S18 RSG

Ross' TD Turbo Daily

I'm

10 minutes ago, DanJ said:

Mines supercharged with similar power to the TD turbo kit and 225s on 8" rims are absolutely fine for me. You have to be really aggressive with either steering, throttle or both to get the rear to break loose in the dry.

It's also worth bearing in mind that as tyres get wider the shape of the contact patch changes and while they may have more ultimate grip, they are much less progressive as they lose grip over the top of the traction vs slip curve.

I'm not having enormous problems getting loose on my 255's in N/A guise. I must be doing something wrong :lol:

12 minutes ago, rob275 said: @S18 RSG I prefer the lesser sidewall flex from a 225 on the 9" 235 gave too much for my liking and it felt over gripped. It'd take too long for it to step out. Maybe i could have got used to it i don't know.

10 minutes ago, DanJ said: Mines supercharged with similar power to the TD turbo kit and 225s on 8" rims are absolutely fine for me. You have to be really aggressive with either steering, throttle or both to get the rear to break loose in the dry.

Hmm, ok. Seems like a similar situation to that of Lauren's, and why she's stuck with a narrower tyre.

What's worth mentioning though Dan, is that there is a difference in power delivery between yours/Rob's setups compared to mine. While the TD kit is, to my mind, a very smooth power delivery for a turbo, there's no getting away from the fact that there is a distinct "on" position for boost, whereas yours are both building boost from much lower in the rev range.

I think Mark agreed with me when I last spoke to him too, that the throttle on the TD map is very sensitive. Seems like 80% of the power comes on with the first 30-40% of the throttle, so even the slightest movement of your right toe can get the tyres spinning.

If I drive it like a sensible person, I absolutely agree that 225's are fine. It's only when I get on it and go for a spirited drive that I start to lose a bit of confidence, which I feel would have to be helped by a little more grip.

Maybe worth asking Mike for one of the maps to have a softer throttle map with more progression and see if that helps before deciding which tyre width to go for?

6 minutes ago, TTR said:

I'm

I'm not having enormous problems getting loose on my 255's in N/A guise. I must be doing something wrong :lol:

Could be that you're struggling to get decent tyre temps with such a wide tyre, driving style related or a good bit of both!

Just take it on track as is, Ross. Get your confidence back. Or as other's have said have the throttle sensitivity adjusted. I had to re-calibrate my right foot to increase my foot's sensitivity after the remap, but now I've done that, it's fine. Sounds like to me you haven't really had a proper play with it yet. I'd say wait before going and changing things. It may not be what you want in the longer term. 

1 minute ago, DanJ said:

Could be that you're struggling to get decent tyre temps with such a wide tyre, driving style related or a good bit of both!

I'd consider myself pretty smooth when driving hard (presumably get this from Karting where we barely move the steering wheel) which could be leading to the tyres not heating up.... Maybe not a bad thing as I do love a good bit of sideways :D

17 minutes ago, TTR said:

I'm

It's 'coz you drive like a hooligan.

11 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Just take it on track as is, Ross. Get your confidence back. Or as other's have said have the throttle sensitivity adjusted. I had to re-calibrate my right foot to increase my foot's sensitivity after the remap, but now I've done that, it's fine. Sounds like to me you haven't really had a proper play with it yet. I'd say wait before going and changing things. It may not be what you want in the longer term. 

Well I haven't had a proper play yet anyway, for multiple reasons. Weather, needing new brakes (Mike advised me to change them within a couple of thousand miles), and tyres being close to needing replacement (maybe 3mm left, which no doubt isn't helping the grip). But as I know I need new tyres soon anyway, I figured it was best to go for something that'll take the power well, rather than just assuming it's down to the weather or w/e.

Throttle sensitivity might be something I'll chat to Mike about, but it's something I've gotten used to.

Ross, next time you're up this way, let me know and we'll go out for a quick blast. With regards to the throttle I've always found it a little "playful"  when pulling  off even before the Turbo and have found a work around for it which works for me (it's a bit of foot dancing), I would love it to be a bit smoother and think driving a crappy fiat van around all week doesn't help.

I agree with @DanJ about getting heat into the tyres and if I didnt like my rims so damned much I would be on OZ ultraleggeras 18x8 225s as well. 

Having said that, the TMG cup cars run 245 Pirelli slicks on 17x8 OZ Ultraleggera's! It all depends of the stiffness of the sidewall. Yokohama recommend a 7.5J rim for 225/45 AD08Rs.....

@S18 RSG @Mark-in-Stoke why dont you ask TD to tweak the throttle map to your tastes guys? I prefer a softer throttle map for track. With 280hp I have no issue kicking the back out mid corner and the smoother throttle really helps feed the throttle in as you straighten the car out.

I find I like a soft map for track and a more aggressive one for the road.  

Mike has included in my map 3 a dulled down throttle response which makes it a lot less on and off so it is do able, but I'm trying to train myself and get used to a more sensitive throttle to better ones heavy foot :P

It seems all the rage to have a more aggressive throttle map as it mimics better throttle response however you lose actual pedal resolution. As Ade said, if it doesn't suit then get it changed... that's what the tuners are paid to do, get the car how you want it. I spent plenty of time getting my throttle how I like, even in my more aggressive map it's still soft off the idle position and then gets ramped up otherwise it's jerky and makes the car feel crap. Its all to do with how the ECUtek and actual throttle maps integrate together.

I would imagine that the pedal multiplier for those map modes has just been flatly increased, it tends to cause this problem.

This will be no news to those of you who I have added on Facebook, but for those of you who don't know, the GT86 is now sold.

It's rather bittersweet, as I have really enjoyed my 2 years 3 months with the car, but alas, changes in lifestyle forced my hand.

Given the amount of money spent on the car, I couldn't see myself selling for a long time, and despite always looking around on Auto Trader and considering various options, none were every really realistic. However, in May I left my job all of a sudden. Got paid for 3 months of remote support, and started looking for a new permanent role. Fortunately, I was offered a management position within Heineken, who had been a previous customer of mine during my contracting days. This resulted in an almost immediate 100% increase in wages, and a 1500% increase in daily commute (up to nearly 70 miles a day).

As compliant as the GT86 was as a daily driver, it started becoming less enjoyable for this commute. Main reason for this, is that my daily commute is all single carriageway country roads, crawling in tractors and lorries. The GT86, even with the turbo, just wasn't enjoyable on this drive. When sat in traffic driving slow, it was loud and fairly uncomfortable, and when an opportunity to overtake came about, the ultimate lack of immediate torque was also a bummer (obviously, being in lower gears is the answer, but I didn't want to drive around in 3rd all day waiting for a chance to overtake).

Anyway, in summary, my search for a new car lasted around 6 weeks. I initially wanted a BMW M3/M4 (F series), but after driving one and scaring myself, and also realising just how enormous those cars are, I moved on. I then started considering another hot hatch, specifically an Audi RS3, Mercedes A45 or Focus RS. The RS3 holds its value far too well for that to be a true consideration. The A45 was nice, but really hard to find the correct spec. The RS, initially, looked perfect, I actually bought one (well, put a deposit down and signed finance documents etc.), but after driving one on an extended test drive, I found it to be extremely underwhelming. Barely faster than the GT86, a worse gearbox, very boring interior and still equally uncomfortable. I therefore asked for a refund on the deposit and looked elsewhere.

Going back to BMWs, I started considering the M2. It looked to be the right size, was tunable to M3/M4 pace, and looked great. I went to look at a delivery miles car in Warrington, and a lovely car it was too. The dealership in question stocked many BMWs, and another that caught my eye was an M235i. After driving both, I really couldn't see where the extra £20k went on the M2. Sure, the interior was a little nicer, car was a little quicker and obviously looks amazing in comparison, but none of those factors were even close to bridging the £20k gap.

So, I bought the M235i, and here she is (bonus pic of our T5 camper, and my dog also):

DHnRfeRXUAYbxp7.thumb.jpg.164b60fce7eea306366907157a5a71aa.jpg

It's a 2014 car with ~20,000 miles. A ZF 8 speed gearbox (perfect for my daily drive, and surprisingly fun), Professional media package, heated memory seats, automatic everything, DAB, adaptive dampers, M Performance brake upgrade, adaptive LED headlights, basically everything. The only options not ticked were the winter pack (heated steering wheel), sunroof and tinted windows.

It's by no means as playful as the GT86 was, but certainly faster (makes the Focus RS I drove feel very sluggish and old fashioned to be honest), still a very fun drive, especially with the adaptive dampers in sport mode, and when not, a very comfortable, quiet, seamless car. It's truly got 2 personalities, and I couldn't be happier.

As far as future plans with the car, and myself. Well, I certainly plan on still attending as many social meets as possible. I've made some great friends from this website, and I will not abandon that just for a change of car. In terms of the car, well for now the plans are to just enjoy it. I've already ordered some minor upgrades (a new panel filter and some M performance gloss black front grills), and plan to get a Kerscher front lip, M performance carbon rear spoiler, carbon/chrome tailpipe replacements, and some new tyres (Pilot Sport 4s, of course) to replace the current run flat Bridgestones.

After Christmas I may start considering tuning, but will likely only go as far as a JB4/intake/exhaust. I may also consider the H&R springs once I've tried my buddies', but then I'll probably stop and just enjoy the dual personalities of the car.

Sorry for the wall of text, if you've read it, I appreciate you. Thanks for the fun times over the past few years, and I look forward to seeing some of you again in the future, just with a slightly different key in my pocket :)

Ross

On 03/12/2016 at 7:48 PM, S18 RSG said:

Well, it's saturday, so I guess it's time for that update.

Most of you will already know, my car has been with @Mike@TD.co.uk for the past week having a turbo installed. I went for the stage 1 kit with a UEL manifold, as well as a fresh MoT, service, alignment and a few other little things.

Admittedly, I only have around 4 hours in the car so far (driving from Manchester to Chester, then down to South Wales) but on initial impressions I am hugely impressed. The car made 272hp and 231lb/ft or torque FYI. 

We all know the headlines and major advantages of forced induction, but there are a few things that stood out for me.

Firstly, I managed 35mpg on my drive home, including 30 minutes of stop start traffic and plenty of accelerations to get used to the extra power. I would have to assume I would have got less on the stock car if I had driven like that.

Secondly, the car is so quiet! I have no cats currently (will likely change soon) and a non-resonated exhaust, and the car is almost silent on tick over, and when cruising. That's not to say that it doesn't make some noise however. The screamer pipe is massively loud, as is the flutter on lift off, sounds insane. I'll get a video made soon, so you can all hear it as I'm sure plenty are looking forward to.

Finally, the ease in which I can now drive the car is incredible. Even in 6th gear on the motorway, stuck in traffic, there is never any need to drop a gear. There is a truck load of torque from the moment the turbo starts to spool. It's by far my favourite change dynamically.

I would like to give a massive thanks to Mike, not only for the turbo install, but all the little things too. The car was far more enjoyable to drive on the way back thanks to his work on my suspension setup and alignment, he also fixed my front splitter and it seems he fitted my bumper properly, as it was poorly aligned.

i would 100% recommend Mike and this package to anyone looking to go FI, and am looking forward to having more work done in the future.

Pictures etc. will follow, was pitch black when I got home.

That's 272 crank/fly wheel right?

Glad you found a good replacement for the 86. I actually had a similar impression of the M4 to yours.

My commute is also country roads, but only 5 miles of it and no traffic - so the 86 is perfect!

Will you be tracking the 235i?

Gotta say after having the M4 for 6 days, it was a pretty big car and didn't feel worth £60k. It was nice, but that was it. Also I felt like the car was really snappy unless you bad the TC off, which wasn't good for tyres :lol:

235i is a great choice man. I've heard they're absolutely brilliant with an LSD too. Looking forward to see how it looks like post modification. Good to bear you're still sticking around for meets too :)

5 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Glad you found a good replacement for the 86. I actually had a similar impression of the M4 to yours.

My commute is also country roads, but only 5 miles of it and no traffic - so the 86 is perfect!

Will you be tracking the 235i?

Thanks mate. I had a similar 5 mile journey, so the 86 was great for me too. 300+ miles a week just wasn't fun :(

I'm sure the BM will see a track at some point, certainly needs some decent tyres first of all, and probably some different pads as I've heard the stock pads don't last too well on track.

LSD would certainly be needed too, if I ever wanted to track it seriously.

3 hours ago, TTR said:

Gotta say after having the M4 for 6 days, it was a pretty big car and didn't feel worth £60k. It was nice, but that was it. Also I felt like the car was really snappy unless you bad the TC off, which wasn't good for tyres :lol:

235i is a great choice man. I've heard they're absolutely brilliant with an LSD too. Looking forward to see how it looks like post modification. Good to bear you're still sticking around for meets too :)

Yep, couldn't agree more. Even at nearly £40k, I didn't feel it was worth it. At £25-30k maybe, but still a massive car, and the relative lack of grip compared to the power and torque made it very skittish I thought.

To be honest, the interior is basically EXACTLY the same, whether my car or a full M car. Only real, tangible difference are the seats, and frankly, the standard M sport seats are some of the best stock seats I've used anyway.

I can't say I've needed an LSD so far. It has a torque vectoring rear diff, so at least for fast road driving it's still very composed. I've no doubt it would miss a proper LSD on track, but that's probably some time away yet.

5 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

Yep, couldn't agree more. Even at nearly £40k, I didn't feel it was worth it. At £25-30k maybe, but still a massive car, and the relative lack of grip compared to the power and torque made it very skittish I thought.

To be honest, the interior is basically EXACTLY the same, whether my car or a full M car. Only real, tangible difference are the seats, and frankly, the standard M sport seats are some of the best stock seats I've used anyway.

I can't say I've needed an LSD so far. It has a torque vectoring rear diff, so at least for fast road driving it's still very composed. I've no doubt it would miss a proper LSD on track, but that's probably some time away yet.

Exactly this. The M4 is so much more expensive than a turbo/supercharged 86, and as far as the driving experience goes, all you are gaining is straight line speed. Losing a lot of steering feel, lightness, and the playfulness. It doesn't seem worth it to me. 

Not that I've driven an M4 on track, but I'd say all that adds up to a greatly depreciated track experience. 

Thats why the M235i is a great shout, because it's not too expensive, will do the commute well, and also some fast/fun stuff.