Jason_E

The Tyre Thread

8 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

The front two tyres on my car when I bought it were the original Primacy's. I bought it at around 20k miles, and they both had around 4-4.5mm of tread left. Obviously the rears wore out quicker, and they had been replaced at least once when I bought the car.

Ah okay thanks :) i bought car with 14,995 on clock and i've done roughly 18-19k now. Going be checking the tyre treads this weekend to see how much meat it has left to see if i need change soon,since my plan now is to get new rims+tyres together in couple months time. 

Just now, kurosagi01 said:

Ah okay thanks :) i bought car with 14,995 on clock and i've done roughly 18-19k now. Going be checking the tyre treads this weekend to see how much meat it has left to see if i need change soon,since my plan now is to get new rims+tyres together in couple months time. 

That's exactly what I did, waited until the original tyres were advised on the MOT, then bought new wheels and tyres. 

3 hours ago, kurosagi01 said:

How many miles have most people got from their Primacy tyres on normal commute road and not on track? As i am not 100% sure if the tyres i have are new set when i bought the car or still same existing one on car..can't remember on top of my head if the sales rep told me if the tyres been replaced or not.

With my Primacy tyres, including a track day where I did a fair bit of drifting I managed 14K out of the rears and 25K out of the front. Obviously if you're just driving around on the road, you'll get more than that out of the rears than I did. 

The problem with the Vredesteins are you can't get those particular ones in our size...

I think the Kuhmo's are winning so far! If you compare them to the standard Primacys, they rate higher and of course they are cheaper! 

47 minutes ago, kurosagi01 said:

Has anyone tried the kumho ecsta le sport tyres?? I have also noticed i have now touched 20k mileage mark haha,though tyres still feel like they have plenty of grip still.

You mean the ones that half this thread is about?

24 minutes ago, knightryder said:

You mean the ones that half this thread is about?

oh?? Haha i didn't realise since everyone was saying KU39 and didn't realise it was same tyres until i checked again, my bad. :P 

Over the past couple of days I noticed the rear end being a bit "happier" than normal.

Checked the tread at the back on my ContiSport 5's and they're pretty worn.

I think I'll get the wheels rotated and finish them off at Donington on 31st.

In 2 minds whether to try the Advan v105's next or stay with the Conti's, wondering which I'll get more wear out of.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Over the past couple of days I noticed the rear end being a bit "happier" than normal.

Checked the tread at the back on my ContiSport 5's and they're pretty worn.

I think I'll get the wheels rotated and finish them off at Donington on 31st.

In 2 minds whether to try the Advan v105's next or stay with the Conti's, wondering which I'll get more wear out of.

I noticed that with my car too, turns out my left rear was completely effed :lol:

39 minutes ago, Subota Boy said:

Interested to know, does a 225/45 not work as well as a 215/45 on the standard rim?  Any advice/opinion appreciated.

It'll be a bit 'floppy'. Probably good for comfort but not for performance.

Had my Advans on for just over 10k miles now. Around 4mm left all round (marginally less at the rear than front). Very pleased with the wear rate, seems I'm easy on the tyres. ;)

What knightryder said. 215 vs a 7" rim is more or less a straight up tyre wall. My last car had 8" rims with 225 tyres by default. That was a very mild stretch to look at, and some people fitted 235 and 245 tyres too. To be honest, it's not at all guaranteed that a wider profile will improve grip (at least while cornering).

215 is ideal for 7J and 7.5J, 225 for 8J and 8.5J and 245 shouldn't really be used on anything below a 9J wheel imo. You can get away with 245 on an 8.5J wheel without issue, but I would rather take a small stretch and therefore a slightly stiffer sidewall. Although this comes down to the specific tyre, as some are naturally wider than others.

Less flex in the sidewall = more accurate translation of driver input to the road. For this reason, it's not always advantageous to go for a wider tyre, just for the sake of having a wider tyre. It's almost always better to go narrower if the size is better suited to the width of the wheel.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Had my Advans on for just over 10k miles now. Around 4mm left all round (marginally less at the rear than front). Very pleased with the wear rate, seems I'm easy on the tyres. ;)

Ordered a set to go onto the car 1st November.

Day after Donington.

Smoke 'em if you got em! I'll drive like a nun 'til then.