Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Strange rattle from rear

Hi guys.

First off, yes I've googled this before asking, and sorry if it doesn't need a new thread. I've recently been getting some rather odd rattling noises from the rear of the car when driving, especially noticeable at around 4.5-5k rpm. It sounds very much like something rattling/vibrating at a resonance frequency, but its very irritating!! I've starting noticing a slight rattle noise at other lower rpm but much quieter.

I have had the car up, and checked there are no loose bolts, the exhaust is tight, and the underpanels are also bolted tight. I removed the rear exhaust shield (big panel) and I've replaced full exhaust so no other heat shields. Hoping nothing is simply gonna fall off

Has anyone heard this noise (or similar) before?

(It's dark out when I recorded in the car)

My exhaust is quite loud, so difficult to hear initially.

Cheers for any input

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Tried tightening the front metal shield, no rattle in it or loose bolts. Manifold/OP/FP all aftermarket so no covers. Just a massive puzzle 😕

It's a rapid buzz, suggests something without much flap available. Number plate? I found it instructive to drive with the rear seats down, and now know that my seat belts click, my number plate wobbles, and the rear centre brake light vibrates a bit too.

It's a rapid buzz, suggests something without much flap available. Number plate? I found it instructive to drive with the rear seats down, and now know that my seat belts click, my number plate wobbles, and the rear centre brake light vibrates a bit too.

Yep, my number plate and seat belt rattles as well! Along with the gear knob (even after changing to short shifter).

You're right re the 'buzz'. I'm just wondering if it is something like the rear brake backing plate or something.

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, Foulsmell said:

Is it the rear black plastic splitter? It's very flimsy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does seem quite loose, but the sound in person feels more like metal scratching on metal, so not sure it is that.  Wondering whether the exhaust is just too close at the top to the framework, and at certain revs it vibrates enough to hear it?  Who knows!

Thanks for the help guys; will probably just have to take it to the dealer to have a look at for me - I've used two Saturday's and not found anything yet :mellow:

I think i found the problem, or at least hope I have. The Invidia name plate that is welded on to the exhaust has broken its welds on one side.  I have no welding tools, so some high temp epoxy weld is probably the best option at the moment as its not structural.

IMG-20161113-WA0000.jpeg

1 hour ago, Simonnnn said:

you could jam a bit of tin foil in the gap to check if it makes a difference.

Thanks. I took a chance with Epoxy, and it seems to have solved the problem! :lol:  Cable ties just whilst it cured.

Good feeling being able to overtake people without sounding like my car is falling apart! (which technically it was...) 

DSC_0014.JPG

1 hour ago, nerdstrike said:

Great, a name plate that didn't need to be there, that then causes trouble because it's there. Whatever was wrong with some etching on the tail pipes?

I think it does look kinda good, but agreed its ridiculous.  Just a waiting game i guess til my car shakes the weld on the other side free.