Guest 86guns
On 22/12/2017 at 9:39 PM, 86guns said:

I’m booked in for the EL and remap in the new year together with the shifter springs. Looking forward to it.

Got package fitted yesterday and been hooning about most of today. Big grins. 

2 hours ago, Cerec1 said:

I’m planning UEL. Fancy the Subaru warble myself. 

Same :D booked in for 4th of Feb (unless something catastrophic happens). Honestly the most excited I've been about something in a while, reviews are amazing and that only fills me with even more confidence (not to mention that @Mike@TD.co.uk is a stand up guy, definitely worth the trip from Wolverhampton :P

I have got NA tune package done by Mike@TD.co.uk just before new year and now after 150+ miles I thought I am ready to post couple comments.

Power: + 21HP max/ + 25HP mid range. Mid-range torque: +>30%, about 40 Fltb @ 4k rpm

I must admit I did not feel GT86 lacked power for daily driving, may be apart from track days (and only because I needed to overcompensate for my insufficient ability), but the torque dip mid range was something I felt could have been better from the very time I left the dealership.

Now, the torque dip has been completely eliminated and the car no longer hesitates before reaching 5k rpms. I fact, anything above 2.5-3k feels like a different driving experience - its much more eager to please, no lingering and lot more fun to drive (although going over speed limit now happens quicker). I noticed that I subconsciously use paddle shifters to keep slightly higher revs that auto normally does (and the MPG did go down a bit).

Mike has pretty much "fixed" the only thing I felt somewhat underwhelmed about. I am very glad I decided not to wait much longer (well, lasted only 6mths before doing my first mods - separate post to follow...) and totally agree with all the forum comments about this being pretty much "the best mod".

Well, for a balanced review - one problem, now I want to try the turbo car and see how it feels and drives back-to-back with NA tuned. Totally Mike's fault for offering a "staged upgrade option" at reasonable price and solid workmanship :)

The noise level is easily low enough for me to go to Thruxton, the tone has changed somewhat and due to the change in air filter its more noticeable when the intake increases. Engine noise no longer pumped into the cabin which was a pleasant surprise for the family (I let them wait until I decide to change the exhaust :)).

I just cant wait to go and try it out on track.

THANK YOU Mike!

20180113_105029.jpg

Just now, Cerec1 said:

Mines booked for 3 weeks time for the same mods. 

Interested in the remark about getting the sound not pumped into the cabin. How’s that achieved?

You can just blank it off. Though the OP has a new intake hose which  replaces the original including the take off for the sound generator. 

18 hours ago, Lauren said:

You can just blank it off. Though the OP has a new intake hose which  replaces the original including the take off for the sound generator. 

Does it make the cabin quieter?

14 minutes ago, Cerec1 said:

Does it make the cabin quieter?

Depends if you stick on a louder exhaust at the same time! If just blanking off the noise generator, yes. 

Yes it does, the cigarette lighter point in glove box has a blank in it. This fits perfectly as a plug, pull back the carpet by the pedals and pop it in.

@VAD17 which maps did you go for? As another auto owner, I’m struggling to see the relevance of the 4 “regular” maps (flat foot shifting, launch control etc. Crap fuel map is irrelevant for me as it’s never gonna get crap fuel 😂). Would be interesting to hear what you got. As Lauren asked - is there any particular reason you had your coolant hose wrapped in titanium? I was thinking of upgrading those to silicone hoses.

Regarding coolant hose - thats probably question to Mike.
I wanted TD NA tune and after talking to Mike and explaining how I use the car and drive it, I just let him customize it based on my "wish list". I am still experiencing it and experimenting...
I also got silicone intake hose, KSports front BBK, braided lines, Yellowstuff pads front and rears, Tein Flex A, and Rays GramLights CR57 with MPS4 tyres.
TD did all the work, changed fluids, aligned wheels, plus did 1st service.
I must also add - its been a pleasure dealing with Mike and talking to him, superb customer service. (Mike - thanks for your patience with quite a few dumb questions from me).
I will be coming back for more, even considering the long drive its worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Kaisersalsek said:

@VAD17 which maps did you go for? As another auto owner, I’m struggling to see the relevance of the 4 “regular” maps (flat foot shifting, launch control etc. Crap fuel map is irrelevant for me as it’s never gonna get crap fuel 😂). Would be interesting to hear what you got. As Lauren asked - is there any particular reason you had your coolant hose wrapped in titanium? I was thinking of upgrading those to silicone hoses.

Even on a manual, the flat foot shifting, launch control and throttle blip are gimmicks. Well probably the throttle auto blip is useful for those that can't drive but obviously not relevant to an auto. Ditto poor fuel map, it just never happens. I have one of my maps with a softer throttle map which is useful if someone else has to drive the car, but I've never used any of the gimmick stuff, ever. I just use full power map all the time. 

4 hours ago, KevinA said:

Yes it does, the cigarette lighter point in glove box has a blank in it. This fits perfectly as a plug, pull back the carpet by the pedals and pop it in.

You mean there is a hole in the floor under the carpet?

I'm sticking with the stock exhaust system beyond the new headers. 

I’ve always think it’s just a thrashy engine note, which is half the reason I’m going for the UEL headers when I have the TD NA tune in 4 weeks time. 

If I can reduce the cabin noise great. It’s never going to ‘sing’ like a 6 cylinder engine so the quieter the better. Especially on motorways.

Sounds  like my car is going to be a massively better drive pretty soon. 

Thanks for the feedbacks so far guys. 

1 hour ago, Kaisersalsek said:

TD did my auto last year and had it a couple of times to get the map right for auto’s. Only 3 maps, one for economy/service, one for road and last one for sharper throttle for track. We did find the car bogged down on full throttle below 2,000 rev’s and Mike managed to dial it out as best they could (I have to use hand controls so can’t keep foot on brake and plant foot on throttle).

This is with there EL manifold and full resonated system apart from Milltek overpipe and very happy with results and ten times better than previous remap and system.

I have also had rear diff ratio changed from 4.1 to 4.67 which makes a big difference to the way the car drives and would recommend as the first mod to an auto. It lifts the revs in each gear and makes cruising on motorway a lot better and only drop a few mpg.

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

The crap fuel map is helpful for far flung places both home and abroad when premium fuel isn't available and you need to "splash and dash". 

You'd think this would be the case, but with 110K miles and having driven over a lot of Northern Europe, I've never had to put anything less than super unleaded in it. 

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

You'd think this would be the case, but with 110K miles and having driven over a lot of Northern Europe, I've never had to put anything less than super unleaded in it. 

I believe the Scottish route which some members on here have done requires a 95ron fuel stop somewhere along the line. 

Just now, Paul said:

I believe the Scottish route which some members on here have done requires a 95ron fuel stop somewhere along the line. 

Yeah, I've heard that. Think I'd take a jerry can. 

6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Yeah, I've heard that. Think I'd take a jerry can. 

Always a preferable option but I like having the map there just in case. 😀

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

Always a preferable option but I like having the map there just in case. 😀

Absolutely. I'd only use if I absolutely had to and given I only use one map out of 4, there's certainly room for the 95 one. No point not having it.