smudge

Top Gear 2017

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending the new Top Gear studio to see the 1st episode of season 2 being filmed! Unfortunately we weren't allowed phones in the studio so I don't have any pictures, but we were treated to the new trailer which I've just seen posted on Facebook as well:

I have to say that I am a HUGE fan of the original trio and the Grand Tour was excellent bar a few small changes that need to be worked into season 2. After the nightmare that was Top Gear with the ginger tosspot last year, the show was pretty much dead to me until they made some major changes. Luckily, they did and yesterday was a fantastic experience!

Dunsfold is only about 45mins from me which always makes it easier, however standing around for 2 hours in the drizzle and wind whilst waiting to be taken to the studio from the car park in the middle of the airfield did dampen our spirits slightly. No idea what the delay was but we did see the 86 being hurled around the track which instantly got me excited to see that the rumours were indeed true! Top Gear's new "reasonably FAST" car (not too fast of course, these are celebrities not racing drivers on the show) is a 2017 GT86!

We finally made it into the new studio and it looks fantastic. It's a lot smaller than the old one but it's been modernised and seems a lot more functional seeing as the show is 95% outside of the studio of course. The new trio seem to work really well together, the have a decent chemistry and all bring something unique to the show. Le Blanc is witty with a great passion for all things automotive, Harris is a fantastic driver with excellent car knowledge and Reid reminds me a lot of Hammond, being the younger, cheeky addition to the group.

I won't ruin it too much for you, but I'm really excited to see how this new format turns out. Keep an eye out for me in the background when they've got the guest on the sofas talking to them too! ;)

First episode is due to air on 5th March

I have very high hopes for new Top Gear from what I've seen so far. Everyone involved loves cars and can drive too and I still go back and watch part Chris Harris videos and they are still great. His 2 part P1 videos were fantastic, although I can't see us being allowed to have that much car geekery, actually talking in depth about how it all worked.

Grand Tour is still there for those who want the parody of old Top Gear and keep banging on about how it's so much better, etc. I only watched Grand Tour because I had Prime anyway. I wouldn't be paying extra just for it and really didn't think much of it. Far too much cocking about. I like James May but I can't see him staying for long. I'd rather watch his do more reassembling. 

You hated the new TG last year though? Whilst I appreciate that Chris Evans is a somewhat marmite character it seems (I think he was given way too hard a time personally), what surprised me is that you didn't seem to see the talent in the other presenters. Chris Harris is a very talented and accomplished driver, Rory, does a good job of representing more your typical petrolhead (no bad thing at all) and Matt Le Blanc has the money to do what he likes and loves cars, a bit Jay Leno, again, a good mix I think. Whilst I accept that there were certainly things about Chris Evans that annoyed me, it was more than made up for by the other three. Chris Evans's piece on the Ferrari stuff, was great though, it really showed his passion for cars, particularly Ferrari of course. 

I have to say, that I really enjoyed the Grand Tour (apart from the stupid car ones, stop appealing to non-car people, they have plenty else to watch). I love the chemistry between those three and it was genuinely funning places. Sure it's not perfect, but neither is TG, but the new platform for Clarkson et al., suits them very well. 

So it's a win, win situation. I shall look for your face when I see it on Friday week. :P

@Lauren, you're kidding me right? I said above TG was a nightmare last year but it was mainly due to Evans. I always praised the segments that Harris did in particular and even said that the show with Le Blanc, Reid and Harris would be be the only way to move it forward

Don't understand how you think I've said differently?

I seem to be the only one who didn't dislike the new Top Gear. Yes some of the stuff they did was silly and/or boring, but there were other bits that I enjoyed/was happy to watch as nothing else on. From what I remember it was mostly about cars and that's what matters to me. 

The Grand Tour, I thought there were some good bits, but then some stupid silly bits that were just not funny and the 'joke' about celebrity brain crash got silly. I really enjoyed one bit about the history of Ferrari if I remember correctly? When I watch some of the old Top Gear challenges, they are still funny. I have been watching them again rather than watching episodes of Grand Tour. Also, when they travel to different countries and do the show there; seems a good idea in a way, but then most of the show is about them driving about in a completely different country. 

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

I am very happy that those 3 are now the team. Looking forward to it.

:o Can't believe I didn't watch the video. Agreed, those 3 should be good. Dare I say it, might be like old top gear?

27 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

I seem to be the only one who didn't dislike the new Top Gear. Yes some of the stuff they did was silly and/or boring, but there were other bits that I enjoyed/was happy to watch as nothing else on. From what I remember it was mostly about cars and that's what matters to me. 

I thought I was the only one with that train of thought :lol:

Just now, Tareim said:

I thought I was the only one with that train of thought :lol:

Yay! high five 

Most people instantly dismissed it because it didn't have the 3 amigos. Even now, when you check that new youtube trailer it has so many dislikes (1800 and counting) but yet I can't see any comments as to why. In fact, most people are saying it looks good and the usual Chris Harris great he is a main presenter comments.  

Could be good. They kept the best three.

As for Grand Tour - i have Prime but lost interest part way through. Just too contrived and tired. I too, though, will happily watch May tinkering in his shed anytime...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to it, I sit kinda in-between Lauren and Jordan, there were things in the previous series that weren't great and others that were, the Top Gear extras were the best bits and they were typically without Evans.  The thing is, Evans did a lot to ruin the show without him being seen if that makes sense, when he was on screen he was pretty poor (bar the Ferrari piece) but even off screen, you could tell that he was causing issues for the other guys and ruining the whole chemistry bit which seems to be the big factor in producing a good show.  Didn't really mind the whole off roading part of the reasonably priced car bit but it was pretty pointless and made the times irrelevant....really looking forward to the celebs in the 86 though!

As for the Grand Tour, again a mixed bag, plenty wrong with it but at the same time, with the bigger budget and less restrictions, it was nice to see what those three idiots could get up to which can be funny but I do find that they try a lil too hard and failing miserably.

Top gear is on air tonight at 8. Will see how its like. Also check LostinTV website for free tickets to the show if you fancy going to footage. I will be going on 5th of April.

40 minutes ago, vanko25 said:

Top gear is on air tonight at 8. Will see how its like. Also check LostinTV website for free tickets to the show if you fancy going to footage. I will be going on 5th of April.

12 th March for me

47 minutes ago, smudge said:

Look out for me and Michelle behind the sofas when they're talking to the guest! :)

Why, what were you two doing behind the sofa? 😁

May have just seen you, were you behind a woman with long dark hair?

Wasn't too bad... Nice to see a proper car go round the track (well... sort of). Right colour as well.

Shows how good the stability control is - appears to be able to rescue nearly anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk