Tom B

Tom's Project

21 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Turn them to full stiff and back off from there. I found around 9 clicks from full stiff was a fairly soft daily use setting,  7 clicks for a little stiffer daily use setting. As you turn the adjustment knob you should feel it sit in an indent - this is a click. 

The dampers have more than 16 clicks of adjustment but don't go past 16 from full stiff as it may damage the valving (although unlikely) and there's no real point as until the final 16 useable clicks it won't do anything to changing the dampers. 

Thanks Jeff, I was assuming that full stiff would just stop, and I couldn't turn anymore, I've now found the point where it doesn't quite 'click' and taking that as full stiff, and counting back from there. Sounds like a daft question but don't want to break anything! 

1 hour ago, Tom B said:

Thanks Jeff, I was assuming that full stiff would just stop, and I couldn't turn anymore, I've now found the point where it doesn't quite 'click' and taking that as full stiff, and counting back from there. Sounds like a daft question but don't want to break anything! 

No problem. When you get to full stiff it should stop and not turn anymore (you may get a little more after the last indent/click but not a full turn). Turn back to the first indent/click you get to and count back from there. 

The diagram below hopefully shows what I was trying to explain about why there is more than 16 clicks (I'd guess around 30 ish if you did keep turning it) but why tein talk about 16. Basically the first x (14?) clicks don't do anything. The final 16 clicks (to full stiff) are then on a curve, rather than a linear relationship as they are on high end dampers, so the change to the damping rate between say 16 and 12 clicks will be a lot less of a change than between say 6 and 2 clicks which would give a big increase in damping rate.

Hope that makes some sense! 

IMG_20160817_203501.jpg

So had my car at RRG Macclesfield the last couple of days having some warranty work done. It's the first time I've had my car in there and can only echo what others have already said, their service is spot on! As well as the few niggles I had they also fitted my MTEC shift springs and Perrin shift bush. The difference is astonishing and I would say they best Mod I'll do to the car, it's so much more 'Slotty' as Rich put it :lol: but seriously, it's so much nicer to drive now!

They noted that my rear tyres are getting towards the end of their life, so now's the time to stop spending hours everyday looking at wheels and choose some to fit along with new tyres! Won't be anything exotic unfortunately, but hopefully improve the look over stock! - Watch this space! B)

Had a few concerns about my car recently, mainly being it's out of Warranty next year and the resale value is no doubt going to take a hit after then, I'm in a position where it's worth more than I owe on it at present so this morning I've agreed a deal to part ex it! 😔 

New car is a 15 Plate Mini Cooper S with hardly any mileage and a heap load of optional extras.

Flex A Coilovers, Borla Catless UEL Manifold and KMS custom cat back will be a few of the parts I'll be removing and putting up for sale soon.

A little bit sad to see the car go but I've had plenty enjoyment out of it, don't think I'll ever own another car that looks and handles as good as the GT.

2 hours ago, Tom B said:

Had a few concerns about my car recently, mainly being it's out of Warranty next year and the resale value is no doubt going to take a hit after then, I'm in a position where it's worth more than I owe on it at present so this morning I've agreed a deal to part ex it! 😔 

New car is a 15 Plate Mini Cooper S with hardly any mileage and a heap load of optional extras.

Flex A Coilovers, Borla Catless UEL Manifold and KMS custom cat back will be a few of the parts I'll be removing and putting up for sale soon.

A little bit sad to see the car go but I've had plenty enjoyment out of it, don't think I'll ever own another car that looks and handles as good as the GT.

Please keep me in mind for the coilovers when they are taken off! Very interested in them

Thanks

Jake

On 19/12/2016 at 11:44 AM, Tom B said:

They why leave us?  Why leave the GT?  Especially for a Mini?  (sorry, personally dislike Mini's :P) It's a shame to see you go dude!

6 hours ago, Keethos said:

They why leave us?  Why leave the GT?  Especially for a Mini?  (sorry, personally dislike Mini's :P) It's a shame to see you go dude!

Haha! Sorry Keith! Mini is a great little car though. Plenty of room for engine tuning too. Just not quite as eye catching as the GT 😜