remal

Servicing the 86 yourself

Well not exactly. My BIL also one of my best mates was also a long time Toyota Mechanic. I would try him with my life and also looking after my GT86. 

So my intention was to get him to service it and he can stamp the book. He's offered to service my car. All I need to do it get the oil, filter etc...

Another reason I would rather he do it is that we can use the best stuff when servicing the car. 

The car does not need a service for a few months but just getting a list of what I need and what others recommend. 

I will be getting this http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-875-motul-8100-eco-lite-0w-20-petrol-engine-oil-100-synthetic.aspx

I have used Opie oils many times and found them to be very handy.

I've yet to check now much oil I Need

I have just bought some Evans waterless coolant as i wanted to add this to the car at the first service. 

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/AutoCool.html

I run this in my Kit car and have been impressed with it

I will need a oil filer, air filter and possibly pollen filter. Anything else I have missed? 

With regards to oil and air filter what do people suggest? keep with the standard OE ones or Cosworth air filter and uprated oil filter?

Just looking for a few ideas on what to look and whats recommended when servicing the car ourselves. 

cheers for reading 

Matt

Up to you with the air filter as there are a few options such as K&N, HKS etc. All much the same I would expect. 

In regard to the oil filter I would just use a stock one. TRD ones need to be changed twice as often and I'd honestly think that paying silly money for aftermarket oil filters is really just about bling rather than achieving anything. 

Again I would only use stock oils and coolant, just thinking warranty here. But it's up to you of course. 

Pitman uses Evans waterless coolant, might be worth dropping him a PM...

I use Millers Synthetic Oil / TRD filter but the general consensus is that it's wasted money if you're not doing trackdays, the original Toyo oil/filter is perfectly adequate for road use..

5 litres engine oil.

Spec K

Right so standard oil filter. Well I track my kit car and Fireblade (the bike a lot and still use the OE oil filter). Just thought I would ask beforehand with the oil filter 

My question would be why are you doing this, because you like diy maintenance or to save a few quid? You do also need to have one eye on warranty and resale value issues. Yes, legally a manufacturer cannot insist on main dealer servicing to honour a warranty up to 3 years, but it can potentially be an issue for extended periods like our 5 year one. The key issue is to also use the specified parts as listed in the schedule (although I realise the first service in particular is not much more than an oil and filter change), but if you go 100% diy you will have to keep a lot of evidence to satisfy this, receipts for the right oil and the like.

And resale value - well many people look for main dealer stamps, and worry if they are not there (sometimes for good reason). Of course many of the potential buyers/owners for our car will value respected indy garage stamps more - but if you haven't got either then you will almost certainly wipe far more off the resale or trade in value of your car then you will save on the original service costs.

So before you definitely go diy look at the other options out there. Those of us in the NW are lucky to be able to use RRG Macc of course which is the best of both worlds in my view (indy levels of enthusiasm for the car, value for money costs, happy to fit mods and still get a main dealer stamp at the end), but what are the possibilities in your own neck of the woods?

I have a few cars, 2 that go to dealers, 1 I service myself and alway have. the kit car which I also built. The Fireblade I have had for 4 years from new never went back to Honda and I would rather have my local JHS raving service and look after the bike than the local Honda I know are not great.

Resale value not to  worried about as I have about 4 people who want the car once I am looking to sale which i'm not for many years yet. Ok they may or could drop out but I've known them for years and they have bought from  me in the past a few times

In the end I have had many years of going on the dealer route and DIY route. Both have had the same outcome apart from it costing much more paying the dealers. 

the service list for these cars is remarkably sparse

boils down to replacing the fluids reguarly and thats about it, spark plugs are every 50K miles for exmaple

About the recomended 0w20 oil.. i have some doubts about the recomended type of oil in my country because of the average temperatures here.

So... the 0w20 is an oil for places with very low temperatures, since i live in Lisbon (lowest in the Winter might be around 5ºC and the highest in the summer is 40ºC and during the year the average might me arround 20º/23ºC) I think its no good to use that kind of oil. For example yesterday was 32ºC and i was thinking that all the oil was vanishing from the top of the engine.

What do you think of a sinthetic 10w30?? I might have to wait a few more seconds for the engine to stabilize the temperature but i think its worth it for those days with higher temperatures.

About the recomended 0w20 oil.. i have some doubts about the recomended type of oil in my country because of the average temperatures here.

So... the 0w20 is an oil for places with very low temperatures, since i live in Lisbon (lowest in the Winter might be around 5ºC and the highest in the summer is 40ºC and during the year the average might me arround 20º/23ºC) I think its no good to use that kind of oil. For example yesterday was 32ºC and i was thinking that all the oil was vanishing from the top of the engine.

What do you think of a sinthetic 10w30?? I might have to wait a few more seconds for the engine to stabilize the temperature but i think its worth it for those days with higher temperatures.

Luis, there is a technical thread on oil from Abbey Motorsport which could be a better place for your question, I suggest.

Spec K

I have had a few cars where I have not had them serviced, but done it myself. I have never had an issue with part ex as long as the car is out of warranty.

I actually asked Mazda UK how I would stand with a warranty claim if I serviced the car myself, they wrote me a letter stating "As long as the fault being claimed for is not as a result of a missed dealer service, the claim will be valid"

Some main dealers are getting daft on prices. my Mum has a 55 plate Cooper, she just had a letter from BMW Mini saying she can take advantage of their special offer to her.. an oil and filter change for ONLY £134 + vat!!! Bargain!!

If you read the handbook you'll see that 5W30 is listed as the option oil for hot climates. all the turbo boys tend to run this weight

but I'd stick with 0W20 if you're in the UK and NA

Thank you Special K... my mistake searching for the right thread, sorry

Did you find the thread, Luis? I know this is important in your temprature zone - and I'm posting a little more info today.

Spec K

If you read the handbook you'll see that 5W30 is listed as the option oil for hot climates. all the turbo boys tend to run this weight

but I'd stick with 0W20 if you're in the UK and NA

Word is that the serious players with GT86's (think GT Avon Championship - t/c or s/c) use 15/50 Motul.

(It's what it says on the tin...)

Spec K

I have had a few cars where I have not had them serviced, but done it myself. I have never had an issue with part ex as long as the car is out of warranty.

I actually asked Mazda UK how I would stand with a warranty claim if I serviced the car myself, they wrote me a letter stating "As long as the fault being claimed for is not as a result of a missed dealer service, the claim will be valid"

Some main dealers are getting daft on prices. my Mum has a 55 plate Cooper, she just had a letter from BMW Mini saying she can take advantage of their special offer to her.. an oil and filter change for ONLY £134 + vat!!! Bargain!!

Nige - we all know that, when you service, you use discarded chippy fat in the sump... your filter is a clogged up Tampax ...

.. and is it true you charged your Mum a mere £99.95 plus VAT and parts?.. ho yus, you're all heart, we can tell..

:rolleyes:  :P  :ph34r: 

Spec K

Did you find the thread, Luis? I know this is important in your temprature zone - and I'm posting a little more info today.

Spec K

Sorry for the delay, but no i didn't!!! I have been trying to find more information because these days the air temperature have been around 35ºC and the oil temp goes to a bit below the half of the scale.

I am seriously considering changing to 5w30 next time.

Strange one this. i was just talking with a Mate who owns this place http://www.advancedautomotives.com/  just popped in to see what he can do for air and oil filter befor buying online. I was talking about the 0w20 oil that's recommended to use and Nick showed me this

http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/store/product/374-5-ltr-fuchs-titan-pro-s-10w-50-engine-oil

15W50 recommended for road BRZ's through Roger clarke motorsport who he deals with a lot. 

I was to understand both the 86 and BRZ are the same car bare a few badges. 

Why would their be such a huge difference in what you can you and what others suggest you use. 

I have Motul 8100 0w20 i'm putting into the car