ThatGuyThere

Exhaust confusion

Hi

Just bought a modified gt86. The exhaust is too loud for me, so I'm looking at options to reduce that. But I'm a little confused as to what I actually have on the car.

The system is described as:

HKS manifold
Tomei Overpipe
HKS resonated Front Pipe
M7 titanium exhaust

Here is a photo of how the M7 exhaust looked when the original owner fitted it:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/29847c4e676a651def4854be34beed88/tumblr_mok6l3ceV71rbah8no1_1280.jpg

Here's a pic of what is on the car at the moment, which clearly has a silencer - so any clue what I'm looking at? That's not the front-pipe, right?

2017-02-19 16.30.31.jpg

That's definitely the midpipe you're looking at. So the first part of a "catback" system. Looks like someone has just had the silencer welded in to quieten it. 

Edit: Jeff got there before me :P

Car was loud to begin with. To my knowledge neither Jonathan or Ryan fitted a silencer to it (Ryan was going to but then decided to sell) so this is a mystery to me. 

Congrats on the purchase by the way :) I'm the guy he drove the car round to on the weekend!

On 20/02/2017 at 8:39 AM, rob275 said:

Car was loud to begin with. To my knowledge neither Jonathan or Ryan fitted a silencer to it (Ryan was going to but then decided to sell) so this is a mystery to me. 

Congrats on the purchase by the way :) I'm the guy he drove the car round to on the weekend!

Ah, thanks for your help Rob :)

-

Well, I may never find out how the silencer got there, but at least I know what I have now.

So I'm trying to work out which part is causing the majority of the noise. Can anyone advise on how loud a standard exhaust is, with the HKS manifold, and front de-cat?

Is it possible to have a quieter exhaust with no cats on the car?

32 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Is it possible to have a quieter exhaust with no cats on the car?

Stock centre pipe and back box will quieten it massively even with a manifold and no cats.

As an idea this is mine with a cobra non resonated catback, standard second cat, overpipe and JDL catted manifold:-

And this the same set up but with the stock centre pipe and back box back on:-

The difference is massive! The stock exhaust has a LOT of silencing.

I'm interested to hear the difference. I'll have to watch them later, I'm at work. 

Getting a UEL header on mine and keep rest stock, was only able to find a few videos of stock exhaust and a UEL header fitted. Although if too quiet I will add extra. 

Congratulations on the car. 

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Not a chance.

Quieter? No. Reasonably quiet - yes. For example this catless fujitsubo frontpipe that deletes 2ndary cat is slightly even quiter then stock frontpipe with cat. Of course catless header on top of that will rise loudness, but if all other bits in exhaust but decatted ones are not on loud side, eg. Q300 for catback, 2.5" piping, result imho should be quiet enough.

I am currentley selling an OEM exhuast with the secondary cat. This should do the trick and quite down the car, let me know if you want the price and link to ebay listing 

"Depends". There are many resonated out there with very different noise levels. Imho question is a bit incorrect. In most cases resonators are used not so much to quieten in general, as to remove drone/rasp of specific frequencies, with main mufflers doing most of quietening job (i might be wrong of course). Exhaust "having resonators" imho should be compared to exactly same one but without them, not between different model exhausts of different manufacturers. There can be also loud as f*** catbacks with multiple resonators.

Took the car to a local exhaust dude. Advised me that although the exhaust is beautifully made, it will never be quiet - as it has very little silencing.

I'm considering a 2nd hand standard exhaust from eBay - on the understanding that the filter/manifold/overpipe/frontpipe will increase the volume over the fairly dull OEM exhaust note. For £100 ish, it seem worth trying - and if it's then too quiet I can source a silenced cat-back to replace.

Unless anyone's looking to swap their cat-back exhaust for something very loud?

Turns out I do not have the original cat as a spare - I have the original overpipe.

Thanks for everyone's contribution. Really helpful.

Hi Gringo. There's a video somewhere online showing what this sounds like with standard manifold, from when the first owner just fitted it. It's loud, but not offensive. I'll try find it when I get on my PC. Would you possibly be interested because I am going to be selling it unless I'm lucky enough to find a q300 owner wanting to swap.