Ade

Ade's Road and Track Toy

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Depends on the TDO, bookatrack will want a cage, javelin as Will pointed out, don't - unless the circuit does.

Yep, see what you mean. I used to work for Bookatrack of course. MSV don't allow it either. Javelin recommend it, so it comes down to whether you want to risk it, your life of course. I admit, I wouldn't get in a car on slicks without a roll cage. Last time I went in a car with slicks was with Anthony Reid in a GT86 CSV3. The experience was dominated by the grip. It was fast, which was impressive, but it wasn't much fun really. 

Thanks @will300

Lauren no offense but I had more fun as a passenger in Kevins car on DZ03s than yours on V105s. I also had a lot of fun with Jolyon Palmer in the GT86 CS-V3 racecar. 4 wheel drifting a car on slicks is a lot of FUN. I like grip :lol:

I agree if someone rolls up in a stock corsa (excuse the pun) on a fresh set of Pirelli soft slicks its a bad idea but a set of heat cycled, 50% used BTCC slicks on a well setup GT86 is a different matter IMO. Probably less grip than the DZ03s but alot cheaper too. 

I have yet to hear about a rolled FRS in the USA where tons of people use slicks and document it on the forums. 

Friend of mine checked with a couple TDO friends of his. They are fine with slicks and no cage as well. 

8 hours ago, Ade said:

Thanks @will300

Lauren no offense but I had more fun as a passenger in Kevins car on DZ03s than yours on V105s. I also had a lot of fun with Jolyon Palmer in the GT86 CS-V3 racecar. 4 wheel drifting a car on slicks is a lot of FUN. I like grip :lol:

Ade,  no offence taken. I went out in Kev's car on the DZ03's and hated it. Got chucked about in the car and it just seemed like some form of torture. Kev admitted it was different and not as much fun,  as the car just stuck, seemed to take the skill out of it for me. But, it might have been better had I been wearing a harness. I like grip, but not too much, was too much for me. 

Do bear in mind though it will other items such as bushes, balljoints more as the load is much greater. 

Interesting thoughts for sure and as Lauren says it is more beneficial with a harness on, the way I would describe it is just different. Super sticky tyres require another set of skills and approach. Having driven my car on lots of rubber now I will admit to being a bit bored of just sliding around on the edge of grip limits that a normal road tyre gives, hence the consideration to next years plans. 

However this is only my personal preferences and in no way dictate what others should do or like, how dull if we all liked the same :P I'm actually not a fan of passenger rides but would like to go out with Lauren [ if she'll have me ] on a track sometime as she is very good with car control and knows just where the edge is, and I'm sure would show me another side to 86 fun.

My main concern at the moment is all surge and temperature, this I intend to address for next year.

Fair points, Kev. I think it was more that I was being thrown around in the car added with my dislike for being a passenger made it hard work with how quickly the car could change direction. I was hoping for a smooth ride. ;)

But, yes, running sticky tyres is a whole other ball game and I admit, not one I've ever really been involved in. Yes, I've driven a Formula Renault on slicks for a lap and a half round Silverstone, as we ran out of time (a crying shame, that). But otherwise I've never had sticky tyres on my cars and the cars I raced in tintops were on road tyres, so it may be what I'm used to. 

Of course I'll take you out, going to be doing some trackdays over the winter, will let you know. :)

57 minutes ago, KevinA said:

Interesting thoughts for sure and as Lauren says it is more beneficial with a harness on, the way I would describe it is just different. Super sticky tyres require another set of skills and approach. Having driven my car on lots of rubber now I will admit to being a bit bored of just sliding around on the edge of grip limits that a normal road tyre gives, hence the consideration to next years plans. 

However this is only my personal preferences and in no way dictate what others should do or like, how dull if we all liked the same :P I'm actually not a fan of passenger rides but would like to go out with Lauren [ if she'll have me ] on a track sometime as she is very good with car control and knows just where the edge is, and I'm sure would show me another side to 86 fun.

My main concern at the moment is all surge and temperature, this I intend to address for next year.

Indeed everyone is different. I enjoy passenger rides but at the same time want to get out on track.

I just fancy trying a really grippy tyre as ive never tried them before and your DG03s were mighty impressive. It did make me chuckle that I was struggling not to sit on your lap on left handers 😂

Regarding oil most people are spinning bearings when they combine slicks and aero. Slicks alone seem to be okay as was evident by the tmg race car running 245 pirelli racing slick and not needing any oil mods. Once they added aero in 2016 they were getting oil surge and added a baffle plate. Just a bit of bent metal but seems to work. The Cosworth item for £150 is much more sophisticated with the rubber trap doors and this style is used in many race engines that dont require a dry sump setup.  Having said all that a good baffle plate gives you a bit more headroom but id alway recommend a pressure guage before changing any of the oil system. If I didnt have mine id have blown my engine after fitting the moroso junk.

Also just to mention my exhaust setup; Custom 70mm H&S cat back with Helmholtz, Custom 70mm decat Frontpipe with small silencer in place of the cat, 2.5" JDL overpipe and stock manifold, measured 82dB on monday at Bedford. 

15 minutes ago, sam534 said:

Nice! Enjoyed that. Was that TC fully off? Seemed to be snapping back quite hard.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks! It was with the 5 second button push, so ABS, EBD and E Diff still active. I wasn't trying to drift so was coming back due to my inputs, except for the spin :lol:

Thanks! It was with the 5 second button push, so ABS, EBD and E Diff still active. I wasn't trying to drift so was coming back due to my inputs, except for the spin 
Yeah fair enough. Spin was the best bit! Was 🤣

Nice! Just a tip, but try keeping at least one hand fixed on the steering wheel (two if you can) when you are applying opposite lock, you can then just give it a tiny smidge more to kick it straight again. It's not so good to let go of the wheel unless you are full on drifting which is clearly not what you were trying to do. 

Nice! Just a tip, but try keeping at least one hand fixed on the steering wheel (two if you can) when you are applying opposite lock, you can then just give it a tiny smidge more to kick it straight again. It's not so good to let go of the wheel unless you are full on drifting which is clearly not what you were trying to do. 
Was waiting for that comment! Haha. I guess that's a fair point. I only let go when my fat lags wouldnt allow me to apply any more lock but could still keep one hand on the wheel I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LOL! You knew I was going to say it. :P

It's only because if you keep your hands fixed (obviously they will only go so far and I admit,  release one hand and keep the other fixed for a bit more if I need it) it really helps you be a lot smoother. Try it next time, see how you get on. 

LOL! You knew I was going to say it. 
It's only because if you keep your hands fixed (obviously they will only go so far and I admit,  release one hand and keep the other fixed for a bit more if I need it) it really helps you be a lot smoother. Try it next time, see how you get on. 
The main reason I let go is force of habit really. I know it best to be in total control and I'll try to focus on not letting go but I'd rather control it by letting go than try to keep hold and struggle to get a quick enough reaction and thus spinning out and potentially spanking my car!

One things for sure you can go a fair bit quicker in the wet with tc switched off. Slightest rear end movement causes it to intervene and slow you down.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's so much more fun turning off the TC/Stability control so you can play properly. Learning how to balance the throttle is what it's all about. Glad you enjoyed it and yes breaking habits takes a bit of time, but it's all worth it when it comes to the art of driving quickly. :)

It’s taken me a few days to read through all this but what an informative and fun journey I’ve been on reading this Ade. Built yourself a great toy there and it’s nice to see improvements have been made to your driving skills as well as the cars talents. Can I ask what oil pressure gauge your using? Why did you swap the Moroso sump baffle for the cosworth version?

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

It’s taken me a few days to read through all this but what an informative and fun journey I’ve been on reading this Ade. Built yourself a great toy there and it’s nice to see improvements have been made to your driving skills as well as the cars talents. Can I ask what oil pressure gauge your using? Why did you swap the Moroso sump baffle for the cosworth version?

Thanks its been a fun journey. 

I have the Defi Racer Red oil pressure guage. 

I only have the moroso a week. It casued oil starvation simply by holding revs above 6krpm. Basically its a piece of junk IMO. 

Before and after that I just had the stock sump and made sure it was topped up before a trackday.  I fitted the cosworth item as it was cheap and had been tested on their dev car for two years prior to release.  One day I might run slick tyres....

Thanks its been a fun journey. 

I have the Defi Racer Red oil pressure guage. 

I only have the moroso a week. It casued oil starvation simply by holding revs above 6krpm. Basically its a piece of junk IMO. 

Before and after that I just had the stock sump and made sure it was topped up before a trackday.  I fitted the cosworth item as it was cheap and had been tested on their dev car for two years prior to release.  One day I might run slick tyres....
Ade, what oil pressures do you back off at at track days something like when it drops to 50psi at 6k?

Along those lines Are I have moved up a class and now running sticky rubber ( and a Cosworth Sump Baffle) and am shocked at the performance change, now with different suspension settings the game has certainly changed. I managed to find the edge at Kendrew but managed an overall win even against the turbo nutters ;) the 86 chassis is awesome, next year is turbo time so a new chapter begins.