MangoNo5

Start Button Ignition bling

Hi All,

I have acquired some red aluminium a/c control covers and the same finish to replace the polished chrome ring around the push start button. My question is what is the best way to get at push start ring to remove and replace it?

Thanks in advance

No idea but I have a feeling that you'd want to remove the complete bottom panel (the one with the push START, little pocket and USB port) on to make it easier to remove the push START button to swap it or the chrome ring out (no idea how easy removing the chrome ring will be though as I've never seen anyone do it before).  Last time I tried to remove this lower panel I failed miserably but I've heard a few people on here remove theirs before so hopefully someone will pop one with a better description however I have this illustration that might help:

56a5426985439_PushStartPanel.jpg.0b8136c

This was taken out of the JBL installation manual that can be found here: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/ along with various other manuals that might be handy.

Big screwdriver behind the side trim from the foot well, locate it (the pocket) all and push the pocket out, one side at a time. Removing the padded side trim will help, Can't remember for definite but think it just pulls out.. I'd check that though, but it was easy either way when I did it. no need to remove the stereo. 

7 hours ago, rob275 said:

Looks pretty smart that, are blue ones available?

Hi Rob,

I got these via Ali Express, typically they now have none in stock but have pointed to another supplier the AC controls but no push button start ring:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Racing-New-Car-Styling-EPR-For-Subaru-Toyota-BRZ-FT86-GT86-Blue-Style-3PCS-Polished-Air/32515291579.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.260.ibYbmu&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201644_1_10001_10002_10005_10006_10003_10004_62,searchweb201560_1,searchweb1451318400_6151,searchweb1451318411_6449&btsid=c208f9d7-c6a0-4fdf-8389-3ea286778e71

it would of looked like this:

Toyota-FT86-GT86-font-b-subaru-b-font-BR

6 hours ago, Furnate said:

Those are nice, I'd like some in gunmetal, do you have a source for them?

No gunmetal unfortunately, maybe elsewhere.

I will keep a look out guys.

Update: I have sent a direct mail to the manufacturer for an update for more stock or a group buy that may interest him and some of us.

On 27 January 2016 at 0:48 AM, Keethos said:

Nice, wonder if they'll do a yellow colouremoji14.png how did you removed the old knobs and ring around the push start then?

No Yellow I'm afraid. As for the install, on closer inspection the machined knobs just pooped over the OEM ones, so they were done in matter of seconds. For the Push start, after pulling out the bottom console I unplugged the push start and took a look at the chrome ring. It was held be three clips and was made of plastic, easily pulled off and the other ring put in its place with double sided 3M tape provided.

1 hour ago, nikndel said:

Red naturally 😀

Excellent choice sir! 😊 Well I have had a badly worded response from the manufacturer and he is willing to produce more in requested colours.

you can find him on Aliexpress:- MCE store

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, nikndel said: Red naturally

Excellent choice sir! Well I have had a badly worded response from the manufacturer and he is willing to produce more in requested colours.

you can find him on Aliexpress:- MCE store

image.jpeg.5a5a3dba8ff91707a837603f9016060b.jpeg

Group buy for all this in red, how much?

Red is cool, though I couldn't have a red ring around my TRD (red) starter button. Wonder if the red would clash with the orange dash lighting? Otherwise red heater controls (providing they don't clash) would be good.