Lee

Lee's HKS v2 Supercharged 86

Hi, thought I'd start a thread to track progress of my car. I've planned to keep it for a while and slowly turn it into my next race car, will still be street influenced for quite some time yet.

As the car is now it is standard other than wheels tyres and pads.
Just had a major service done today (all fluids) *note, I would change your gearbox oil way before toyota recommends! It was minging.

Been on 3 track days over the last couple months of ownership at knockhill.

Wheels are Rota Titan 17x9 ET42 supplied by rarerims with Nankang NS2R 235/40 which are surprisingly good! Pads are DS2500 which are not the best IMO - for my needs anyway.

Couple obligatory pictures from knockhill
7A5B1A44-3C47-4583-AB4F-C4652EA5F938_zps

953BC455-4104-4AD3-8ECD-4EA6D481EE26_zps

And a short video from one of the sessions

I've ordered KW Clubsports from RA and some adjustable rear arms. Also purchased an AP "formula" brake kit (332 x 26mm disc) as these should be suffice for what I'm currently after.

Having come on from building a full on face car I'm content with the slow pace at which this car will turn silly - I.e. I plan on using it a lot more rather than constant design changes etc - pic below of the old mini

IMG_0798_zps7c1ca2c8.jpg

IMG_1435_zps290509e1.jpg

Cool,  notice you were driving Knockhill the wrong way round. I was thinking, 'what's going on', but I figured it out when the pitwall appeared on your right! 

Sounds like an interesting project. Not sure about Nankangs, though. 

Agree with Nigel - Lee, you're a true petrolhead! Look forward to meeting you at the odd trackday - any plans to upgrade the induction?

(I was surprised how much your seat backrest moves in the video...)

Spec K

Cool,  notice you were driving Knockhill the wrong way round. I was thinking, 'what's going on', but I figured it out when the pitwall appeared on your right! 

Sounds like an interesting project. Not sure about Nankangs, though.

Yeah it was the first time I've done knockhill in reverse, I'm not sure if I prefer it in that direction, it was really good.

I wasn't sure about buying nankangs either, hankook used to have the same rep etc. I've now used 888, 595rsr, v70a, Dunlop slicks on track between this car and the mini and I don't have a bad work to say about the nankangs, very good tyre (possibly over exaggerated since I went on to them from primacy's)

Agree with Nigel - Lee, you're a true petrolhead! Look forward to meeting you at the odd trackday - any plans to upgrade the induction?

(I was surprised how much your seat backrest moves in the video...)

Spec K

Induction will probably be upgraded to 'forced' haha but I keep changing my mind with it all. If forced it will be supercharged though.

I have used all the above tyres and run the NS2r's on the road, in normal wet conditions they are as good as most road tyres. If you want to charge around in monsoon conditions then you are crazy anyway. 888's have very little more grip in the dry and the wet they are scary.

People shy away from brands that are not main stream just because of the name, but it does not mean they are rubbish. It's not that many years ago that people slated Yokohama, but now look. I wouldn't use a lot of popular brands

because they don't perform regardless of the name. Like lots of other products we all have preferences, but it should be based on experience not preconceptions.

Fair comment, Kevin. I have not specifically tried the NS2's so I don't have experience of them. I have tried other Nankangs on other people's cars, they were okay in the dry, but not in the wet. 

I have also tried tyres like the Toyo T1R which again, I just felt weren't good wet or dry, but that was due to soft sidewalls which took the precision out of the steering. The same is true of GSD3 F1s (though they're old tyres nowadays), though havint tried the newer Assymmetrical Goodyears, they still seem to suffer a too soft sidewall. I have used Yokohamas for over ten years, so I would disagree that it's a tyre that people wouldn't use a few years ago. Yokohama did a specific tyre for the Elise back in the early noughties, the Neova LTS and all accepted in the trackday community that this tyre was the best thing since 'sliced bread'. It was a fantastic tyre that I fitted to my then supercharged AW11 and in the wet, it was just stonking. Also there was the A048 as well of course. The 888 was always seen as a budget contender in comparison. 

Whilst I wouldn't fit 888's to my car, I have on occasion tried a race car with them and in the dry they were great, loads of grip etc and I found it easy to balance the car and maintain decent cornering speeds. 

So I quite like Yokos and see them as a well established tyre. I also like Contintental Contisport Contact. Another really good tyre. Bridgestone are another manufacturer who makes some excellent rubber. I had RE010's on my old DC2, that was a tyre specifically designed for the DC2 and NSX.  

When it comes to how cheaper budget tyres work in the wet, it's not so much about grip but more about feel (which becomes more critical) and progressiveness, simply because when you're driving in the wet, you work the tyre in it's slip angle and beyond far more than you do in the dry and having good feedback is critical when you're trying to balance the steering and throttle. 

So when it comes to tyres, I will only fit the best that I can afford and trying out how different tyres feel is something I've always enjoyed doing as it can make some difference to how the car feels and behaves. 

I totally agree with your opinion Lauren. I've always done the same, purely because finding out your new cheap tyres don't grip makes them a surcharge to the "proper" ones.

Theres many good cheap tyres that surpass people expectation for the price. Federal 595RSR's are now control tyre in a couple of race series, they also perform nicely in the wet. The nakangs are also now a control tyre in a race series (mx5 I believe) so I am not overly concerned with them being a dangerous tyre.

I am not a tyre snob and didn't chose the Nankangs over the other options, AD08R's were my first choice but rarerims didnt have that tyre available in the size I was after, I was left between 888's (too much of a road compromise) T1R's, and the Nankangs, decided to give them a bash as I said and have been pleasently surprised. Not been on track in the wet yet (next day is November 23rd, knockhill so most likely in the snow :lol:) but driven at sensible speed on the road in the wet, feel was there as was grip.

Everyone has a different opinion on what makes a tyre good, different uses and driving styles. Would I buy morongi / lower spec nankangs? No, but when a company releases a new track day tyre then I am interested regardless of manufacturer.

I must admit, I wouldn't fit a track day tyre to a road car. I like my car to be as good as it can be in the wet and and all trackday tyre are aimed at dry trackdays really. 

When I used the Advan Neova LTS, that was basically a wet trackday tyre for the Elise and that was just fantastic. 

My issue is I love driving quickly in the wet so using a trackday type tyre would be a compromise and after all grip isn't an issue in the dry. 

When companies release tyres for race series and pretty much all tyre manufacturers have done this over the years as it's reasonably good marketing. The problem is the trackday tyres aren't optimal for the road and their other offerings often fall well short. 

The general rule of thumb when it comes to tyres is that the more you pay the better tyre you get. 

As I said - different strokes for different folks.

I tend to keep quick driving contained to track days, only very occasionally will I drive spiritedly on the road. My criteria for a tyre is to perform as well as possible on track whilst being safe to use on the road. Winter tyres will be fitted during the colder months.

Its a very general rule of thumb - Labour rates in Europe and Japan are much higher than in China / Asia. Imagine the price of iPhone if assembled in America ;)

Fair enough. I do like my tyres to perform well on track though I'm not generally looking for outright grip, I want really good progressiveness and in the wet also on track. I do 30K miles a year, so there will always be some fast road driving somewhere, I just like to have tyres that are fit for the job whatever the weather. I haven't had the pleasure of a wet track this year.  :( 

Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll rain for Rockingham. 

Yes, I understand about the higher labour rates. I'd rather pay the higher rates for lots of reasons really. 

Hi Lee, after seeing your post in the other thread I thought I would check out your project.  

Having owned minis for the last 5 years, I fancied something different and although these are down in power compared to the Clubby which is now putting out 270bhp/237whp and 283.1/lb/ft torque, I have always fancied something Japanese.  These also have lots of potential with FI at some point.

How are you finding the switch to the GT86?

Also ordered a whiteline positive shift bush and a whiteline roll centre and bump steer correction kit that I'll get fitted prior to Knockhill on Sunday.

Quick video from knockhill yesterday, need to do some tweaking of tyre pressures alignment / damper settings but the car behaved ok. Had quite a bit of low speed under steer that I'll get ironed out next year.