8 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

Id need to double check, I believe mine is the one near the AC? I really am not sure. I guess with the sprintex there would be no room for the top oil gallery either? I have an oil cooler, I assume you do too.

As much as I love my car, and I love that I didnt have to spend big money doing all the modifications. I do miss be able to say with certainty what has been done off the top of my head.

I have an oil to water laminova. It doesn't drop much pressure at all compared to a conventional radiator as the oil flow is kept Laminar. Details on my build thread if you are interested. 

1 hour ago, Ade said:

I have an oil to water laminova. It doesn't drop much pressure at all compared to a conventional radiator as the oil flow is kept Laminar. Details on my build thread if you are interested. 

This makes sense now, I thought you have fitted this as well as the oil cooler just to help temps maintain high and quicker on short road trip. Sorry I didnt read it fully.

This explains why you probably have higher oil temps at the very top end, compared to me, but by heck is that laminova doing a cracking job!!!! What a good solution. Is this with a stock rad, and coolant stat?

3 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

This makes sense now, I thought you have fitted this as well as the oil cooler just to help temps maintain high and quicker on short road trip. Sorry I didnt read it fully.

This explains why you probably have higher oil temps at the very top end, compared to me, but by heck is that laminova doing a cracking job!!!! What a good solution. Is this with a stock rad, and coolant stat?

I have the stock rad but Cosworth low temp thermostat.

The cossy tsat starts to open at 76C and fully open by 90C, so you can see by my data that the Tstat is never fully open (on the whole).

Stock Tstat starts opening at 90C and fully open by 95C. Generally my car used to run 93-95C on trackdays without the SC installed.

I am considering bonnet vents to help bring coolant temps down a bit. 

26 minutes ago, Ade said:

I have the stock rad but Cosworth low temp thermostat.

The cossy tsat starts to open at 76C and fully open by 90C, so you can see by my data that the Tstat is never fully open (on the whole).

Stock Tstat starts opening at 90C and fully open by 95C. Generally my car used to run 93-95C on trackdays without the SC installed.

Mine stays at a solid 90 on a track day according to the scan gauge.

I had considered a vented bonnet too. Just havent seen one I like yet.

26 minutes ago, Ade said: I have the stock rad but Cosworth low temp thermostat.

Mine stays at a solid 90 on a track day according to the scan gauge.

I had considered a vented bonnet too. Just havent seen one I like yet.

velox motorsport hood vents are top of my list. They did proper airflow analysis and testing.

15 minutes ago, Ade said:

velox motorsport hood vents are top of my list. They did proper airflow analysis and testing.

Seen these, they are no looker though to be honest. I am almost tempted by bonnet risers. You know the ones you see on saxos that lift the hinges up a little so the back of the bonnet it kicks up allowing air up over the windscreen.

On 28/04/2016 at 10:54 AM, DanJ said:

Yep, was shifting up early to help with oil temps, need to sort that cooler out!

It was the run with you as a passenger, you're the independent witness :)

I finally got my torque app running yesterday - had a spirited drive in the countryside in an attempt to replicate track conditions [while sticking to the speed limit and being very safe and attentive] but clearly failed to do so: oil temps stayed below 100c and IATs peaked at 14c above ambient. 

I had spoken to mark about the potential need for an oil cooler if I was tracking more regularly. He told me to monitor temps on track and end the session if they are too high.

what constitutes dangerously high oil temps?

Well, if you're going over 125C then I'd want an oil cooler. You can't replicate track conditions on the road, so you can only gauge what the oil temp is on track really, because it is just not possible to drive hard like you would on track. I've seen 125C on track on a hot day too 35C. I just lifted off on the straights a bit to help cool it down. I kept my sessions to around ten minutes. That helps. 

It's continued high load and high revs that really pushes up the oil temps (increased engine friction and most heat rejection from burning the most fuel) so as Lauren says its pretty difficult to replicate on the road.

The Abbey map has a Racerom custom map that reduces engine power when the oil hits 130deg.C. If you really rev it out on track without a cooler then you can get to this quite easily, but I've found by short-shifting at 6000 to 6500 rpm you can keep it around 120 to 125deg.C pretty easily unless its a particularly warm day.

With lots of mid-range torque tt doesn't make a huge difference to laptime and makes no difference to how much fun the corners are, but I'll still be fitting an oil cooler before summer track days this year for peace of mind. 

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

Well, if you're going over 125C then I'd want an oil cooler.

I was hitting 125C within 1 and a half proper laps at Donny when we went at the end of October and it wasn't particularly warm that day. Probably related to the TD manifold as that gets pretty toasty!

Thanks for the responses. I will see what my temps are like on track.

Dan do you think your final drive could in some way be increasing the temps?

If you do get an oil cooler can you let us know which one you go for. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I was hitting 125C within 1 and a half proper laps at Donny when we went at the end of October and it wasn't particularly warm that day. Probably related to the TD manifold as that gets pretty toasty!

I was sitting at around 130C for most of that day. I think aftermarket manifolds dump a fair bit more heat into the engine bay. I'm not doing much in terms of mods with my car this year, but I think an oil cooler may be on the cards for engine longevity if nothing else.

13 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

I just thought potentially faster reving, and, if he didn't short shift, more time spent up the rev range.

Temperatures are the result of time spent at higher RPM. Faster revving would possibly keep temps down. If anything a longer FD will increase temps as you're in the rev bands longer.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I was sitting at around 130C for most of that day. I think aftermarket manifolds dump a fair bit more heat into the engine bay. I'm not doing much in terms of mods with my car this year, but I think an oil cooler may be on the cards for engine longevity if nothing else.

I was standard there and kept seeing it go up to 128. I've been looking into cooling solutions for this year aswell as I'd like to be able to do a 20 min session without keeping one eye on the oil temperature.

I've got a Hel oil cooler on the way (as have a couple of others). It's a 19 row setrab core so should be more than up to the job na. It'll hopefully be on for the Oulton Park day.