Ade

Ade's Road and Track Toy

It states that tyres with asterisk can be removed from the list or others added, so this may  not be the final and definitive list.

Historically it tends to change in the new year, I can see one tyre listed that has been superseded by a new model in 2017 as an example.

28 minutes ago, Ade said:

Seems unfair that pilot sport cups 2s are on the a1 list if an oem fitment when though AD08R are not. Cup 2s are definitely closer to an all out semi slick.

I've not tried the AD08R but I can say that the Cup2's have no where near the grip of the 595RSR's and feel far more like a normal road tyre in comparison.

28 minutes ago, Ade said: Seems unfair that pilot sport cups 2s are on the a1 list if an oem fitment when though AD08R are not. Cup 2s are definitely closer to an all out semi slick.

I've not tried the AD08R but I can say that the Cup2's have no where near the grip of the 595RSR's and feel far more like a normal road tyre in comparison.

Hence my closer to a semi slick comment. They are faster than an ad08r in the dry.

Pretty sure they will be my next tyre.

9 hours ago, Ade said:

Hence my closer to a semi slick comment. They are faster than an ad08r in the dry.

I would say the cup2's are far closer to a road tyre than a semi slick is what I was saying.

I don't think I'd have them again as I've been disappointed in the grip compared to the RSR's. 

The main advantage the Cup2's have over the RSR's is wear - even after use this year they still have 5mm of tread left.

Cups 2's are only on the 1a list if you own a car that comes with them as standard, like a GT3 RS etc.

I know that, but hardly makes it fair if you are racing in a class against an RS and you cant fit them.

9 hours ago, Ade said:  

I would say the cup2's are far closer to a road tyre than a semi slick is what I was saying.

I don't think I'd have them again as I've been disappointed in the grip compared to the RSR's. 

The main advantage the Cup2's have over the RSR's is wear - even after use this year they still have 5mm of tread left.

My AD08Rs have been amazing for wear. After 4 trackdays they have tons left.

10 minutes ago, don said:

I really didn't have my coffee yesterday. But to clear it up, the information from the press release suggests the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S will be release in 19" & 20". After reading the comments it looks like they won't be looking to produce other sizes also.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-Press-Release.htm

Perfect for Porsches.....

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

I think if I was to go for a proper semi slick it would be AD048 or DZ03G but I fear for my engine with those. 

17 minutes ago, Ade said:

I think if I was to go for a proper semi slick it would be AD048 or DZ03G but I fear for my engine with those. 

Did somebody say Dry Sump? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Ade said:

I know that, but hardly makes it fair if you are racing in a class against an RS and you cant fit them.

I wonder how it stands for cars like the Leon cupra which can have the cup2's from the factory?

23 minutes ago, TTR said:

Did somebody say Dry Sump? :ph34r:

There are people in the states running slicks on the standard oiling to be fair! According to element tuning its only when you start running down force that the oiling becomes an issue.... 

Our cars suffer from fuel starvation on long, high G, left handers. Running intermittent fuel starvation creates very lean burn and blow torch effect.

The fuel starvation is made worse by 1. Tyres and 2. how much you drink, so FI or E85 makes it worse. I know of a chap with a Cosworth SC and was running Hosier A7s at the track and managed to blow a hole in one of his pistons due to fuel starvation. Presumably he thought it was the VSC kicking in or something as its quite noticeable when it happens! 

Took some time are the weekend to lift the car up and inspect, clean and protect the suspension components.

I was a bit worried about all the road salt that had accumulated so wanted to give it all a good wash and then a spray of WD40 to help protect it. 

Strut before (well I started to clean it around the bottom before remembering to take a pic):
20170212_124916_zpsshyybiie.jpg

after:
20170212_123254_zpsc8tbd8uc.jpg

They are as good as new after 6 trackdays and about 5k miles. Cleaned them with a strong mix of car shampoo and water, followed by a good soaking and wipedown of WD40 as per Ohlins instructions.

Brakes also got a good clean
20170212_123257_zpscgygc1yc.jpg

No discoloration after 6 track days and plenty of pads material left. In 2015 I went through 3 sets of pads in as much time!

The wheels got some special attention;
1) clean with billburry wash
2) Iron X
3) Clay
4) Wash again with billburry wash
5) protect - used some supaguard wheel protector I had from when the car was new. Seem okay. Time will tell. 
20170212_123304_zpsm9ahcpck.jpg

Also replaced the old TPI wheel nuts with some new ones. These are forged steel triple anodised.
20170212_123930_zpsphdd96uh.jpg

Triggers Broom

Time for new pads and discs. Discs are original AP racing 355x32mm and Pads I opted to try PFC Z rated after a few people had good results with them. 

37042924771_69952b7988_k.jpg

37831561746_6b85a0e879_k.jpg

37170265944_9abec42c99_k.jpg

The Cosworth streetmaster pads had seen better days but lasted okay. ~6 trackdays and probably enough for one more, which considering I was destroying a set of pads on 1 or 2 trackdays on stock brakes, I am happy with that. 

37831560696_fcd875bbce_k.jpg

37170271934_c9304d44e7_k.jpg

The grooves in the disc face were almost worn down.

37831852326_a226ea3564_k.jpg

37831563066_780e13bc5b_k.jpg

Ive very happy with the results. Pedal is super firm and bite is very good from cold. The real test, however, will be the next trackday. 

Cosworth Sump Plate/Baffle

I picked up a Cosworth sump plate baffle in part box bank holiday discounts. Its very nice piece with baffle plates that stick up into the engine to help reduce breather oil pickup. It has a total of 10 trap doors to ensure oil can return quickly to the sump but being very soft and flexible they close fast and seal nicely to stop oil pouring away from the pickup on long high G corners.

The plan eventually to run slick tyres.

Here some picture of the install:

36769140050_23f6037620_k.jpg

36995487692_1d8d8259bd_k.jpg

36769137890_5adca11fd8_k.jpg

36330583454_dd3409bdaf_k.jpg

37170265534_d036411a8f_k.jpg

24027626328_1e000f0ffb_k.jpg

37170253864_e0abf92c7b_k.jpg

37170253474_5fdbf6bfc2_k.jpg

1 hour ago, maurice said:

Did the sump come off fairly easily? I read somewhere it was almost glued with sealant from the factory.

Well mines been off before to fit the moroso junk baffle. Dave at fensport did it then but I dont recall it being a problem. They used wurth rtv which id have thought is similar to stock. This time it was easy anyway with the use of a flat head screw driver and a sharpie. The sump has a bent over lip so it is very strong around the edges.

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

Are you putting a roll cage in? TDO's won't let you run without if you want to use slicks. 

I didnt know that! Im sure ive seen cilos running slicks without a cage. 

I'll settle for DZ03s if I have too but im definitely not fitting a cage.

52 minutes ago, Ade said:

I didnt know that! Im sure ive seen cilos running slicks without a cage. 

I'll settle for DZ03s if I have too but im definitely not fitting a cage.

Well, they shouldn't be. Any decent TDO won't allow slicks without a cage for a reason of course. I know this of course from working for a TDO and policing this on the pitlane. 

From the Javelin website:

Can I run slick tyres ?

Yes, but they must be in good condition and the track conditions must be suitable. Before using slicks you should seriously consider whether your cars specification is suitable. It is strongly recommended that any car using slicks should have roll over protection fitted. Please note that some venues only allow road tyres.

http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackdays/index.php?route=faq/faq&faqcategory_id=8