

3 hours ago, nikndel said:

A bit of extra info for this that might help . If you are standing in the rain waiting to go across  you can't take umbrellas with you unless you can put them in a small bag. Toilets are limited either side of venue and won't let you out till tea break . They supply hot drinks at the break . If you want to do Extra Gear limited to 75 people look out for girls giving out blue wrist bands at tea break. At 13.30 they turned people away but once you are in the car park you will get in to show. They did supply cheap rain macs and bottled water in car park when delays occur. Be prepared to wait some people got there at 0900 don't know why and some chucked in the towel and left. Oh and no drinks inside hanger.

Not everyone in the car park will get into the studio. At least half of the people didn't get in from my rough counting when I was there

27 minutes ago, smudge said:

Not everyone in the car park will get into the studio. At least half of the people didn't get in from my rough counting when I was there

That's strange did they give you any idea on numbers we were told 600 yesterday minus the few that bottled it and went home

4 hours ago, nikndel said:

That's strange did they give you any idea on numbers we were told 600 yesterday minus the few that bottled it and went home

I would say there were at least 1000 in the car park waiting for the bus to the studio, and 600 in the studio sounds about right as I'd say half got turned away