Deacon

Deacons '86

45 minutes ago, Tareim said:

a nice set of goodies, one thing I've just remembered after reading these updates... is there anything new yet on the suspension front?

I had the Motons rebuilt and serviced recently. The new stuff is still in production - the damper lengths on the 86 are proving difficult to get it working as they want. Most recent update was end of January but in reality,  even if that's the case,  it'll be easter before it's on the car. 

1 hour ago, gavin_t said:

Looking good. Just catching up with the thread. Apologies if I have missed it but who mapped your car?

When I first had the car I won a map in the first national meet from Abbey Motorsport. More recently, when I had the manifold changed, it was mapped by Td as they're far more local for me. 

On 24/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, Deacon said:

When I first had the car I won a map in the first national meet from Abbey Motorsport. More recently, when I had the manifold changed, it was mapped by Td as they're far more local for me. 

Anything to choose between the two? Tempted by the td packge for bang per buck but abbey is my local...

And fitted. There is a really nice induction noise under full throttle and at higher revs. It also made the space for the oil cooler lines that I wanted. I'm having a few other exhaust bits done and then the mapping will be tweeked so I'll post up what results it gives. 

IMG_20180207_164455_Hagrid_Clean.thumb.jpg.b6e1132a83b9e745c4eaf7693e7cc3f9.jpg

21 hours ago, Deacon said:

And fitted. There is a really nice induction noise under full throttle and at higher revs. It also made the space for the oil cooler lines that I wanted. I'm having a few other exhaust bits done and then the mapping will be tweeked so I'll post up what results it gives. 

IMG_20180207_164455_Hagrid_Clean.thumb.jpg.b6e1132a83b9e745c4eaf7693e7cc3f9.jpg

Your undertray appears to be missing?

I've always found the shift on my car (especially into 2nd) to be a little problematic when it's cold. 

I saw someone in an American group who fitted a shifter extension and said it made a massive difference. A quick look on ebay revealed this would cost me a whole £2.20 to try so I ordered one. 

IMG_20180207_080147_Hagrid_Black.thumb.jpg.77eac4b4d65e891d90f3d5b32c1331f0.jpg

The aesthetic is a bit meh but the effect is impressive. The shift even when cold is absolutely no problem now and shifts just need the lightest movement of the shifter. 

@will300 tried it in his car and was impressed enough to order one for himself which I know he's had fitted for a few days now and is still a fan.

I definitely prefer the shift with the extender on when the cars cold but possibly prefer the non extender shift when it's warm. In the original post I'd seen they combined the shifter extension with a short shifter and I can see how this would be a perfect combination. 

If you've got a slightly reluctant gearbox and can live with the look then I'd say it's £2.20 well spent! 

I also had the rear cusco under brace fitted and the cusco front steering rack braces. I'd picked these up as I saw that the GRMN edition uses something very similar so I figured if Toyota saw a worth in them and as they didn't cost a great deal, they were probably worth a try. 

I can't tell any obvious effects of the rear brace bar (and didn't really expect to be able to to be honest) but the effects of the steering rack braces seem quite noticeable. The initial steering response is sharper now which makes sense I guess as the slack which would have taken up some of the initial movement is now reduced. 

Rear brace bar:-

IMG_20180221_155124_Hagrid_Clean.thumb.jpg.1bafef0e40258b94e6e9e7d74a844377.jpg

Front steering rack braces:-

received_10155439616055847_Hagrid.thumb.jpg.b65461117bdc0d22e2153fd630f066e0.jpg

I've always found the shift on my car (especially into 2nd) to be a little problematic when it's cold. 
I saw someone in an American group who fitted a shifter extension and said it made a massive difference. A quick look on ebay revealed this would cost me a whole £2.20 to try so I ordered one. 
[mention=247]will300[/mention] tried it in his car and was impressed enough to order one for himself which I know he's had fitted for a few days now and is still a fan.
I definitely prefer the shift with the extender on when the cars cold but possibly prefer the non extender shift when it's warm. In the original post I'd seen they combined the shifter extension with a short shifter and I can see how this would be a perfect combination. 
If you've got a slightly reluctant gearbox and can live with the look then I'd say it's £2.20 well spent! 
I think your over compensating..... 🤣

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Any increase of vibration through the steering wheel with the steering rack braces? I am tempted by some bracing up there but heard over on FT86 of owners getting numb hands from sitting at motorway speeds for a while!

Just now, Varelco said:

Any increase of vibration through the steering wheel with the steering rack braces? I am tempted by some bracing up there but heard over on FT86 of owners getting numb hands from sitting at motorway speeds for a while!

Not noticed any change on that front and I've done three decent length motorway journeys since they were fitted the other day. 

I had a few exhaust tweeks done at Rogue Motorsport this week the main one of which was swapping the 2nd oem cat for a high flow item. While Rogue were doing the work they found that the cat in my JDL manifold had come out and got itself rammed into the overpipe! They replaced the overpipe for me and also reworked the catted manifold to make it into a catless version. 

Couple of pictures below:-

IMG_20180220_092539_436.thumb.jpg.c05bfed48a84b93a49aaeddf882c1fe5.jpg

received_10155436962010847.thumb.jpeg.32e54db278cafb9bf2dc03785c4f0f46.jpeg

And the reworked manifold and high flow sports cat in place:-

received_10155439616055847.thumb.jpeg.6e270d1e18513a7756e783c281fc68a0.jpeg

Below is a video clip of the car at startup and low speed manoeuvring (not a cold start):-

And a video running through the rev range:-

The video below is how it previously sounded recorded using the same camera and mic set up:-

As you can see it's a little louder now but not massively so. I'm not sure how it'll get on with Bedford's noise limits but I had a reasonable amount of headroom before so I'm hoping it'll be OK. If not then I'll look to have a resonator added to the second cat pipe. 

You have a very similar setup to mine now. I got warned for being close to the limit last time I was at Bedford, started short shifting by the noise meters after that and was fine for the rest of the day.

1 minute ago, DanJ said:

You have a very similar setup to mine now. I got warned for being close to the limit last time I was at Bedford, started short shifting by the noise meters after that and was fine for the rest of the day.

I was thinking we probably had a fairly similar set up so was going to message you about how you'd got on