I am looking at the TD oil cooler kit (yes, I'm lazy). Not sure what the thermostat is on that. @Mike@TD.co.uk would know, but they also sell an 80C thermostat so I'd assume it's that.

I am also considering fitting a water-to-oil cooler like Ade has. That avoids the need for a thermostat all together and warms the oil up quickly in normal driving.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I am also considering fitting a water-to-oil cooler like Ade has. That avoids the need for a thermostat all together and warms the oil up quickly in normal driving.

^ This over anything under a 90C stat any day of the week IMO. Really the higher the stat the better for a daily driven car, unless you block the rad off in colder weather.

Yep, you want the oil to get hot enough to boil off any moisture. I've got a 100 deg.C stat for when I fit my cooler.

I'm going for a similar design to Harrop's kit in the image below but will be designing a 3D printed scoop that has less frontal area blockage and "steers" some air back down behind it.

I disagree with one of the earlier comments on the effect of the shorter final drive, if you rev it out in every gear then your average rpm is greater so the heat rejection to the oil will be correspondingly greater.

b26265b6-181e-41fd-a95c-df4977bb153f.jpg

I had this Harrop kit on track at Castle Combe yesterday and it was great.

I had torque app running on my spare android phone for the morning session (until the battery cut out) and recorded a peak oil temp of 116. I'm ashamed to say I barely looked at the IATs.....had a cursory glance as I was coming in to the pit lane from a long session and it was reading low40s (9 degree ambient).

Next time I'll try to do some loging rather than this IAT guesswork. I just got distracted and forgot!

So, it turns out I don't need an oil cooler currently, but we'll see how things go in the summer. The AP racing brakes were also fantastic. The primacies and stock suspension, not so much....

On 13/01/2017 at 6:04 PM, DanJ said:

Yep, you want the oil to get hot enough to boil off any moisture. I've got a 100 deg.C stat for when I fit my cooler.

I'm going for a similar design to Harrop's kit in the image below but will be designing a 3D printed scoop that has less frontal area blockage and "steers" some air back down behind it.

I disagree with one of the earlier comments on the effect of the shorter final drive, if you rev it out in every gear then your average rpm is greater so the heat rejection to the oil will be correspondingly greater.

b26265b6-181e-41fd-a95c-df4977bb153f.jpg

Dan, any update on your oil cooler, have you got one fitted?

Not yet, been too busy with day job and uni work to design the duct work. I'll probably end up doing a simple fabricated scoop for now and replace it over the winter.

I have oil temp reported on Torque and short shift to manage oil temps on hot days, if i couldn't do that it'd be much higher up the priority list!

Just tell your university that you will be designing an oil cooler for your main assignment! 

When I was last on track (donnington) it was quite a warm day. Later on in the afternoon I was staring to find oil temps rising to low 120s after just a few laps, so I need to get one if I'm going to do any summer track work.

I fee like £800 is too much for one of these (like the harrop, HKS or Perrin ones) - the mishimoto one for £470 could be a better bet. 

ttps://www.harrop.com.au/shop/automotive-performance/superchargers/harrop-tvs2300/tvs1320-toyota-86-subaru-brz

Due to the Australia $ weakening a little against the UK £ these Harrop SC price has had a price reduction.

New price is £4882.01 inc vat for supply only.

Some more good information on the following site https://www.harrop.com.au/tvs86

We can supply self fit kits including a good base tune to be loaded into the car and can supply either a rented Ecutek cable/dongle or you can but a Dongle kit out right.

We can also fit the kit in house and tune the car on our in-house dyno.  

Cost for this includes and oil and filter change £5974.13.

Dyno plot of a Harrop with totally stock exhaust system

8JtHiE.jpg

Any questions ask away