gubby85

Hi from Scotland

8 hours ago, gubby85 said:

Just one more thing emoji15.png would I be right in thinking it's not the sweetest sounding engine from the outside while sitting at idle? Got home tonight and got out to open the garage door and could help but notice it doesn't sound great. Sounds good when in the car and it's being reved but just concerned me it didn't sound quite right.

Depends what you mean. I don't think it sounds anything special.

I thought it almost sounded a bit diesely but only from out side the car at idle. Maybe I have been spoiled with previous cars having really sweet engines. It sounds good when being revved and pulls strongly.

I did notice I had some green staining on my engine near where the air intake is I think I have seen this on other people's photos so thought it wasn't something to worry about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the engine itself doesn't sound that nice but it revs well, definitely needs an aftermarket exhaust to make it sound better/drown it out

Regarding the green goo, supposedly it's there to protect the engine during transit over seas from the sea water/air, everyone has it unless they've cleaned it up themselves which I've not bother doing.

Yeah the engine itself doesn't sound that nice but it revs well, definitely needs an aftermarket exhaust to make it sound better/drown it out

Regarding the green goo, supposedly it's there to protect the engine during transit over seas from the sea water/air, everyone has it unless they've cleaned it up themselves which I've not bother doing.

Thanks Keethos.

Makes sense with the green goo. I'll probably just leave it on.

Can see why you would put an exhaust on it just wanted to be sure it was normal for it not to sound great while it is sitting at idle. There was no knocking or anything that I could hear so hopefully all good.

Cheers

Pretty much everyone swops out the stock exhaust. If you want it to sound nice, swop out the exhaust and add an induction kit. Makes it sound pretty good at 7K revs. Though it still doesn't come close to my AE86 for induction noise. 

On 23/09/2016 at 6:37 PM, Lauren said:

Pretty much everyone swops out the stock exhaust. If you want it to sound nice, swop out the exhaust and add an induction kit. Makes it sound pretty good at 7K revs. Though it still doesn't come close to my AE86 for induction noise. 

I see your induction kit and raise you a pair of side-draft mikuni's and a full stainless exhaust ;)

Hi folks,

Only got one photo at the moment but thought I better post it up.

Been too busy driving it while the weather has been nice.

Thanks for the help with the key fob battery changed it yesterday was really easy.

Only annoying thing recently is the underneath of my front bumper got scraped while on a country road the other day. Wasn't going fast just seemed the car didn't cope with the compression very well. You have to get on your knees and look right under to see it but it will annoy me knowing it's there I was wondering if this would cause a rust problem in the future or would a touch up pen be alright? As I said it's not in sight so would be happy to touch it up myself.

Thanks.

f3a551edf6ed5a5e544fafcb807bfa98.jpg

There won't be any issues with rust on the underside of you front bumper as they are plastic, I've scraped mine a couple of times, not something I'm too worried about since you can't see it and it's only going to get scuffed up more if not by the roads then stone chips etc.

My bumper has been scraped countless times, grounding out on things. But unless you get underneath the car you can't see it, so it's academic as to whether it's even worth touching up really. You can touch it up of course if you wish, but you'll doubtless do it again, which is what I found. 

If you're bothered about scraping the bumper, you could always get a splitter. Much easier and cheaper to replace than a bumper if you scratch/damage it.

That being said, I'm lowered about 25mm with a splitter also, so there's barely a speedbump in my area I can get over without scraping.

Just a quick update

The car has been great fun over the last few weeks , never been in a car that inspires so much confidence, however want to get people's thoughts on two things.

First is squeaking brakes! Now I have seen things mentioned in forums about the brakes being squeaky under light breaking and this is exactly what mine do if I apply the pedal harder the squeak goes away. However my rear left brake seems to continually squeak when driving around at low speed and this is getting annoying. Would this be something I could get Toyota to look at under warranty?

The second thing is all my doing trying to come out of a multi storey car park looking to see if the road was clear and clipped both alloys on a curb! Never done this before in my life and was just a tad angry with myself! Both parts of damage are at the edge of the rim. Just wanted people's opinions on who easy this will be to sort with the alloys being different colours from the factory? Anyone that can recommend any good refurb places in the Ayrshire/Glasgow area would be appreciated as well.

Thanks all!

Brakes squeak for lots of reasons. Pad compound (usually the high temp pads), insufficient paste applied to the sliders and pads, too much paste applied to the pads, and most likely in this case, a small stone lodged into the pad. Look closely for any scoring of the disc surface, or just pop the pads out and take a look.

They should do something, there is a bulletin to swap squeaky brakes for a less performance orientated pad so less squeak, but they might be up for copper greasing them up first before swapping them out.  If you can find a quiet fast road somewhere, do some fast hard stops, I find that brakes remain quiet after a track day or fast country road driving so give that a try maybe.....though they can come back and start squeaking again.