Keethos

Keethos' GT86 Journey Back To Health + Mods

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Hope you've got some more speed, Keith's a quick man!

I know!!! Still annoyed he beat me at Cadwell last year :lol:

25 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Arh cheers dude! Though I think the gen 7's have more power than the gen 6's so minimum amount of mods please 😚

Can get a 140 or 190 bhp one, I'm aiming for the latter :P

Never even considered a corolla, was looking at MR2's at one point but they were a bit much for a decent one, plus mods for track so this was a good choice for me.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, knightryder said:

How about the Corolla T-Sport? Same VVTLi engine but without the coupe tax.

I have thought about them but they tend to be higher priced so no overall benefit, prefer the look of the Celica too. 

11 hours ago, Keethos said:

Never even considered a corolla, was looking at MR2's at one point but they were a bit much for a decent one, plus mods for track so this was a good choice for me.

What has Pete already done to the gen 6?

15 minutes ago, jamie_gt86 said:

I have thought about them but they tend to be higher priced so no overall benefit, prefer the look of the Celica too. 

My mate who works for Toyota picked up his Corolla for a less than half of the price of the Celica, if you're after the 190. He's also a fan of the Celica but has basically said that the Corolla was a no brainer, same performance, better practicality, lower price. The only issue is that there are fewer aftermarket parts, but he's not that bothered about that any more.

The Celica has some BC Coilovers, exhaust, pod filter, rear strut brace. No idea what else its got but its a good start, though not a massive fan of the exhaust, too raspy for my liking but not worth changing sadly.

5 hours ago, Ade said:

Does the corolla handle as well as the Celica? I've heard they are a bit rubbish. 

The Corolla is a bit soft, but then again is a stock Celica a good handling car? :P The 202 is a bit of a barge, blame all the high quality build interior for that (apparently).

2 hours ago, Riceburner said:

Ignore the Haters Keith

Look forward to C class next year :P

DSC_2376.JPG

DSC_2196.JPG

Your looks cool, just the right level of track and road IMO

So after 2 weeks without my car, I finally have her back and I missed her dearly! A massive thanks to Mike and Nick from Tuning Developments for their excellent service as usual, especially since they only needed the car for a day or two but was willing to look after her for a full 2 weeks while I was away. Also a massive thanks to Will for chauffeuring me there 1f61b.png:P

So I've had my GT86 modified with a Cobra Resonated Catback with 2nd Cat delete for many years now, not too long ago, I replaced the straight pipe for a Berk High Flow Cat ready to replace the exhaust manifold which would remove the remaining Cat on the car as well as that pesky torque dip, though now I've heard other people still failing their MOTs because the HF Cat doesn't get hot enough to pass but ah well.

Over New Year, as a late Xmas and Birthday present to myself, I decided to get the Tuning Development's increasingly popular Catless Manifold (Unequal Length version) and Overpipe, along with a another remap via ECUTek which was done on a dyno this time rather than purely on the road mapping.

The Cobra on it's own is a reasonably loud exhaust system, even when resonated (see my other videos on track for a idea of the volume) but with the UEL manifold, it's a fair bit louder when you are around the 3000rpm mark or are part or full throttle, not sure if my recent shunt at Croft has affected the back box in anyway but it is a bit rattly and resonates when you blip the throttle which makes it sound really loud.

However it does sound awesome, reminds me a lot of the Aston GT4 that I drove recently 1f60d.png😍 especially since it now pops and crackles more than it used to and once you are on it and you get above 4000rpm, the volume isn't much louder than it was before. I just hope that it won't cause me any issues when trying to get on track, I'm thinking that since the car needs to be tested at about 5500rpm, that it'll be quiet enough there....even though it'll be reasonably loud getting there 1f61b.png:P Suppose if it doesn't then I'll either have to get someone to weld in another silencer section or even going the whole hog and dampen the sound with a Turbo Charger 1f603.png:D

Obviously I haven't yet full tested the car and really pushed her but so far I'm impressed, it does feel a lot more eager low down, so from 2000rpm onward, it just pulls constantly now and as you can see from the dyno plot, I gained a decent 30ftlb where the torque would normally dip. It's a shame that I didn't really get any more hp compared to some other people, and still can't figure out how I managed to drop from around 204hp to 198hp which was shortly after I had the car first mapped and the exhaust fitted, to just after my first crash with no major changes besides a quick update to the map in-between. I've managed to get back up to 202hp which I'm happy with (not really chasing numbers like) but it does bug me a bit how I've seen someone else with 213hp with a very similar setup to me.....just hope that there's nothing mechanically wrong with the car from the crash still.....as Mike and Nick did struggle to swap the manifolds over considering that all the ones they've done so far have all literally just dropped off and the new one slotted straight back on again 1f616.png😖 But I keep telling myself that if anything was wrong, it would have failed by now so hay ho....just one of those things I suppose.

Also, while I was dropping Will off to pick his car up and for me to drop mine off a couple of weeks back, I had a quick play with Will's knob (waaaaay) and felt how good the MTEC Shift Spring was.....so I had to quickly dash out of the car and get Mike to add that to my job as well 1f61b.png:PHighly recommended (along with the Whiteline Positive Shift Mount if you hadn't already done so), the stock gear shifts were pretty good but with these small lil mods, really transforms the feel of the gear changes, a lot more positive and assuring without any increase in stiffness (waaaaay)....now it has an even more bolt action feel to it.

No automatic alt text available.

So to continue on from my last video of my new manifold, as you may know, I had a quick test with Jeff's sound meter and it's not looking good. No idea if we had placed the meter in the right place or not but I think I'm over the limit for most tracks and right on the limit for the couple of the more generous tracks in the UK.

So while the sound meter was in-between the twin exhausts at roughly 1/2 a meter away and holding the revs at about 5500rpm, I was getting about 105dbs which again is right on the limit for some of the more generous tracks like Oulton Park (which I am booked in for on the 24th Feb). The car does get quieter once it gets going above 4/5000rpm but still not quiet enough....plus I even saw it peak at about 118dbs on the way up to 5500rpm (would the spike stop me from going on track?).  Note that this is accordance to how MSV test their cars, we did do the usual test of just behind one tailpipe at 45deg but that still read about 103dbs.

So next week, I've got my car booked in to John Ashley Exhausts in Walsall, no idea if they're any good but I've heard they've been around for a very long time so must be doing something right. Guna see what they can do, hopefully the can put together a heavily silenced front pipe to replace my Berk High Flow Cat which to be fair....probably isn't doing a lot and won't help pass an MOT so let's scrap it and see what we can fit in there instead.

My set up gives 91db with the normal sound testing parameters, I think it is the Cobra exhaust. They do seem historically loud even when stock, I remember testing Faiths and has a different type of bark let's say. Hope you get it sorted.

I always say that if you think your exhaust will be too loud for the track, it probably will be. Hearing the sound clips it does sound pretty loud and if you have measured it correctly you will be black flagged on pretty much every track. 105dB is right on the limit for a 'noisy' track day. 

I wonder if, with these sound issues and the MOT issues that HFCs are having, it's worth getting a catted aftermarket manifold.

Or is that such a restriction that there isn't much point in changing the manifold at all....?

44 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

I wonder if, with these sound issues and the MOT issues that HFCs are having, it's worth getting a catted aftermarket manifold.

Or is that such a restriction that there isn't much point in changing the manifold at all....?

I had no issues getting through MOT with the Berk HFC pipe.

48 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

I've got a catted manifold and stock second cat so once it's been mapped in a couple for weeks I'll post the dyno up. Butt dyno suggests it's definitely helped with the torque dip.

1 hour ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

With your setup, just keep the stock system in place, if you want to chase power, then you don't wanted a catted manifold. 

27 minutes ago, will300 said:

With your setup, just keep the stock system in place, if you want to chase power, then you don't wanted a catted manifold. 

I've been looking at manifolds to potentially try and get a bit more top end performance - from 240 to 260-270whp. 

On the butt dyno, and on the real one, the car has a bit less towards the top of the rev range. It's still very fast, and only feels that way because of so much mid-range performance........I think a manifold-overpipe-HFC-catback  and retune would do the trick, but manifold looking more trouble than it's worth currently.

Also if I built the engine and cranked the boost up, a manifold would be required.