will300

Will300's Subaru BRZ Build

I always say you learn more on a wet track day as it teaches you a lot about how the car feels and you focus in on it. It was kind of the best of both worlds as it dried out in the afternoon and this made a massive difference to the speeds you can carry. Twas a great track day. I just love Oulton. :)

10 hours ago, Mike said:

Was about to say that's pretty loud in car... then remembered the mic was outside :D 

It should be a pretty accurate recording of what it actually sounds like from outside. In theory.

Minor Update: 

As I've got a spare couple of hours I've finally got round to fixing the photobucket images on the initial post and the BBK post. I'm also going to do a quick update to let everyone know what's going on, nothing major at the moment.

On the 21st of May (god it doesn't seem that long ago) I attended the Show n Shine meet hosted by @Neal, I ended up winning the best present car trophy after spending the previous day completely cleaning the car inside and out, I also gave the car a couple of last minute touch ups at the show, I got a total score of 14.5 out of 15 (I think), due to engine bay letting me down. Thanks again to Neal for organising the event. Here's a picture of the trophy and a clean engine bay, which I tided up the following day.

1.thumb.jpg.100d2e5d40e72f8c3089891b798610c1.jpg

The following couple of months I attended various shows and meets including both Japfests. I've also done 3 track days since the Oulton Park day back in February. One at Blyton Park with the club hosted by Lotus on Track, what a brilliant day that was. The car was faultless and the brake's were amazing, I definitely surprised a couple of the lotus guys with just how fast the car was. And in the past month I've done two track days (well 1 and a half) both at Bedford Autodrome, the first one was alot better than the 2nd, which I'll get on to shortly.

Here's a couple of photo's from the recent Partbox meet:

2.jpg.0191953ba997f677ecd0bca3727b5a43.jpg

This is quite possibly my favourite photo this year of the car.

3.jpg.36dbaabc541ae8fee1126f48d2722a75.jpg

On the 19th of August I took the car to Tuning Developments for @Mike@TD.co.uk (& Nick) to service the car (4th year) and check a couple off issue's I had. 

For those that are interested here is the list of issue's: 

1. Exhaust manifold knocking/rubbing the undertray - Unfortunately this is the only niggle with the ACE CS400 manifold. Nick soon fixed this by hammering the undertray out. I'm looking at getting some uprated engine mounts as I'm not entirely convinced the issue has fully gone.

2. Exhaust system blowing - It turns out one of the joins on my AVO exhaust was leaking, so Nick took the exhaust off and resealed it. 

3. Brake pedal feeling a little spongy - Brake system was fully bleed, issue now gone. 

4. Tweaks to the throttle map - When I had the car remapped by Tuning Developments originally they mapped the car with two different throttle maps. One standard map and one more aggressive map. However I always felt the standard map was not responsive enough for my liking and the aggressive map was too sharp for daily driving (aggressive is perfect on track), so I ended up just using the aggressive throttle map. I informed Mike of this and he tweaked the standard map more to my liking, its now perfect for day to day driving. 

All of the above issue were sorted promptly. Once everything had been completed Mike told me that Nick had found an issue with the car which they couldn't fix (didn't have the part in stock). One of my rear ARB drop links had broken, it's that moment you then think **** how long has that been like that, I mean I was on track at Bedford two weeks before. Anyway I wasn't happy but nothing could be done about it. I then swiftly emailed Fensport who I purchased the droplinks from and they got a new set sent out next day, Thanks Fensport. Let this be a warning to anyone running aftermarket droplinks, check them regularly. 

4.thumb.jpg.3d7cc429b71f9d4dbd7df451aeb8d37e.jpg

It was now time for round 2 at Bedford (Thanks @Deacon, I'm now broke again :lol:). The day started off well, I meet most of the guys there, did the noise test which I passed and thought that was that. However it turns out that Nick's fix on my exhaust made the drive by noise level alot louder. Unfortunately this meant I got black flagged in the first session, damn Bedford and it's low drive by limit. I was however given a 2nd chance, so on my 2nd session I decided to short shift, no complaints this time. 3rd session, I had @Deacon in the car as he was interested in the stopping power of my AP Racing BBK. I pushed alittle bit to hard and got black flagged again, this was me done for the day. For reference Bedfords drive by limit is 87.5db apparently I was hitting 92db. I'm going to look at getting something sorted over the next couple of months to hopefully lower the drive by noise level. I'll also be looking at getting my oil cooler fitted and a oil temp / oil pressure gauge fitted. 

As I now had a free afternoon I decided to help out a fellow club member I'd been speaking with (@alucado). He's interested in my BBK as he's looking to purchasing the same setup. Anyway he was in talks with @Lucas@PartBox about a set of Rays wheel's he was selling, but he didn't want to commit to buying them without knowing if they'd clear a BBK setup. He spoke to myself and Lucas and we arranged to try the wheels out on my car. The wheel fitment is: 17x7 +42. So I gave Lucas a call and told him I was now free for the afternoon, a couple of hours later I was at Partbox. I meet with Lucas and we had a chat about various things, mostly about me spending money. Anyway here is a couple of shots of the Rays wheels on my car, which as you can see clear the BBK without issue:

5.jpg.d68400747e03b3a64eaaecbf0595da50.jpg

6.jpg.b7fb8f21bfda24eda297d9e3d53677cf.jpg

7.jpg.3fa69fd3590c181383c1409d52df2c9e.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for looking.

On 17/11/2016 at 2:20 PM, rob275 said:

Shame about supply issues, same reason I had to cancel and glad I did now... Might need to get some banana injection in mine to keep the temps down :D 

Banana injection is the way forward. Glad to see some of you are embracing the dark side ☠ 

Looking very good, Will. :)

I know what you mean about the throttle map, it's a little too sharp when you go to pull away and especially so when the car is cold. I've adapted to it, but blimey you need a very sensitive right foot. My duller throttle map, is just too dull, so feels terrible if I use it. I know Kev had his altered, just to take the initial sharpness out of it. I didn't know the driveby at Bedford was that low. That really is low, I don't think I'd pass that. I thought Donington was tight with a 98 Db drive by, but that's a lot, lot higher than Bedford. 

Agreed on the throttle map, I've been thinking about asking Mike about it as mine is pretty jerky leaving the estate as you can't go over ~10mph for a while. Tried it with the standard map and it felt like the throttle pedal wasn't connected at all! Switched back to my normal map when I thought I was coasting and got a lurch forward as it adjusted to the new sensitivity prompting a complaint from my passenger :D 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Agreed on the throttle map, I've been thinking about asking Mike about it as mine is pretty jerky leaving the estate as you can't go over ~10mph for a while. Tried it with the standard map and it felt like the throttle pedal wasn't connected at all! Switched back to my normal map when I thought I was coasting and got a lurch forward as it adjusted to the new sensitivity prompting a complaint from my passenger :D 

I need to get mine done too for exactly the same reasons

I had my maps changed as my car bogged down below 2000 revs on full and part throttle even with car warmed up. Mike and Nick sorted it but still does a little bit but not as bad but just have to drive round it.

3 hours ago, Ade said:

@will300 you must clean your calipers alot. So clean! Look lovely :wub:

Do you think you boiled the fluid then if bleeding them helped the spongy pedal? What fluid do you have?

I did seal them with GTechniq Wheel Armour before they were fitted, makes them alittle bit easy to clean.

I told Mike the issue I was having with them and he did say it sounded like I've boiled the fluid. The initial couple of days after the first bedford I did notice the groves in the rotor was completely full of dust which didn't help much either. Not sure on fluid, its just the stuff TD use. 

I am just having my fluid changed with mot and service next month. I use Castrol SRF as it has the highest wet boiling point of 270 degrees C, dry is 310 degrees C. Recommend change fluid every 18/24 months.

Its expensive but worth it and have not had any brake fade with braided hoses and Ferodo 2500 pads all round.

IMG_2914.JPG

34 minutes ago, MikeB said:

I am just having my fluid changed with mot and service next month. I use Castrol SRF as it has the highest wet boiling point of 270 degrees C, dry is 310 degrees C. Recommend change fluid every 18/24 months.

Its expensive but worth it and have not had any brake fade with braided hoses and Ferodo 2500 pads all round.

IMG_2914.JPG

This is the best but silly money. RBF600 in mine and no issues at all.

44 minutes ago, MikeB said:

IMG_2914.JPG

I'm surprised if it recommends every 18-24 months!

I had RBF600. Changed it after 9 months.

Problem with higher temp fuild is they tend to absorb moisture at a faster rate. 

I now run dot 5.1 and I ran dot 5.1 with race pads on stock brakes too and no issues so I dint see the need to spend the extra money of high temp fluid. 

The reason I asked Will was because I found the RBF600 gave me a softer feeling pedal within a year. 

Been a while since my last update, nothing has changed performance wise. 

However today I picked my car up from being detailed by Reep Midlands in Leicester. Car now has PPF applied to the front bumper, along with a couple of pieces on the rear bumper. G-Techniq Crystal Serum Ultra Black applied everywhere else. I also had the engine bay cleaned and front brake calipers sealed. 

I ordered some new wheels a month or some ago, they are Japan Racing JR29's in Bronze, size: 17x8 +35. Fitted with Michelin PS4's. 

Also fitted a new Yuasa 60Ah battery as the standard 48Ah one died on me. 

Here are a couple of photo's.

detailed1.thumb.jpg.82c0c067b4a30e312b4388e7e0b4d762.jpg

detailed2.thumb.jpg.4f82ca83ad2ab645bde19012deba7ba6.jpg

detailed3.thumb.jpg.c2c3d5fc0a8d8120d7843c413d6fe3cf.jpg

detailed4.thumb.jpg.f2ddb3b7ae7558cefd69db4d3fe1c706.jpg

detailed5.thumb.jpg.292b8e639b2e1908895bbb12689c5e5e.jpg

Saw this posted on facebook earlier in the week. Looks even better in full size pics B)

Seriously tempted by some 17x8 +35 wheels for mine as a downsize from my 18's. How much is yours lowered by approximately?

Over the last few weekends I decide to start a new project on the BRZ, sound deadening. Recently during the last 6 months I've started to get feed up of the amount of road noise that gets feed into the cabin. So in an attempt to tackle this I did some research on the various 86 forums and came across the following guide: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511.

Using that guide as a base I bought some sound deadening materials from Amazon and went about installing it all. 

Materials used:

Silent Coat tiles - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Coat-187x265mm-Deadening-Proofing/dp/B00NVE013I/

Dodo Pro Barrier MLV - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dodo-Mat-Barrier-Proofing-Camper/dp/B00LUOQWDY/

Silent Coat absorber foam: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Coat-Sound-Absorber-Proofing/dp/B00CV0BM0O/ 

Sound deadening insulation 

Over the next couple of posts will be various pictures of the install. I decided to start with one of the most difficult jobs of the lot, the roof. Followed by the rear wheel arches. 

Roof Install - Headlining removed

Roof1.jpg.49cfd7ac17b8b29d142f52e6aed2f50e.jpg

Silent Coat tiles added

Roof2.jpg.03570c54995c266a4a45731d0c933252.jpg

Additional sound deadening insulation material

Roof3.jpg.c9a5cf503ad4076909f47be4eb2ae15b.jpg

Head lining re-installed.

Roof4.jpg.ac9e13cd548e8a7b583e977f7bc62954.jpg

Rear Wheel Arches:

Rear1.jpg.fc80cc64f96b0d21af657e9c584ed5f9.jpg

Silent Coat tiles applied

Rear2.thumb.jpg.f0ed64341a8108543369dc2e6bed5ac6.jpg

Rear3.thumb.jpg.4706c3cd1b75d453d9cc79a7cfa6ab1c.jpg

Sound deadening insulation material filling the remaining gap

Rear4.thumb.jpg.ef88c11bfc4ca090076ba2f7d2637097.jpg

Dodomat Pro MLV added to rear quarter panels

Rear5.jpg.89ab28d2cad10ee1b6023bbe5a683a85.jpg

Rear6.jpg.05c42290c52294ac308f4963b44dead9.jpg

Rear7.jpg.5243189a5fe76da78b30e605b645f655.jpg

This has definitely helped as it moved the noise from the back of the cabin more towards the front, it's still to noisy though, on the next step.