Sign in to follow this  
smudge

EBC brake pads - red or yellow?

Going to be getting some new EBC brake pads to go with the new brake kit being fitted at the weekend

I'm stuck between their yellowstuff and redstuff range. Red is designed more for street use with occasional track, yellow is leaning more towards track with a street element, but the brake dust rating is very high

Anyone had any experience of either range?

Or would you opt for another brand like DS2500's?

Had yellow on previous car, new compound not the old. They are great, id say they were 90% of DS2500's for 50% price. Also have them on my track car and they seem quite happy even after 20min sessions. Heard a lot of negatives about redstuff.

TBH that 50% increase was for my previous car. DS2500's are great, never took mine on track but they have a brilliant reputation. 

I had yellow stuff on my old mr2 and thought they were pretty good. The same car had endless pads on it when it originally came from japan and they were phenomenal!

I use yellowstuff after having a chat with a tech guy at the Race and Autosport Show at the NEC in 2013 who was involved with the development of their GT86/BRZ range. I do a fair amount of track, they work fine for me on track (I sometimes over do it and do 20 lap sessions) and I have had zero issues with them on the road as well (i.e. when cold and I get to the end of my road they work just as well as OEM.)

So for me they work fine, just my paint on the calipers can't cope with the temps generated on track (and I used 300C engine lacquer not caliper paint)

Alec

Saves me starting a new thread. Considering a EBC yellow stuff as they were on offer as part of a kit with braided hoses and better fluid from TD. Are they still highly rated? I run Yellow Stuff back in 2014 on a car that was commuting on A and B roads at 4am so was driven pretty briskly for 100miles a day and they weren't great back then. Stock pads on that car lasted 45k and I sold the car at 52k with maybe 3k of wear left. Also a lot of brake dust too.

On 01/07/2015 at 10:23 AM, smudge said:

Interesting....

The DS2500's are only like £15 extra for a set of pads, so the price isn't really an issue

Might as well get DS2500's. Have them all round on my car. They are great on track and on the road. Dust isn't too bad either. Much, much better than other pads I had albeit on stock front calipers. 

Edit: Good choice. 

Had you bedded them in properly before the track day, Maurice? I did the odd 20 minute session at Oulton in mine and they were just fine, not troubled at all. 

I run Yellowstuff with KSports bbk front and stock rears. They have squealed for couple days but after that no noise, been on for 6mth (around 3.5k miles) and 4 track days later doing fine.

Have not decided yet if I would want to change them next time (may be if I do more track days), but they seem to work for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk