Paul

Brakes

Discs and pads all need doing in the new year.

Money's tighter than I'd have liked (no BBK :() so looking for the best aftermarket brake upgrade package, discs, pads, brake lines and fluid.

Would like to get rid of the horrific squealing if at all possible.

Who's running what and would you recommend?

I'm in the same boat. Had lines and fluid done a month or so ago on last service. Just waiting for the stubborn OEM pads to wear down. I'm probably going with Ferrodo DS 2500 pads and sticking with OEM discs till they need changing.

I'm going to do brakes next year too. I've already got gt3 brake ducts on. I've got a set of project mu hc800+ pads waiting in the garage and I'm going to go with mtec front and rear discs, Hel lines and project mu fluid I think and see how that lot works for me.

If you're not replacing the callipers or going 2-piece, there's not much to be gained by going for fancy grooved/dimpled/drilled discs and such. One cast iron disc is much the same as another as long as they're well made and at least match the design of the OEMs. Just a matter of price, and maybe rust-proofing on the part that doesn't get swept by pads. I have seen cheaper drilled parts cracking, and I've also heard of people chewing pads away for not much gain on grooved discs.

Basically I'm saying focus on pad choice, everything else is cosmetic or only comes into its own under really heavy use. Maybe brake lines, but the OEM ones won't have gotten too spongey in only a few years. Also, EBC yellowstuff can kiss my spoiler.

I'm going to do brakes next year too. I've already got gt3 brake ducts on. I've got a set of project mu hc800+ pads waiting in the garage and I'm going to go with mtec front and rear discs, Hel lines and project mu fluid I think and see how that lot works for me.

I thought Mtec discs had a bad write up?

11 minutes ago, Foulsmell said:

I thought Mtec discs had a bad write up?

I asked on the sprint group I'm a member of and they got good feedback and I know Sam has used them in the past and was quite happy with them so I figured they're worth a try.

yep, I was very happy with them on my MG ZT v6 which is quite a hefty vehicle compared to the twins and was impressed with how good they were compared to the standard discs, they will be the discs I'll change to once I'm back in the seat of a twin

I've got MTEC discs and have had no issues at all, its worth paying that little bit extra for the additional corrosion protection so the non-swept area of the disc stays rust free.

The only bad thing I have to say about Mtec is they had no idea on the size of the rear disc for the 86 plus they were solid rather than vented which meant that they'll be too thin and risk the pads falling out. So I helped them out with dimensions and details of the stock ones, by which point I had to have stock ones fitted so I had to return their discs.....the buggers still charged me to return the discs.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Just ordered front and rear Cosworth Streetmaster pads £160 inc next day delivery from Partbox. Was going for DS2500 but these were a lot cheaper. I've run both on my Type R civic and couldn't tell the difference and half the price.

My fronts are shot it seems, so I'm in the market for some new discs and pads. Thinking another set of streetmaster pads and mtec discs, since they seem to be keenly priced. Is there any difference on the coatings or is it just aesthetics?

27 minutes ago, Rich said:

How are slotted discs from a comfort point of view? Am I going to get horrible judder vs a plain disc?

I can only speak for my AP racing disc which have curved slots. Under hard braking they make a whirring noise but no judder.  Under normal driving they are fine. 

I did notice the stoptech slots are not that aggressive, so hopefully they'll be quiet.

I had the grooved stoptechs on my last car. As above slightly different noise but nothing to speak of through the pedal.