nerdstrike

Uhhh... my rear view mirror glass fell out?

So I got in the car this morning and found the rear view mirror glass on the passenger seat, leaving the adhesive on a shiny cellophane-like sheet on the mount. Note that this is not the windscreen attachment, but just the reflective glass bit. For at least a year I've noticed a little marking around the bottom edges a bit like corrosion or something. Must have been detaching glue!

I can get by on wing mirrors for the short term, but I've never seen this happen before and I'm a bit surprised. Car only 3 years old. I presume the warranty claim will be fairly straightforward.

It won't be when I can actually raise Cambridge Toyota service department on the darn phone. "We'll call you back" my arse.

Thanks for confirming that this has happened to other units. It's good to establish patterns.

I've just noticed that the edges around my rear view looks a bit bubbly like its starting to delaminate, does it need to come off completely before warranty replacement?

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

4th attempt to even speak to service staff failed at Lancaster Toyota of Cambridge... Parts desk guy couldn't do warranty issue but a replacement mirror costs about £45+VAT, so not too bad when the warranty is gone.

It wouldn't surprise me if the cold makes the adhesive brittle. If only they hadn't opted for an edgeless design!

3 hours ago, Keethos said:

I've just noticed that the edges around my rear view looks a bit bubbly like its starting to delaminate, does it need to come off completely before warranty replacement?

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Mine hadn't.

3 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

4th attempt to even speak to service staff failed at Lancaster Toyota of Cambridge... Parts desk guy couldn't do warranty issue but a replacement mirror costs about £45+VAT, so not too bad when the warranty is gone.

It wouldn't surprise me if the cold makes the adhesive brittle. If only they hadn't opted for an edgeless design!

Lancaster Toyota ? No swearing on the forum😥😥

I had mine replaced under warranty last week due to delamination - car is just over 3 years old.

Good to know that my local dealership is not the only one where the Service Department never seems to answer the phone (or call you back if you leave a message)!

Mine has a tiny bit of delamination on the bottom edge. May look to get that sorted, guess it will only get worse. Then again the AE86 mirror has delaminated a lot more, so they have something in common. ;)

What is the deal on warranty claims for this exactly (or other stuff), my dealership won't replace mine under warranty saying it has been knocked causing the damage (it is delaminated to the point it is slipping down on one side now and occasionally drops silvered foil onto the gearstick gaiter), it hasn't been knocked, and it has had that vintage mirror look ever since I've had the car (2 years), I'll pay to get it done as otherwise it is going to fall off completely. I've also asked them 3 times over the last 18 months about the front quarter light posts (rusty) the first 2 times they said they would have to send photos off, but never got back to me, the last time I pushed on it but they said it is due to damage and not a warranty issue (difficult to argue now as they are rusty and flaking to the point that you can't really conclusively say if there was damage that rusted or rust caused the damage). Is it worth taking to a different dealer or is my reg now 'blacklisted' for these issues (I guess all dealerships have to get approval/clearance from the same place?) EDIT: Having gone back to them, they are replacing mirror under warranty :)