long-gone

Known Issues

Some of our cars are coming up to four years old now so I just wondered if there are any known/common issues we should be looking out for?

Mine's only done c. 45,000 miles and the only wear and tear items to be replaced have been front discs. Pads have been replaced front and rear but they're consumables like oil and tyres really. I've also had a coil-pack replaced under warranty after it kept going into limp mode after a sound thrashing. That was >20,000 miles ago and no repeat since.

Anything else to watch out for on standard(ish) cars?

1 minute ago, Willtl said:

Window panel rust in a 4 year old car? Disappointing.

I think production has been changed of the rubber seal that causes it now so it only effects the earlier cars.

To be fair, the car is still a bit young for the full list of troubles to emerge. At least they're pretty good for the first few years, albeit with rattly interiors. I'm expecting rust to manifest, just because it's Japanese.

1 hour ago, Willtl said:

Window panel rust in a 4 year old car? Disappointing.

Mine has it, it's a warranty fix though.

Check for vertical scratches on the windows too, caused by a faulty mechanism.

12 hours ago, Rich said:

Mine has it, it's a warranty fix though.

Check for vertical scratches on the windows too, caused by a faulty mechanism.

It has a 12 year warranty for rust so Subaru must be pretty confident it isn't going to rust during that time.

Hi sorry to hi-jack your thread, i purchased TRD Gt_86 couple of days ago - it happens to have rusty door pillars aswell. The car as mentioned during collection, sales guy confirmed it comes with 12 year corrosion warranty. Should i wait until the next service to mention to them or get it escalated now? 

I have attached the pics for more clarity. Again i apologise for stealing your thread, i just thought it would be easy to correspond to the issue you were similarly experiencing. 

Many thanks. 

20171020_145456.jpg

20171020_145442.jpg

20171020_145432.jpg

20171020_145412.jpg

20171020_145403.jpg

20171020_145355.jpg

Hmm. I cannot comment much Lauren. I am still on honeymoon phase with my 86. 

According to Toyota site, it does state 12 year anti-corrosion and perforation warranty? As picture below.. my TRD is 2013 and still has year worth of warranty left on it and it sucks to see the corrosion on the side like that. 

I hope i can get it replaced under the warranty.

15085115609341614138132.jpg

Some may fob you off with "it comes under paint work" in which only covered with a 3 year warranty!! This is what was said to me when I had rust under weather strip under bonnet. I was lucky that they sorted it for me but other toyota dealers are arses💩😁

ive noticed this on mine and my cars out of warranty. Ive seen the same case on another forum and someone said it was quite straight forward to fix yourself once you've got the part. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Ive seen the parts for sale off a breaking car on ebay 

Interesting footnote to this.

My neighbour 5 doors up has a 2014 BRZ. His car showed the tell tale signs, much like my 2013 '86. I mentioned that he needed to jump on it whilst his car was still in warranty because it was an expensive fix. He took it to the local Subaru dealer where he bought the car and they've refused to honour it. When pointing out that it's a known issue with the cars and that I'd had the same thing sorted with my GT86, they came out with the immortal line, "GT86's are made in a different factory and so this isn't the same issue."

Totally ratifies my decision to get the Toyota over the Subaru. Shocking dealer BS.