Sign in to follow this  
Squadrone Rosso

Seen at Geneva yesterday. Toyota C-HR

I initially thought I wanted one as a daily, to replace my excellent Fiat Panda Cross.

663cab5a03aa4add4b1776855f25a66f.jpg

However, the engine & transmission choices are seriously flawed IMO & the price point is about £3k too high.

Why no manual 1.2 4WD with decent tyres?!?!

More of a fashion statement than a vehicle with any real purpose.

Now THAT's cool. When I grew up in the depths of Yorkshire, loads of people had the original Panda 4x4. Unbeatable for a cheap workhorse.

I quite like the Dacia Duster too. France is full of them - with good reason.

When it comes to vans/SUVs/4x4s I want something I'm happy filling full of muddy shoes and Bikes.

That said - my Berlingo is fine hacking through the alpine snow on skiing duty. Snow tyres trump 4 wheel drive for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Panda is on proper Alpine rated M & S four seasons Good Year Vector tyres.

Pretty much unphased by anything other than really slippery rocks.

Lockable 4WD, hill descent control, electronic diff locks, underbody protection & so on.

Winter pack gives you volcanic bum warmers, a proper heated screen & washer jets.

We had a Mk1 Panda 4x4 too. A pre - FIRE version.

Great car but chalk & cheese as the Cross is built extremely well & even standard kit is generous.

It's a tough, loveable honest little car that does everything really quite well :)

Well if I decide rear seats and economy are important again I may buy one of these though likely modellista version if it comes to the uk,  if I decide nah no kids no need for rear seats,  the ft1 supra is still a consideration.

But I do intend to keep the 86 as long as I can so...  Who knows,  but I do like the look of the chr

7 hours ago, JRot said:

though likely modellista version if it comes to the uk,  if I decide nah no kids no need for rear seats,

It won't, they never do. Ever seen a Modelista 86 on the road (or any Toyota Modelista for that matter)? ;) They are a JDM spec model, a bit like Mugen, TRD, Mazdaspeed etc. Aimed at the home market and can be spec'd via the dealers.

Roll on Jan 2nd.  At the dealers for a long test drive of both manual and hybrid versions of CH-R and Auris.  By the way, these are not being considered as a replacement for our GT86 !!  I'm not THAT bonkers!  An Auris might be considered as a fill-in until a CH-R with pano roof and a bigger engine comes along.

Today we extensively tested a hybrid and manual, back to back on same roads. Fortunately the dealer was closed apart from sales, so customers were almost non-existent, and we could play to our heart's content.

We both felt that the extra weight of the hybrid suited the car. The manual felt lighter and a little more skittish over a bumpy b road route. we also liked the consistent amount of acceleration provided by the hybrid. The manual was much more affected by the revs and gearing and whether the turbo was on song. The electric motor provided the same degree of acceleration when you floored it, no matter what the speed.

And in traffic - no contest.

The hybrid is an extra £2500 yes, but felt like the engineers tuned the suspension and dynamics for the heavier car. 

I never thought it, but we are going to go for a hybrid, for March delivery!!

I had the hybrid out for a test drive whilst the 86 was in the garage having the  coilpak replaced. I really liked it. Great looking car, especially the split colour. Fab cabin, with plenty of toys. Handling was nice and nautral and she seemed to stop well too. I did find the engine cutting in with very little pressure on the pedal when in traffic, which seemed a bit odd. When I got back to the dealers I got a hybrid priced up. With my added options it came to £31,500, which seems sonewhat expensive.

Well, my wife is getting on. The shock is, to replace her 86!!

She's gone for the New Limited Edition (100 made) Hybrid.

Her needs have changed as she regularly has the elderly or kids in tow. She's been using my Panda more & more but didn't want to swap cars.

That said, the 86 doesn't really work in my tight spaced work car park.

Hence, C-HR for her & even better, Abarth 500 Competizione with the 180 bhp performance pack in place of the Panda:D

a94aaefdc7cb06681310879e00289e9e.jpg

c69f7757d8dd0096b0e548e8d04065bb.jpg

3602e4b4598f2194929127a0000d5acd.jpg

Sensible replacements! Both great cars.

I really like the C-HR, both my younger brothers (25 and 23) who aren't car people always pick up on the C-HR when they see one. Definitely looks good, i might see if i can persaude the girlfriend to get one...

Sensible replacements! Both great cars.

I really like the C-HR, both my younger brothers (25 and 23) who aren't car people always pick up on the C-HR when they see one. Definitely looks good, i might see if i can persaude the girlfriend to get one...

I'll miss the GT86. It's a brilliant car when you're on it but it's not so good at the daily trudge, especially when you have to park in tight spaces & try to squeeze in & out.

I could have lived with that though but it's not my car.

I reckon the quality, usability & gadgets it in C-HR will make up for the lack of performance but I also see her nicking my forthcoming 595 at every given opportunity to get a performance fix.

When it's not your car, your choice and say is limited of course! 

I test drove a C-HR hybrid. I did like the electric stuff when you turn it on and well the engine doesn't. The instant torque when you accelerate for the first second is good, but I found it pretty slow and well not involving at all. I guess it's not my thing really, though I can see how it would appeal to others who do not place driving involvement and fun as prerequisite to owning a car. Liked it inside though. 

I get what Lauren is saying completely, and that is a considered opinion she offers.  

You just have to get used to the power delivery, or put it in sport mode, where the engine does not labour so much, and the auto changes happen quicker.  Sadly, it's not really aimed  at those who prize driver involvement and fun at the top of the list.  

Having said that, there are at least three former GT owners on the C-HR forum who, having had doubts about transferring from the GT to the C-HR, have found it to be a satisfying transition (they report).  I am lucky enough to be able to enjoy both.  

DSC07702%20-%20Copy%202_zpsd5ohbtve.jpg

The chassis development is clearly there on a B road, and the additional low down weight of the batteries helps on those tight corners.  The steering is great too.  And those primacy 3's really suit the car, and I have not been able to unstick them yet.  But then I might well be too frightened to be trying enough.

Recent club meet

DSC08157%202_zpsqdn5oj2s.jpg