James Hilton

Best Way To Run In New GT86...

27 days until I'll be the proud owner of a red Aero GT86. Literally cannot wait as my last car was written off and it wasn't my fault. Been 5 months nearly without a car!

Anyway I know in the manual it says to drive below 4,000rpm for the first 1,000 miles, however does anyone have any better advice or knowledge of running the engine in?

Cheers.

Nice choice man, congrats.

Here for the comments as I'll be picking up a black manual SE in August.

I did ask the dealership and was told they are good to go but I'm sure all new engines need to be broken in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are differences of opinion. To summarise a recent thread when I asked...

- Toyota advice is as you stated. But within that limit give a engine a good workout and avoid putting load on the engine in too high a gear.

- Some favour using the engine with enthusiasm from the start. No one has reported any adverse effects.

Me? I'm a coward and stuck to the Toyota advice (with one eye on the warranty just in case I had any teething troubles.)

I need to learn how to drive carefully too again soon! Gotta drive 500 miles to let the new rods and crank all settle in before booting it. Not easy with whacking great supercharger on top of it!

Just no full throttle for extended periods and maybe just go for a long cruise for the weekend to rack up a few easy miles?

Okay, the 4000rpm limit is for those who have no understanding of such things. It's a safe way to run an engine in. So you could do that. 

It's better though to fully load the engine when it's warm. For example full throttle in second to 4000rpm then lift off and do this at least every time you drive it. Increase the RPM's as the mileage goes up. Vary the revs, get the engine under load, this helps seal the rings. Do not use cruise control and speed up and slow down if you are on the motorway. Also don't just cruise in 6th, use 5th as well to work the engine. 

I increased my rev limit as I went, with it starting at 4000rpm so by the time I had done 500 miles I was up to 5000rpm and by the time I had done a 1000 miles I was up to 7000rpm. One I went over a 1000miles I was redlining it regularly. I still do! 

My car hasn't used any oil in 65K miles. 

I think it's better to run the engine in harder than it is to run it in softer. The absolute worst thing you can do is labour the engine. So don't cruise around at 1000rpm in top gear. In fact never ever do that. I was careful to keep the revs at at least 2000rpm. Obviously now 1500rpm is a minimum. For the first 1000 miles try using one gear lower than you normally would. 

Don't forget the running in period isn't just about the engine, the brakes, tyres etc also need to be run in too. At the end of the day, weather you are running the car in or not, just don't abuse the car when cold or labour the car etc.

I ran in mine as per the book. 

Manufactures are not going to spend £££ in development and not tell you the best way to run in a engine. 

Just my thoughts though 

Like you should with all cars, keep the revs low until the engine has warmed up (do this during run in and for the life of the car). You will then be safe to go up to 4,000 if this is what it says in the book. The reality is, if the book says 4,000 it would probably be safe to do more than this - you have a 5 year warranty which the manufacturer needs to take care of so they are definitely going to give you a very safe figure to stick to and if you accidentally go above this it will still be within an acceptable tolerance.

As someone else said, you also need to take care of the new brakes and tyres - these normally need a few hundred miles for run in (something like 500).

I saw on my old car forum that usually when people drove their cars hard from the start, obviously letting it warm up first, the engines produced more power on a rolling road than those that were run in softly. I ran my last car in by the manufacturers recommendations and it was meant to be 133 bhp stock yet it only produced 122 bhp... Modified the living hell out of it though to 170 bhp. RIP Twingo. Thanks for the advice.

Went for lots of 50 to 70 mile runs to great cycle the engine, as suggested ran at times a gear lower to get engine spinning but under 4k

Very occasionally after 750 miles and engine warm occasional to 5000 rpm.

Building to 7500 once over 1000 miles.

One thing now it's run in you can feel how free it is to 4000 rpm , so can see the benefit of being more free with the revs earlier

I've done a bit of reading in anticipation of running in my car (whenever the damn thing gets here). Ultimately its all seems pretty inconclusive, there isn't much in the way of hard scientific evidence to suggest whats best. However from what I've read I'm now inclined to go for the hard lower rev approach, its makes sense to me that harder loads increase the pressure exerted on the piston rings helping them bed in better and quicker (this may be rubbish i dont know), however keeping the revs lower doesn't stress new components too hard during the break in, including clutch transmission etc. Laurens method seems sounds, I'm going with that kind of approach.

don't listen to the showroom guys, the one who rode shotgun on my first demo run tried to convince me the VSC button changed the suspension settings!  and his mate told me the battery was running down because I hadn't turned everything on and loaded it up as it charged better that way !!

I ran mine in as Lauren said above. 

warm it up, load it with varying throttle, work the gears and increase the rev limit in stages after 1000 with the odd little blip over 4000 for "overtaking purposes only", I raised the rev limit guide light/beep by 1000 rpm every, 100 miles after the 1000 as well. I also found setting up torque app (or similar like  dashboard on ios or android, hobdrive on android or win CE) on a very cheap iconia 7" android tablet showing oil temp etc was useful to show when it was warmed up properly. Now at 13000 miles and it's so free revving I'm afraid I occasionally forget myself and bounce it off the limiter. Best advice I was given....it's a great car so enjoy it while you can.