Jason_E

The Tyre Thread

Evening all,

Given the amount of mixed reviews online, and general chatter about "What tyre" is the one to go for... I thought I'd start a thread. (I did a search but didn't find anything). It's an especially hot topic on our cars. Some people want outright grip, others want a slippy car! Personally I want somewhere in between, and I think the standard tyres are a bit too on edge in the wet. 

I'm looking to replace the Michelins with something a bit better. I've previously ran Goodyear Eagle F1's on a Golf GTI, and they were fantastic! Not sure how they'd suit the GT86 though? Another well priced option is Kumho KU39, which MX5 owners seem to rave. Since its a similar car (Small, lightweight and RWD) maybe thats the route to go?

Will be interested to hear your thoughts, and give me your advice and experience.

Cheers.

Mate I work for oak tyres and I wouldn't bother going out and paying just on 100 quid for one tyre if I were you look at the budget tyres, there's one a lot of garages use and I have them on my car and there just as good as any premium brand, there called davanti I manged to get 4 for the price of one Conti

26 minutes ago, shaunharper13 said:

Mate I work for oak tyres and I wouldn't bother going out and paying just on 100 quid for one tyre if I were you look at the budget tyres, there's one a lot of garages use and I have them on my car and there just as good as any premium brand, there called davanti I manged to get 4 for the price of one Conti

this is terrible advice, budget tyres can be downright dangerous in certain conditions. I previously had an MG ZT that came with budget tyres on them and one day when the ground was wet I was on a roundabout and was cut up by some twat which required me to quickly steer away from him, it was only a minor flick yet it sent me spinning around in a fwd car and this was very low speed no more than 20mph

3 minutes ago, Tareim said:

this is terrible advice, budget tyres can be downright dangerous in certain conditions. I previously had an MG ZT that came with budget tyres on them and one day when the ground was wet I was on a roundabout and was cut up by some twat which required me to quickly steer away from him, it was only a minor flick yet it sent me spinning around in a fwd car and this was very low speed no more than 20mph

I wouldn't go near budgets. I want a bit more grip than the Michelins. There's a huge thread about "Divanti" tyres on PistonHeads, the general consensus is that they're the best of budgets.... which isn't what I'm looking for. 

3 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Yeah, but the problem is I find continentals are shite and expensive. The Goodyears still score good! Ideally we want something with a softer sidewall.

Well, I can give some insight on the Vredesteins, which came out middle of the pack in that test. 

As shown in the test, dry grip is great, and I can confirm that. They feel great in the dry. I have to really try to get the back end out. 

Wet grip is nowhere near as bad as the tests show either. I had Uniroyal Rainsports for a while on my other car, and they were basically the opposite of these. They were meant for wet roads, but were still decent in the dry, and I would say the same for the Vredesteins (just obviously switch dry with wet).

Where they have always impressed me however is how quiet they are, and their durability. In excess of 20k miles for the rear tyres on the Porsche, which is similar to the Bridgestone Potenza's it came with, except unlike the Bridgestones, they actually grip.

Price wise, they came in about £100 cheaper than Conti's/Pilot Sport 3's for 225/40/18, so I imagine a similar saving at 17" too.

2 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Well, I can give some insight on the Vredesteins, which came out middle of the pack in that test. 

As shown in the test, dry grip is great, and I can confirm that. They feel great in the dry. I have to really try to get the back end out. 

Wet grip is nowhere near as bad as the tests show either. I had Uniroyal Rainsports for a while on my other car, and they were basically the opposite of these. They were meant for wet roads, but were still decent in the dry, and I would say the same for the Vredesteins (just obviously switch dry with wet).

Where they have always impressed me however is how quiet they are, and their durability. In excess of 20k miles for the rear tyres on the Porsche, which is similar to the Bridgestone Potenza's it came with, except unlike the Bridgestones, they actually grip.

Price wise, they came in about £100 cheaper than Conti's/Pilot Sport 3's for 225/40/18, so I imagine a similar saving at 17" too.

Thanks dude, appreciate it :)

Contisport Contact 5's are a good road tyre. Really good grip in the wet and when accelerating. They don't seem to hold the lateral G that a Yoko V105 will, but are nicely progressive. I've not tried the Conti's on track but I'm going to take them off before the TSS. 

I prefer the Yoko V105 as they seem to hold up well on track and are a good all round on the road. 

Goodyear F1's are good for the road, but not so hot on track, sidewalls are too soft IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Contisport Contact 5's are a good road tyre. Really good grip in the wet and when accelerating. They don't seem to hold the lateral G that a Yoko V105 will, but are nicely progressive. I've not tried the Conti's on track but I'm going to take them off before the TSS. 

I prefer the Yoko V105 as they seem to hold up well on track and are a good all round on the road. 

Goodyear F1's are good for the road, but not so hot on track, sidewalls are too soft IMO. 

Sound advice Lauren Cheers. I found the Eagle F1's on my Golf did overheat a bit on track, luckily brakes cooked before it was too noticable though lol!

Probably won't be doing too many track days in mine so they're still a maybe, probably have a couple of months left on the tread of the Primacys before I have to change.

Lauren, how do you rate the V105s vs the Primacy in the wet? I'm torn between V105 and CS5s when the Mitcheins die and obviously something that I don't have to tip toe in the wet (especially heavy rain) would be nice. The CS5s come up better in wet tests but I'm not that fussed about all out performance in the wet.

Far better than the Primacy in all honesty. They eat the Primacy alive in all conditions really. There's not that much to choose from comparing the V105's to the C5's in the wet really. The C5's seem to grip better off the line, so under acceleration, but not quite as hot as the V105's when it comes to absolute grip, but the C5's are progressive. If you are thinking of TSS, go V105. 

I've ran those Kumhos on a number of cars and rate them very highly. As good as the more expensive names. Have alternated between them and Yokohamas for a number of years depending on the deal at the time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Test Drives Unlimited said:

I will be ordering my second set of Kumho KU39's very soon,as I can't fault them in the Dry or Wet emoji106.png

By the time I change them I won't be far off 19k for all four tires emoji41.png

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

They look interesting: TyreReviews.co.uk - okay reviews from FWD users and pretty good from most RWD.

Cheap as chips too.

I do find them good. 'Predictable' is probably the best description. I'd put them on a par with the usual European brands. That said though, occasionally I've found I can get the Yokohamas cheaper.

Another mid range tyre that punches above its weight is Uniroyal. Their Rainsport is very good...

I no longer bother with the obvious brands. I don't find an advantage (had a company BMW shod with all the usual top brand suspects for several years) I would say that Michelin Pilot Sports are superb, but whether worth the extra? Not sure...

I'm not sure if anyone has used this site, but it's a good source for gathering reviews from a wider audience. Reading these ratings was a big reason why I initially tried the Vredesteins on a previous car, might be an informative read for some people.

I'll link the results of the main tyres mentioned in this thread, in order of review score (best to worst according to this site):

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Vorti.htm

Yoko V105 - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-Sport-V105.htm

Goodyear Eagle F1 - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric.htm

Kumho KU39 - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-KU39.htm

ContiSport 5 - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Sport-Contact-5.htm

I think that's down to the price gap. Most of the tyres above are between £70-80, the PSS are another £40-50 on top of that. Are they really 60% better tyres to justify that cost?

On personal experience no. They are really good - and the wear rate offsets some of that cost (I wasn't paying!) but it's marginal, certainly compared to the difference between tyres in that £70-80 range and budget options beneath that which can be truly horrible!

How many miles have most people got from their Primacy tyres on normal commute road and not on track? As i am not 100% sure if the tyres i have are new set when i bought the car or still same existing one on car..can't remember on top of my head if the sales rep told me if the tyres been replaced or not.

The front two tyres on my car when I bought it were the original Primacy's. I bought it at around 20k miles, and they both had around 4-4.5mm of tread left. Obviously the rears wore out quicker, and they had been replaced at least once when I bought the car.