smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

The question is will you get it running before the new year. Saw another LS swap from Poland the other day. Will be interesting to see what yours sounds like in comparison. 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

The question is will you get it running before the new year. Saw another LS swap from Poland the other day. Will be interesting to see what yours sounds like in comparison. 

It'll sound very different to an LS. The 1UZ is a lot more "violent" sounding in my opinion. 

Just hop on YouTube if you're intrigued by the noise they make, plenty of vids on there :)

Turns out that the FBM fuel return kit was a piece of crap. No instructions for install and the only possible way to install the return line into the OEM fuel basket was to cut holes...

After asking FBM for instructions and some assistance, I got nothing. So promptly returned the item along with a shitty email about their poor product and even poorer customer service.

We still needed a fuel return system for the 1UZ and I came across a beautiful piece of kit from Radium Engineering. A little pricey, but it fully replaces the OEM fuel hanger and basket meaning that it simplifies the whole install process. Unboxing it today, I was amazed at the quality of all the pieces. It's almost too pretty to stick back into the fuel tank where it'll never be seen again :(

Also chose to upgrade the fuel pump to a 450lph unit as the 255 I originally has would be on it's limit for the 1UZ. 

20181117_123807.jpg

20181117_124514.jpg

20181117_124357.jpg

20181117_124421.jpg

20181117_124408.jpg

20181117_124431.jpg

20181117_124503.jpg

20181117_124442.jpg

20181117_124318.jpg

20181117_124258.jpg

20181117_124344.jpg

34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Shame you can't add a viewing window through the back seat. It looks the part so should work very well. 

I've come to the conclusion on this build, that it's easier to pay a little extra for bits that will work properly. Parts that are designed to replace OEM rather than having to alter/modify existing bits, will generally work be easier to install and work better in the long run also.

The previous guy wanted to cut corners wherever possible, I'm prepared to spend a bit more to get this done properly now.

6 hours ago, smudge said:

I've come to the conclusion on this build, that it's easier to pay a little extra for bits that will work properly. Parts that are designed to replace OEM rather than having to alter/modify existing bits, will generally work be easier to install and work better in the long run also.

The previous guy wanted to cut corners wherever possible, I'm prepared to spend a bit more to get this done properly now.

Investment vs reward...

Shame the other guy didn't understand this. It makes for the very best builds!

Have you seen the work of RetroPower? Those guys know this, but each of their projects is easily a six figure price tag!!! 😮😮😮

I love this (achingly slow) build...

https://retropower.net/2018/02/05/rb25det-powered-datsun-260z-widebody/

Fuel system installed, lines run, pressure regulator mounted and connected into the fuel rails.

The new FPR has to be mounted near the battery so we bought a slightly smaller unit. Unfortunately didn't realise the terminals were opposite to the OEM setup :huh: so another slight delay until next week.

Just a few tiny bits left now like checking all the pulleys, belts, wiring loom to be connected again and mount all the oil pressure, oil temp and intake air temp sensors.

Base map is being created this weekend. Should be able to start testing everything soon!

received_338697400253205.jpeg

received_512399989237680.jpeg

received_206803530236922.jpeg

received_186878035509819.jpeg

The block does sit real nice in the bay. I couldn't wait anymore so I watched lexus ls400 straightpipe videos. A very jap sounding v8, should be right at home in your car. Will the supercharger whine? 

10 hours ago, TommyC said:

The anticipation must be killing you now Smudge?!

You have no idea!

8 hours ago, Samwise said:

Just stick the battery in the boot :) easy job

Why would I do that when there's a perfectly good spot in the engine bay for it? Not to mention creating extra work by relocating it

2 hours ago, Luke said:

The block does sit real nice in the bay. I couldn't wait anymore so I watched lexus ls400 straightpipe videos. A very jap sounding v8, should be right at home in your car. Will the supercharger whine? 

Try this one ;) should give a pretty good idea of what mine will be like

Smudge, do you have any idea how many people are doing a V8 swap vicariously through you and this project? (It must be considerable!!).

It's awesome and I, like many I suspect, will be jealous of the 'finished' project! The Jap V8 'soundtrack' will fit perfectly with the 86 😁😁😁

3 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Smudge, do you have any idea how many people are doing a V8 swap vicariously through you and this project? (It must be considerable!!).

It's awesome and I, like many I suspect, will be jealous of the 'finished' project! The Jap V8 'soundtrack' will fit perfectly with the 86 😁😁😁

I know of at least 3 that are currently being done. I also know of 2 that got started and never finished...

My main aim is to make sure this is still the 1st one on the road.

Progress continues on the V8, just the few final pieces of the puzzle until we can load the base map into the Motec ECU. Things like making a custom bracket for an idler pulley where the hydraulic power steering used to be, reinstalling the 1UZ air conditioning pump, checking the belt run etc. Hopefully the next few days will finally get us there.

In the meantime, a few more goodies turned up today.

2Forge ZF1 wheels courtesy of @Tarmac. Lovely forged units so nice and light, but at an affordable price compared to most forged wheels!

AEM water/meth injection kit courtesy of @Mark@Abbey M/S. Went for the upgraded 5gallon tank as I think my charger will eat through the meth, especially on track.

Also had my rear 5x114.3 hubs arrive so I can change all 4 over the weekend.

20181206_173346.jpg

20181206_173353.jpg

20181206_173359.jpg

20181206_174204.jpg

They are nice wheels and look similar to the brz sti wheels. How have you changed the hub pcd, is it re drilled oem hubs, modified subaru wrx sti hubs? 

Also why would you go through all that effort to fit a wheel that comes in 5x100? 

What spec were those zf1's you got from tarmac sports? 

35 minutes ago, Luke said:

They are nice wheels and look similar to the brz sti wheels. How have you changed the hub pcd, is it re drilled oem hubs, modified subaru wrx sti hubs? 

Also why would you go through all that effort to fit a wheel that comes in 5x100? 

What spec were those zf1's you got from tarmac sports? 

I didn't do the conversion specifically for this wheel. I did it for a wider choice of wheel in the future.

Partshopmax do the front hub conversion, whereas the rears simply bolt on from an 08+ Impreza WRX STI.

I would've gone with my usual 18x9.5 but 2Forge only do 8, 9 and 10J. So I've got 18x9 ET32 on the rear and ET2 on the front to accommodate my new Todoroki wings.

Then once I've sorted the rear end out I'll get another pair in a wider width and offset.

I see that makes more sense if your going to switch to a rarer wheel choice later. Great that the rears are straight from subarus part box. 

1st chance I've had to do some work of my own on the car today! 

Finally got round to installing the new 5x114.3 hubs, complete with new ARP studs for extra strength and length.

Fairly simply procedure taking about 2 hours in total, didn't manage to do the rears yet as I had to leave the garage just after lunch. Had a quick test fit of the new 2Forge ZF1 wheels, should be a nice fitment with the new front wings.

In the meantime, Simon and the Carson Performance team are putting the finishing touches to the engine, fuel system all complete, oil and water lines/pipes all sorted, belt run 95% done. So many fiddly little jobs that all take a lot of time up.

Saturday should be an interesting day...;)

20181213_114110.jpg

20181213_114114.jpg

20181213_114739.jpg

20181213_140912.jpg

20181213_140927.jpg