DanJ

Dan J's BRZ

Hi everyone,

After slowly formulating my plans for the car things are finally in motion so I'm pleased as punch to start this thread, looking forward to updating you all with the progress :) pics to follow soon once I give her a much needed clean!

Fitted Modifcations

Centre console armrest

OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 ET48 currently with 225/45 Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are still remarkably good in the cold

Spacesaver rear wheel

Modifications Coming Soon

F+R Brembo calipers (obtained from a scrapper 2010 Impreza WRX, currently being refurbed, fingers crossed they arrive back in time for the Bedford trackday at the end of the month)

F+R DBA Discs + Stoptech Pads

Braided brake line kit

Laile Beatrush Master Cylinder brace

HKS Hypermax Coilovers (bought second-hand, set of 60N/mm rear springs to be acquired but will try the standard 40N/mm springs first)

Eibach adjustable RLCAs

M-Factory 4.67 Final Drive

Harrop Supercharger Kit

Future Plans

TBC Manifold + Zircotec ceramic coating

TBC Exhaust 

TRD Style Duckbill Rear Spoiler + debadge of boot lid

Toms Rear Lights

Self-designed steering column extension (I've got long legs and short arms, like the steering wheel close but there just isn't enough adjustment to get the right combo for both legs and arms!)

...........(I'm sure it won't stop there!)

Cheers,

Dan.

Edited by DanJ
Change content of "coming soon" mods

@DanJ I don't think the front Brembo's will fit?

The front hubs match Impreza's up to 2007 and the rear is 2008+

Have you checked to see if they fit? Or had new brackets made?

You've got me worried now! From the web ferreting I did beforehand I was sure Fronts up to 2012 and Rears 2008 on fit without brackets.

Will find out if I'm cursing myself for not trial fitting before sending them out for refurb, I'll just mill up some brackets at work if I'm wrong though.

I am also having the bleed nipples swapped as part of the refurb, that one I've definitely got right!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sounds good. I'd just put the 6kg springs on straightaway, it's too soft on the rear end I thought when I drove Maz's car. 

Just need to pull my finger out and sort it! That spring rate increase is thankfully inside the +/-20% range recommended for the adjustable damping without revalving.

It'll be fine on the road I'm sure but maybe a little underdamped on track, but given my current ratio of road:track miles is about 99.5:0.5 I think I'll live with that!

2 hours ago, DanJ said:

You've got me worried now! From the web ferreting I did beforehand I was sure Fronts up to 2012 and Rears 2008 on fit without brackets.

Will find out if I'm cursing myself for not trial fitting before sending them out for refurb, I'll just mill up some brackets at work if I'm wrong though.

I am also having the bleed nipples swapped as part of the refurb, that one I've definitely got right!

Hey Dan,

Sorry mate, but I'm almost certain the fronts are up to 07...

Feel free to prove me wrong and I hope you do! But it's what I researched when I got my AP Racing's on the front and then the Brembo from the 08+ on the rear

9 hours ago, DanJ said:

Just need to pull my finger out and sort it! That spring rate increase is thankfully inside the +/-20% range recommended for the adjustable damping without revalving.

It'll be fine on the road I'm sure but maybe a little underdamped on track, but given my current ratio of road:track miles is about 99.5:0.5 I think I'll live with that!

I'd be concerned about gonig 50% firmer in the rear without increasing the damping. That will be massively underdampted.

I found them a bit bouncy as they were....

I'd check with HKS what sort of range they recommend. I know Ohlins dont recomment going more than +-25% either side fo the standard 60N/mm rates on the valving they are supplied with.

9 hours ago, DanJ said: Just need to pull my finger out and sort it! That spring rate increase is thankfully inside the +/-20% range recommended for the adjustable damping without revalving.

I'd be concerned about gonig 50% firmer in the rear without increasing the damping. That will be massively underdampted.

I found them a bit bouncy as they were....

I'd check with HKS what sort of range they recommend. I know Ohlins dont recomment going more than +-25% either side fo the standard 60N/mm rates on the valving they are supplied with.

Good point, that was an epic maths fail on my part (it was early this morning!), I've already checked and the HKS recommendation is +/-20%

2 hours ago, DanJ said: You've got me worried now! From the web ferreting I did beforehand I was sure Fronts up to 2012 and Rears 2008 on fit without brackets.

Hey Dan,

Sorry mate, but I'm almost certain the fronts are up to 07...

Feel free to prove me wrong and I hope you do! But it's what I researched when I got my AP Racing's on the front and then the Brembo from the 08+ on the rear

What do you think is different?

I'm sure the refurb place will have plenty of other Brembos in so I can ask them to take some measurements and either make me happy or pissed off with myself for not trial fitting!

I also see you have the Cosworth SC in your future plans. Are you coming to Bedford on the 29th Feb?

Yes I'll be at Bedford on the 29th, I'd be very interested in a passenger ride in yours to confirm my thoughts before parting with the hard earned cash!

There's plenty of kits out there that make more top end power for less money, but its all about area under the curve for me, as well as that it's a properly engineered product.

Eventually I'll end up sourcing a second hand engine and upgrading rods etc to go to a smaller pulley (can't afford the downtime on a daily driver), but that's a good year away at least!

1 hour ago, DanJ said:

What do you think is different?

I'm sure the refurb place will have plenty of other Brembos in so I can ask them to take some measurements and either make me happy or pissed off with myself for not trial fitting!

The fitment on the brackets is different so they won't bolt onto the hub

I might be wrong, but I'm 95% sure it's up to 07 before they changed it

1 hour ago, DanJ said: What do you think is different?

The fitment on the brackets is different so they won't bolt onto the hub

I might be wrong, but I'm 95% sure it's up to 07 before they changed it

I'll let you know when I find out for definite.

Phew, I've just been sent some pics of my calipers next to ones from a 2004 Scoob they also have in for refurb......they're identical.

7 minutes ago, DanJ said:

Phew, I've just been sent some pics of my calipers next to ones from a 2004 Sccob they also have in for refurb......they're identical.

Not on about the calipers bud, it's the mounting brackets you need to make sure will fit

That's what I meant, the mounting lugs on the calipers are identical spacing and location, I'll post up some of the pics later when I'm not on my phone with a rubbish connection.

I'm glad you're wrong, but only because if you were right then the arrival of more power would've been delayed!

yeah the front Brembos from any year should fit fine, its the old gold rear callipers that don't fit. You need the 07/08+ rear sti caliper like Jordan has to bolt straight on without and adapter bracket.

I had a voucher from their Black Friday sale, waited sending them in because of the backlog from that, they'll have had them two weeks at the end of this week.

I'm planning to fit the SC and brakes over the last weekend in March, so I'm not fussed if they take another 4weeks to get them back to me.

How long have they had yours for?