2 minutes ago, rob275 said:

What blower are you going for? I wasn't aware you was still on the Primacys 

No reason to change the tyres yet, there's still tread left.

Going for a TVS based blower once I've replaced half the house :lol: (read when I'm allowed a car budget again....)

44 minutes ago, knightryder said:

No reason to change the tyres yet, there's still tread left.

Going for a TVS based blower once I've replaced half the house :lol: (read when I'm allowed a car budget again....)

Surprised they are still going, you certainly got some good innings out of them. I must admit, although I didn't have my primacies on for too long they are sitting in the garage and have loads of tread left. I'm eagerly awaiting figures from the harrop. After a more track biased blower myself now. Sprintex is still giving me plenty of smiles per mile though.

26 minutes ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Very nice Rob, DSS stuff is excellent.

At £250, it'd be rude to have not snatched it up :)

6 hours ago, rob275 said:

Surprised they are still going, you certainly got some good innings out of them. I must admit, although I didn't have my primacies on for too long they are sitting in the garage and have loads of tread left. I'm eagerly awaiting figures from the harrop. After a more track biased blower myself now. Sprintex is still giving me plenty of smiles per mile though.

At £250, it'd be rude to have not snatched it up :)

I'm almost annoyed that you beat me to it, but my priorities sort of lie somewhere else with the engine shitting itself...

Project revival time! It's been a while since I actually done anything to my car. As some of you probably know I took some time away from spending time & money on the car to save money for a property. Somehow this failed and i've saved "-£4000"... yes, that's a minus. 

So what's changed since the last update?

- The alloy prop shaft has now been fitted (I honestly can't tell much difference, it's probably more noticeable on an N/A car? Still every little helps.

- I've had the HKS oil cooler fitted and temperatures are now peachy :) This was well overdue!

I also did sell my Sprintex a while ago but after Harrop had some delays and the guy seemed to be in a rush to get the sprintex off me I had to refund his deposit. Not particularly happy as I lost £30 out of the whole ordeal. He seemed to think that it took 90 minutes to take a Sprintex off a GT86 anbd he couldn't quite grasp the fact I had a social life on weekends and wanted to wait until Abbey had the harrop so they could take it off and put the new one on. Still, nevermind i'm going to save that money I was going to spend on the harrop and work on dialling in the handling of the car more this year.

Anyway... Intec 3rd brake light ordered from Amber as it was too good to pass up 

DSC_0483.JPG

Cusco headlight leveller ordered alongside it as i'm fed up of not seeing anything in the dark! 

DSC_0484.JPG

Cobra HFC also in my bedroom, this may actually be getting sold straight off the bat tbh. Not for any majorly concerning reason. Watch this space :) (sorry for bad pic i'm too short)

DSC_0486.JPG#

I shall be updating this post in the next couple of weeks I imagine with more news but that is all for now.

Things to fix on the car still:

- Front bumper, I need to get this off and see what clip damage has been done, i'm a bit OCD so I may end up buying a new bumper, splitter and smoothing it in again so it sits right. Lesson learnt not to drive home after the xmas meet in Birmingham with a horrendous hangover. All in all that was a pricey weekend which I do not like talking about :lol:

- Milltek exhaust, seriously do not buy this shite. I have my MOT beginning of Nov so will be getting this sorted by then hopefully or if not i'll have to get off my lazy backside and put my stock frontpipe on because it's got a bit of wind atm.

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

The Cusco headlamp adjuster is a good mod, if you like seeing where you're going. Right time of year to get it sorted too. 

What are you doing with your handling then? 

I had a near death experience the other night which finally made me get my arse round to getting it lol. Nights are getting darker and not being able to see anything is not so fun when you're on the twisty's!

I have very little in adjustment of my geo so i'll be getting control arms on the rear. Also going to be having a little nosey at what people have done with front & rear ARB's to weigh up the pro's and con's there.

I dont blame you for keeping the sprintex, as much as it gets a bit hot on trackdays, the harrop wont give you much, if any, more performance on daily driving and the amount of ££ you'd lose would put me off. Why not get the water injection that mark has fitted to a few cars? 

Always an option I s'pose @Ade my main reason for wanting the Harrop was future proofing for a build motor and putting some big power down in a couple of years. I'll do something in a couple of years but what it will be is anyone's guess at the moment. I think working on the chassis a bit will be far more rewarding for 2017 as I can get out on track a bit more and improve the times in the TSS a bit. With only having only done one trackday this year I feel like my driving ability (or what little I had of it) is going down the pan.

20 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Always an option I s'pose @Ade my main reason for wanting the Harrop was future proofing for a build motor and putting some big power down in a couple of years. I'll do something in a couple of years but what it will be is anyone's guess at the moment. I think working on the chassis a bit will be far more rewarding for 2017 as I can get out on track a bit more and improve the times in the TSS a bit. With only having only done one trackday this year I feel like my driving ability (or what little I had of it) is going down the pan.

Well you can always get ta used harrop down the line. 

None of the three tvs designs are going to get you big power btw. All three top out at about 380hp at the fly.

Unless you compound charge with a turbo too :D

In terms of ARB's, I've only experienced Mike B's Litchfield handling kit, which seems to be the best way to ruin your ride and your handling. He had lowered Eibach springs (terrible) and bigger ARB's front and rear. It was just terrible. I'm really not convinced about putting bigger ARB's, I think it may well compromise traction and it will increase your spring rate of course under lateral G. Have you got offset bushes on the rear for camber adjustment? I have these and have the right amount of camber (1.75 degrees) for what I want. I agree that it's far easier to get more accurate adjustment with adjustable lower arms, but I haven't got round to that yet. 

@Lauren yes I do have the offset bushes, again like you i'm unsure if the car will benefit from ARB's hence why I was going to weigh up peoples experiences with them. I might also get you to take my car out for a spin at the end of one of the TSS' next year to see what you think. 

Yeah, I'm not hugely convinced by uprating the ARB's either. I know people will go on about flatter cornering, but weight transfer is useful and important, the suspension needs to be able to work. Also I'm concerned that an uprated rear will compromise traction on corner exit. Happy to have go in your's if we coincide at a trackday or at a sprint if we get extra time, which is pretty rare. 

For the arb's my experience has been very positive and I definitely think they're a very underated upgrade.

For me they were way more beneficial with the flex a's than they are now with the Motons as the Motons just don't really need them (I could probably remove arb's altogether with the Motons).

I think it really depends on the car. One thing I noticed straightaway about the GT is how little it rolls comparitively to other cars even in stock form. For another angle, my AE86 with it's new suspension on has highlighted that the rear now rolls more than the front which is annoying, so I've ordered a bigger ARB for the rear to balance it out. So I think some cars need it more than others. I admit I've only been a passenger in Mike's car with the absolutely abysmal Litchfield 'handling package' and when he put his new Tein Advance suspension on, I suggested he switch back to stock ARB's when Richard asked me. It certainly works well now. 

When I followed Lauren and Mark in the AE you could see it rolling more in the rear so bigger ARB will help as Lauren said. 

When I changed back to standard ARB with new suspension it made a world off difference but I think the Litchfield was way to stiff and they were 24mm in diameter. I think whiteline vary between 16 to 22mm dependant what stiffness options people want.

Having EDFC also helps the car being more balanced which is why wont notice the car rolling as much due to it adjusting the compression/rebound on the go. 

15 minutes ago, MikeB said:

When I changed back to standard ARB with new suspension it made a world off difference but I think the Litchfield was way to stiff and they were 24mm in diameter. I think whiteline vary between 16 to 22mm dependant what stiffness options people want.

I think the Eibachs are hollow bars though - I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are the equivalent of the whiteline 18mm bar.

I have the Eibach's after swapping with another member on here. I can see how putting thicker ARB's on the stock suspension could ruin the handling and ride all in one.

Combined with an adjustable set of coilovers, such as mine, I think they provide a good compromise. I can run the damping on a softer setting than I used to, which helps a lot with ride quality, while still being able to corner flat, which is obviously a good thing.

I would say however, that having ARB's requires a lot of experimentation to get the setup correct. I have tried all 6 combinations of stiffness on the ARB's, along with around 20 different setups for the damping. I've settled for mid/stiff on the F/R ARB's respectively, and around half of the full range of stiffness on the dampers. The ride is probably too hard for some people, and on certain roads a little too hard for me, but I find it's a good compromise between making a noticable difference compared to the stock ARB's, and not being too stiff that it starts losing traction on the inside wheel under heavy cornering.

At some point in the future I may switch out to Whiteline ARB's, as I've always had a good experience with them, but as I didn't have to pay for these ARB's, it was an experiment worth doing I feel.