Paul

Brakes

116 posts in this topic

Go for the rayland kit that myself and @will300 has. I will let you know what they are like on track at the end of the month! Its a good price option, but you will need spacers for a sock wheel at a guess!

3 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

How come they are so cheap? Am I missing something. 

Something with similar sizes is almost double? 

Presume the AP Caliper is a lot more expensive. Godspeed to a BBK with the CP9040 6 Pot AP caliper and it's an extra £500, apart from that there isn't really a difference in the kits. Same discs and Pads, but obviously different carriers for the caliper.

@TTR well AP racing for a 332mm front disc 4 pot (so similar? Brembo is 330mm and 4pot) on amber the AP Racing is around £2350. 

The Brembo Gran Turismo on amber are £3000! but they are different sizes. 

Stop Tech on Fensport 328mm and 4 pot are £2000

The only BBK I have seen that are similar price is the K-Sport. Brembo is a big name too.  

11 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

@TTR well AP racing for a 332mm front disc 4 pot (so similar? Brembo is 330mm and 4pot) on amber the AP Racing is around £2350. 

The Brembo Gran Turismo on amber are £3000! but they are different sizes. 

Stop Tech on Fensport 328mm and 4 pot are £2000

The only BBK I have seen that are similar price is the K-Sport. Brembo is a big name too.  

Some of the cost difference will be the discs, bells and mounts. Some of the Reyland/Godspeed kits use their own brand ones. But I dunno where the huge coat difference is dude, I don't work for Brembo or AP Racing haha :lol:

Just now, TTR said:

Some of the cost difference will be the discs, bells and mounts. Some of the Reyland/Godspeed kits use their own brand ones. But I dunno where the huge coat difference is dude, I don't work for Brembo or AP Racing haha :lol:

Haha that's ok, I was hoping someone could see something that I am missing. I noticed they use their own discs. 

8 minutes ago, Deacon said:

That does seem very good.

Been very tempted, but more grip is in order! Also I think maybe I should go 356mm to be on the safe side haha.

Deacon likes this

3 hours ago, Rich196 said:

Go for the rayland kit that myself and @will300 has. I will let you know what they are like on track at the end of the month! Its a good price option, but you will need spacers for a sock wheel at a guess!

Do you have front and back, or just front? BBK is potentially something I'll do before too long.

The OEM STi Brembo option does not fit the OEM wheel without a spacer, so I would guess that the Godspeed one is the same. It also does less than desirable shift in bias if you're a track minded person.

Rich likes this

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Do you have front and back, or just front? BBK is potentially something I'll do before too long.

Just the front!

I suggest if fitting on just front BBK only, then buy kits, that are especially designed for such configuration, to not shift front-rear brake bias. While with fitting BBK just front one may fix one of deficiencies of stock brakes - increase heat capacity, as fronts are doing main braking anyway, there is also chance to make braking itself worse, if bias is shifted a lot. For example lock one end of car much sooner, while other end still is underbraked, increase rate of tire/brake wear, interfer with electronic nannies, or add instability when braking, if ABS is off. Better not. LOL, and there i'm back with suggesting again Essex Sprint kit, that, like their Endurance kit too, is made to match stock brakes in rear with same brake bias. :)

That Godspeed Brembo kit is a smaller caliper than the STI brembos that are a popular swap for our cars. Its a smaller cheaper calipers and the discs are Godspeed.

Godspeed disc are good value but the vanes are not curved so wont cool as well as AP/Stoptech/brembo aftermarket discs that have curved vanes. According to AP racing their curved vane discs dissipate 30% more heat than straight vaned discs. 

I would expect these have same size pistons as the STI brembos so bias will go forward a bit. Mostly people dont have an issue with it though.

Not saying they are a bad choice just be aware. 

@Church those essex kits are not suitable for UK roads. The Road and track kits with aluminium pistons, rubber boots, paint finish, anti rattle shims ect are far more suitable for our salty winter roads.

Ade: but IIRC he started seeking more capable alternatives, because he hit limitations for track use. And rubber dust boots .. on heavy braking at track they can soon be burnt off anyway .. due heat/temperatures caliper paint also fades by time. I'd maybe just more often pressure-wash them, but that kit by price/performance/capabilities still looks #1 in my eyes. IIRC some of Essex users were from Canada too, where also salt in winters gets used on roads, and mentioned just more frequent washing.

1 hour ago, Church said:

Ade: but IIRC he started seeking more capable alternatives, because he hit limitations for track use. And rubber dust boots .. on heavy braking at track they can soon be burnt off anyway .. due heat/temperatures caliper paint also fades by time. I'd maybe just more often pressure-wash them, but that kit by price/performance/capabilities still looks #1 in my eyes. IIRC some of Essex users were from Canada too, where also salt in winters gets used on roads, and mentioned just more frequent washing.

Rubber boots can burn on stock brakes with a lot of heat yes, but a 330x28 or bigger disc and N/A you wont have a problem unless perhaps endurance racing. 

I know and have spoken to Peter Collin of AP racing UK. He does not recommend competition kits for UK roads and is adamant their road kits can hold up to track abuse due to the oversized disc. I myself have done 6 trackdays on my AP racing kit and I've been able to use a street pad whereas on stock I had to use Clubracers (and ruined my dust boots) to avoid brake fade. 

Plenty of people on ft86club (who you like to quote so much) use the formula kits and not one has burned the dust boots. 

46 minutes ago, Church said:

IIRC the guys selling the Essex kits in the states have been quite open with people about how quickly they corrode with any salt exposure. They simply arnt the right kit for anyone over here unless the car is track only, and even then driving to a track in winter could be problematic.

i can second what Ade has said with the AP road kit in that it is flawless on both road and track. No brake fade experienced since the kit went on >6 months ago.

Ade likes this